MP3 Support Coming to PS4; No PlayStation Now Discount for Already-Owned Games

This is a discussion on MP3 Support Coming to PS4; No PlayStation Now Discount for Already-Owned Games within the PlayStation & Trophy News forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; It was previously rumored that the PS4 would, at some point, be getting some sort of external music functionality. Well, ...

KCCO!

MP3 Support Coming to PS4; No PlayStation Now Discount for Already-Owned Games

It was previously rumored that the PS4 would, at some point, be getting some sort of external music functionality. Well, reddit user, IWorkForSony, who has been verified as an actual Sony employee stated that Sony is indeed working on an update for that will bring MP3 and video player support to the console. The functionality can be expected by "the holiday season". Additionally, IWorkForSony also stated that DLNA media server support is also planned for some time next year.

Lastly, IWorkForSony also confirmed that with the upcoming PlayStation Now service, gamers that already own PS3 versions of the games that will be available via PlayStation Now will not receive any type of discount. Also, the subscription model for the upcoming streaming PlayStation Now has not been finalized. The public beta will serve to test different pricing models.

Source: Gamespot.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Great news

My thoughts on blank requests, they're like "...flyers. When someone tries to hand me out a flyer it's kind of like just saying, Here, you throw this away." - Mitch Hedberg

ToQ Rokugou

cool on the MP3 support but with a lack of a discount for my vast library of ps3 titles makes me want to keep the ps3 around more and not bother with the Now service since im sure it will be cheaper in the long run

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hallelujah praise jesus

I am Limitless

It's about time they add MP3 support. I don't see how they thought taking that out and leaving Music Unlimited as the only option could have been a good choice.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    It was previously rumored that the PS4 would, at some point, be getting some sort of external music functionality. Well, reddit user, IWorkForSony, who has been verified as an actual Sony employee stated that Sony is indeed working on an update for that will bring MP3 and video player support to the console. The functionality can be expected by "the holiday season". Additionally, IWorkForSony also stated that DLNA media server support is also planned for some time next year.

Lastly, IWorkForSony also confirmed that with the upcoming PlayStation Now service, gamers that already own PS3 versions of the games that will be available via PlayStation Now will not receive any type of discount. Also, the subscription model for the upcoming streaming PlayStation Now has not been finalized. The public beta will serve to test different pricing models.

Source: Gamespot.
    I find the lack of them not giving us the ability to play the games we already bought free is bullshit on that note fuck ps now the service for a rental is ridiculously outrageous! Like it would hurt them to let us play our already bought games! I thought the ps now was suppose to allow this last time I checked when they first announced the gekie severice! Why can't any company stick to their word! So basically everything bought on ps3 is now worthless!
    [/URL]

News Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDRobbins View Post
    I find the lack of them not giving us the ability to play the games we already bought free is bullshit on that note fuck ps now the service for a rental is ridiculously outrageous! Like it would hurt them to let us play our already bought games!

I thought the ps now was suppose to allow this last time I checked when they first announced the gekie severice! Why can't any company stick to their word!

So basically everything bought on ps3 is now worthless!
    While I do agree that prices in the Beta are quite steep, at this time it WOULD hurt Sony to grant you unlimited streaming for free. That costs a lot of money and the company as a whole is losing cash everyday. Since it's still a beta, there is time for the prices to level out, just don't expect huge discounts.

When Gaikai integration was announced, all it was stated to do was allow you to stream games from previous generations on PS4. The notion that game purchases on PSN would transfer to Now was simply a rumor that was denied by Sony. By never saying that purchases would transfer, they are sticking to their word.

Everything bought on PS3 can still be played on PS3. It's not as if PS Now swoops in and invalidates all of your purchases for that console. Now doesn't force you to get rid of your PS3. This service is mainly for people who may have missed out on the previous generation, as Sony wouldn't expect all the PS3 users of the world to drop the console completely just because there's a new kid on the block.

Toggle Spoiler

worlds biggest welch fan

I find the lack of them not giving us the ability to play the games we already bought free is bullshit on that note fuck ps now the service for a rental is ridiculously outrageous! Like it would hurt them to let us play our already bought games! I thought the ps now was suppose to allow this last time I checked when they first announced the gekie severice! Why can't any company stick to their word! So basically everything bought on ps3 is now worthless!
    Plug in your Ps3 problem solved. It's funny hearing this from someone who has beaten so many games
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

PRO Member

Uhhhhg here we go...

I find the lack of them not giving us the ability to play the games we already bought free is bullshit on that note fuck ps now the service for a rental is ridiculously outrageous!
    When you originally bought the game, PS Now didn't even exist. Even now that it does, nowhere at the point of sale does it specify you'll have access to the game across platforms other than the one you're buying it for. If you buy a game for the PS3 - expect it to only work on the PS3 (if it has cross buy for PS4/Vita, it's part of the minority). Sony owes you nothing - you've already received what you paid for.

Like it would hurt them to let us play our already bought games!
    Because electricity and bandwidth are free, right? They have to expend the cloud processing power to run the system and the games for you. This is more than just downloading titles. On top of that, this service is designed to work on 3rd party devices - an extremely powerful feature, one which does require investment. Sony doesn't care if you're using PS Now on a Playstation system or eventually on supported televisions or other devices - the cloud still needs to fully run the game for you, and that costs money.

Why can't any company stick to their word! So basically everything bought on ps3 is now worthless!
    What word? Can you please reference when Sony said PS3 purchases were guaranteed to transfer to PS Now? And your viewing of your PS3 game collection as 'worthless' is on you. They're still playable so long as you have the system they were intended for - you know...like the majority of every other gaming device out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Recreate View Post
    It's about time they add MP3 support. I don't see how they thought taking that out and leaving Music Unlimited as the only option could have been a good choice.
    They never took it out - they simply had other priorities to implement before they even got around to it. They explained it earlier in the year when everyone was crucifying them over no DLNA/MP3 support.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Why are people crying because they can't get discount on a game they already have? Just play it on that console? You can't go into a store and say "Hey, I have (NAME OF GAME) on this console, could i have another one for free?"

Sig by: djunglist

Lvl 8 - Gold

I had a feeling that MP3 support would be coming sooner rather than later. When Zen Studios announced that Kickbeat would be coming to PS4, I knew it was inevitable. A huge part of that game is playing your own tracks, so I'm guessing we'll be getting Kickbeat and MP3 playback around the same time.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Cool! MP3 support!

I never expected $ony to give me a discount on PS3 games i already own on PSnow (but i sure hope they give me a new trophy-list