Sony: EA Access Doesn't 'Represent Good Value To The PlayStation Gamer'

This is a discussion on Sony: EA Access Doesn't 'Represent Good Value To The PlayStation Gamer' within the PlayStation & Trophy News forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Following EA’s announcement of the company’s new subscription program, Access, people were wondering why is it only exclusive to Xbox ...

A.W

Sony: EA Access Doesn't 'Represent Good Value To The PlayStation Gamer'

Following EA’s announcement of the company’s new subscription program, Access, people were wondering why is it only exclusive to Xbox One. GameInformer reached out to Sony for clarification, and it seems like PlayStation 4 owners shouldn’t hold their breath for the program.

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative said. “PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”
    EA's Access program costs $5 per month or $30 per year and offers discounts to members, free (while membership is active) catalog titles, and pre-release access to game trials up to five days in advance. The program is in beta now, with Xbox One preview members getting first access yesterday evening. FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Peggle 2, and Battlefield 4 kick off the program as free-with-membership titles.

Source: GameInformer

O_o

After noticing EA's double Golden Poo awards, I'd be a little hesitant too.

Kiwi Defender

I kind of agree that it isn't exactly the best service offer out there (afterall, there's only so many games EA releases, and most of them are yearly franchises); however, they're talking for us and putting words in our mouths. Who is to say there's not a lot of PS3/死 owners who'd be interested in the service and looking forward to it?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

As much as I don't really support EA it's not really Sonys place, in my opinion, to make it unavailable to their costumers. If it offered a big enough catalog of games with full access and trophies then 30 for a year would be a steal. I see Sony reversing that decision, because a bunch of people are going to be upset.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

You could argue Sony had no need to agree to such a deal because EA were already providing games for the IGC (Dead Space 2 and 3, Bulletstorm, Burnout, Crysis 2 and 3, and Mass Effect 3 for example), unless EA pulled out of doing so then it makes sense for Sony to keep things how they are.

Sony will have it down the line perhaps. The problem I imagine is most of the tits who whinge about Plus on the PS Blog being the first to rant about any EA games appearing on Plus if it was already in EA Access.

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    As much as I don't really support EA it's not really Sonys place, in my opinion, to make it unavailable to their costumers. If it offered a big enough catalog of games with full access and trophies then 30 for a year would be a steal. I see Sony reversing that decision, because a bunch of people are going to be upset.
    Unless EA doesn't allow their games to be on Playstation Now, there's no real point to having both it and Now on the same system.

Xbox One doesn't have a rental service like Now at all - and Sony already said they have plans for a subscription based payment for Now [And it very well could be something integrated into Plus as well].

I'd rather pay for a subsciption to Now and be able to play just about any game I want, than pay a subscription to get only ONE company's games. I don't need to play the latest Madden or Mass Effect 5 days early.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Unless EA doesn't allow their games to be on Playstation Now, there's no real point to having both it and Now on the same system.

Xbox One doesn't have a rental service like Now at all - and Sony already said they have plans for a subscription based payment for Now [And it very well could be something integrated into Plus as well].

I'd rather pay for a subsciption to Now and be able to play just about any game I want, than pay a subscription to get only ONE company's games. I don't need to play the latest Madden or Mass Effect 5 days early.
    Knowing EA they might as well do exactly that: take their games out of Now to force Sony to let their service be available on Sony platforms. Afterall, they did create Origin to (funnily enough) compete with Steam and not have to share their earnings and instead enjoy them completely for themselves.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I'm a little confused at the math Sony used to decide it was a "poor" value.

EA games $5.00 a month=Bad
    PS Now games $2.99-3.99 for four hours=good?

After speaking with some hard core "Madden" friends who were waiting for '15 to drop before getting there next gen console the early release of the game on the One made the decision easy. They're quite pissed about this.

I personally could care less and wouldn't be picking up EA Access anyway and won't be using PS Now for anything other then the rare quick/easy/cheap plat it might provide.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 8 - Gold

Why are people comparing Access to Now? Sony themselves compared it to PS+, which is the proper comparison. PS Now is currently (and generally) for legacy games. Access seems to be not only for EA's legacy titles but also current gen titles going forward. However, while I couldn't care less about EA (DA:I is the only title they have currently announced that I'm even slightly interested in), I think it's stupid for Sony to presume people wouldn't find value in this service. I think Sony just doesn't want a competing subscription service intermingled with the current PS ecosystem, which is perfectly reasonable from a business perspective. But the people want and deserve a choice, and no good ever comes from denying it to them.

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    Why are people comparing Access to Now? Sony themselves compared it to PS+, which is the proper comparison. PS Now is currently (and generally) for legacy games. Access seems to be not only for EA's legacy titles but also current gen titles going forward. However, while I couldn't care less about EA (DA:I is the only title they have currently announced that I'm even slightly interested in), I think it's stupid for Sony to presume people wouldn't find value in this service. I think Sony just doesn't want a competing subscription service intermingled with the current PS ecosystem, which is perfectly reasonable from a business perspective. But the people want and deserve a choice, and no good ever comes from denying it to them.
    Even in comparison to Plus, Access offers less - outside of being able to play a trial of new releases a few days before release.

You *only* have access to EA games on it, Plus offers games from any willing developer. Plus also offers cloud storage for all of your saves, discounts on the PS store covering more than just 1 company's titles, the ability to automatically update your console and games [On PS3 - it's a regular feature on PS4], and the smaller free content - like avatars and themes.

Not only that, this seems like Access is going to be "current"-gen games only - the Xbox One isn't backwards compatible, and there's no way to play 360 games on it. Plus, on the other hand, covers the PS3, PS4 and the Vita - with games that overlap often for each console.

Unless they extend Access to include the 360 as well, Sony's right in saying that it isn't a great value compared to their own service.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    I made the comparison between Ps Now and Ea Access because they are both optional services where you are basically renting the games and getting nothing else.

Plus is a whole different option entirely imo. I feel Sony changed it from "optional" to a "must have" for many people when they decided you had to have it to play online on the PS4. It's also not just game rentals but cloud storage and auto updates and discounts in the Store.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Not only that, this seems like Access is going to be "current"-gen games only - the Xbox One isn't backwards compatible, and there's no way to play 360 games on it. Plus, on the other hand, covers the PS3, PS4 and the Vita - with games that overlap often for each console.

Unless they extend Access to include the 360 as well, Sony's right in saying that it isn't a great value compared to their own service.
    Oh, that's a good point. I shouldn't have used "legacy" titles. I just saw the list of games they were offering and made the assumption it was the last gen versions, but you're right, it's only on XBO, so yeah that's a much less valuable service, though the yearly rate is a lot lower than PS+.

Quote Originally Posted by Javro_07 View Post
    I made the comparison between Ps Now and Ea Access because they are both optional services where you are basically renting the games and getting nothing else.

Plus is a whole different option entirely imo. I feel Sony changed it from "optional" to a "must have" for many people when they decided you had to have it to play online on the PS4. It's also not just game rentals but cloud storage and auto updates and discounts in the Store.
    Well, that's still not accurate, because Now is literally hourly/daily rentals, whereas Access is a monthly service, just like PS+. And the month-to-month cost of Access is half the cost of PS+, while the yearly cost is 40% less. It also offers discounts to members, just like PS+ does.
    And while I agree that both Access and Now are optional, PS+ is still optional as well. Needing it to play online doesn't make it a "must have" or mandatory, regardless of how people feel about it. I had multiple 360s over a five year period (hooray RROD) and never once paid for XBL Gold. Online play is just as optional as any other subscription service.