PlayStation 4 firmware 3.0 is currently in beta in Japan and it appears PS4 users will be getting an alternate method of broadcasting and sharing their video games.
According to Japanese website Pocket News, with a translation via Gematsu, broadcasting via YouTube is coming to PS4.
Recently, YouTube announced it will be launching a new app and website, called YouTube Gaming, designed to host gaming content this summer. The hub will feature videos and live streams of over 25,000 games from various game publishers and YouTube creators.
YouTube streaming would offer an alternative to Twitch and Ustream for PS4 owners.
The translation also reveals users will be able to upload 10 second game clips to Twitter.
PS4’s Share function will also get the ability to support screenshots and video clips, in addition to broadcasting.
An Events section has also been added to the main menu to allow users to “discover, participate, and view events.”
Check out the entire list of features in the firmware beta test below:
- [Events] has been added to the main menu. From a PlayStation-related events list, you can now discover, participate, and view events.
- [Community] has been added to the [Friends] menu. [Community] is a feature that lets you find close players with similar preferences and interests. You can create a new community or join a previously established community. Through the community, you can get into games and parties, and discuss common interests.
- In [Now Playing], users will see a list of what users are playing, and from that list can easily start a game or form a party. You can also request to view a user’s gameplay. [Now Playing] has been added to What’s New, [Friends], [Community], and [Messages].
- [Messages] have been improved. You can view the [Now Playing] of other users, as well as easily start a party. Additionally, you can also add favorite groups to your favorites list.
- It is now possible to broadcast using YouTube.
- It is now possible to upload video clips to Twitter. (10 seconds maximum.)
- [Live from PlayStation] has been improved. Not only does it support broadcasts, it now supports video clips and screenshots.
- In [Settings] > [Accessibility] > [Automatic Scroll Speed] it is now possible to change the speed of automatic scrolling.
- In [Settings] > [Notifications], “Community Items,” “Gameplay Viewing Requests,” “Events,” and “Current Song” have been added.
- You can now comment on What’s New activity feed items.
- [Stamps] have been added to [Messages], allowing for more enjoyable communication with friends.
- [PlayStation Plus] has been added to the main menu. Here, you can get the latest information on the Instant Game Collection and member discounts.
- The Blu-ray Disc/DVD player now supports accessibility features. The scope of other accessibility features have been improved.
- You can now set game start-up restrictions while viewing its age information and rating icon.
- You can now create a child’s use sub-account from the user selection screen by selecting [New User].
- From [Settings] > [Parental Controls], you can now set a service to block harmful websites from being displayed. (There is a separate fee to use this service.)
Last month, Sony revealed PS4 lifetime sales stand at 25.3 million, surpassing the 20 million PS2 units sold in the same amount of time.