Should I Get This Game??

This is a discussion on Should I Get This Game?? within the Red Dead Redemption forum, part of the R; Okay, so I am a gamer but I have always had a problem with holding interest in games that don't ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Should I Get This Game??

Okay, so I am a gamer but I have always had a problem with holding interest in games that don't have much of a linear game play. I don't know what it is, I could never really get into Skyrim or Fallout at all and only a little bit for GTA, but got into WoW for a while and loved the Fable games. I don't know what it is that turns me off of some of the big titles though. Maybe I feel like since I don't have a direct goal all the time, I lose some focus or the plot doesn't interest me.
    I guess what I am asking others you have played this game is; Is this game easily appealing to those who aren't hardcore sandbox gamers?

Lvl 5 - Silver

Maybe you should buy max payne or something.. It's super linear.

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by S810666 View Post
    Maybe you should buy max payne or something.. It's super linear.
    I second this, since Red Dead is all free roam, like GTA.

PRO Member

As said above you should probably get something like Max Payne instead

Red dead Redemption is a fantastic game, but since you said you have never really been capable of getting into sandbox games, RDR isn't a game for you

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Lvl 3 - Bronze

yes buy it !! its very cheap now (specialy if you buy the bundle version wich is an awesome deal). nice long single player, funny multiplayer (nice free roam) and co-op :p

its alot of replay value !! its a sandbox but if you didnt got into skyrim or fallout or such, well those are rpg and RDR isn't, have an open world but RDR is different !

Lvl 10 - Platinum

is the online still active? been thinking about getting this at some point and seeing as how its like $25 for the goty edition i might get it, dont want to get screwed out of a platinum just cuz the multiplayer is dead, working on a nice platinum streak right now, trying not to screw it up by getting something impossible

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    is the online still active? been thinking about getting this at some point and seeing as how its like $25 for the goty edition i might get it, dont want to get screwed out of a platinum just cuz the multiplayer is dead, working on a nice platinum streak right now, trying not to screw it up by getting something impossible
    yes it still

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Rune2303 View Post
    As said above you should probably get something like Max Payne instead

Red dead Redemption is a fantastic game, but since you said you have never really been capable of getting into sandbox games, RDR isn't a game for you
    Red Dead was similar to GTA in some aspects for example you don't need to do the main story missions until you desire, in my case I spent some considerable time either hunting animals, doing the bounty hunter missions or play the mini games.

Rune2303 is right in that this game would probably not suit you if you can't get into sandbox type games.
    The Twilight Saga: A tale of a girl torn between beastiality and necrophilia.

*insert Latin phrase*

If you aren't a sandbox guy, Max Payne will make you glad.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Banned

If you have to ask for people's advice on whether to buy this game or not, you don't deserve to experience it's awesomeness.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    If you have to ask for people's advice on whether to buy this game or not, you don't deserve to experience it's awesomeness.
    No reason to be rude to someone who's asking an honest question Now to the OP: I'd say give it a shot. Even though it is a free roam/sandbox game, it's dame good from what I'm hering. I just got the GOTY edition, and have yet to try it. I know I'll like it because I like sandbox type of games. Give it a shot, and if you don't like it, sell it.

An old-fashioned cowboy

If you like sandbox games you'll probably like this game if you don't then you should probably pass.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

how much of a shooter is this? more like fallout 3 or cod? rpg elements? i know you can slow done time and pick your shots but i assume that ability is limited

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Okay, so here is my update....
    I went with my gut and got the game as the Game of the Year Edition was on sale at GameStop. I think so far I have totaled about 9 hours of gameplay and I am hooked. At least at the beginning of the game there are 3 or 4 different mini story lines that are all quite intriguing and where you actually feel the personality of your character by him having verbal dialogue. I also feel that the characters are top notch. The writing is phenomenal and I become really drawn to each character. The shooting is quite basic, but I don't have a problem with that. I understand that they cared more about the experience and story than making it a difficult shooter.
    My perception of sandbox games was altered, I believe, because I was not playing the games that interested me. I realized it’s not that I don’t like sandbox games, but rather, many RPG’s.

PRO Member

Oh yeah go 4 it The GOTY edition of course

Good News, Everyone!

how much of a shooter is this? more like fallout 3 or cod? rpg elements? i know you can slow done time and pick your shots but i assume that ability is limited
    1: There is quite a bit of shooting throughout the story, but is normally not very difficult. The shooting style is similar to other TPS games like Uncharted (no aiming down sights).
    2: Not sure about Fallout, but it is very different from CoD.
    3: You can rank up/gain fame, hunt animals for money, and encounter random events in the world (Ex. recapturing prisoners, returning a stolen horse/wagon, or even saving a hostage.)
    4: And yes, the Dead Eye (slowing down time) is limited, however you can increase the ability by completing certain tasks/ using special items.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

only a few hours into the game so far and i gotta say its kinda boring, maybe it was all those missions where you are doing menial tasks for people but its not very interesting so far, having said that i will agree that the writing and voice acting is particularly well done and i find myself laughing at some of the crazier characters and the stuff that they say, just hoping that the action picks up a little bit the further i go into the game, it would also be nice if the multiplayer wasnt a bunch of 12 year olds shooting everyone they see and screaming about how awesome they are, but i suppose that comes with the territory, havent played a lot of competitive mp games so im still kinda new to the whole thing

Lvl 1 - Bronze

only a few hours into the game so far and i gotta say its kinda boring, maybe it was all those missions where you are doing menial tasks for people but its not very interesting so far, having said that i will agree that the writing and voice acting is particularly well done and i find myself laughing at some of the crazier characters and the stuff that they say, just hoping that the action picks up a little bit the further i go into the game, it would also be nice if the multiplayer wasnt a bunch of 12 year olds shooting everyone they see and screaming about how awesome they are, but i suppose that comes with the territory, havent played a lot of competitive mp games so im still kinda new to the whole thing
    I understand what you are saying. Especially the first few hours where you have to follow Bonnie around and learning all the basics can become quite tedious. I haven't gotten into the MP, but I just kind of figured that type of thing would been what is going on as it probably isn't getting much outflow of players anymore.

This probably isn't the appropriate thread for this, but has anyone else noticed how hard it is sometimes to figure out who to shoot in a random shoot out situation? I have caught myself shooting the innocent on one occasion and now I just shot a lawman who was chasing a bandit (I was thinking he was a bandit chasing an innocent guy). After doing that I got myself into a situation where I go up to the scene and by the time I can assess what is going on I get opened up on and actually died.