OMG, the COntrols for this game are horrible!

This is a discussion on OMG, the COntrols for this game are horrible! within the Resident Evil 4 forum, part of the R; I own the original PS2 version of RE4, but never finished it (got stuck at the part where you have ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

OMG, the COntrols for this game are horrible!

I own the original PS2 version of RE4, but never finished it (got stuck at the part where you have to fight those invisible bugs in the sewers).

I bought this (HD) a while ago while it was on sale on PSN because I'm a big RE fan.

I played a little for the first time tonight and cannot believe how horrible the controls are. Were they always like this?

I changed the control scheme to Type II which took away some of the awkwardness, but am I the only one who thinks that out of the entire series of Resident Evil games, this has got to be the worst for controls? I had an easier time playing Code Veronica X.

I need someone to share my pain, lol., cause i really wanna try and complete this game. It's the only RE game I've never finished.

In2
    January MOTM

I can't really remember what we're those controls but to me RE controls we're always unintuitive and awkward.

Awesome Sig by Beam/Avatar by Me

In2's Endless Dream
    Check my Showcase to see my old/current work.

Follow and watch my latest work.

Possessed

The controls are not bad. They're meant to be restrictive and debilitating. It adds to the horror aspect of the game. Now you'll be frightened when you encounter large mobs of pitchfork-wielding enemies. Its done perfectly, and intentionally. Its beautiful.
    Thanks to Ramonalicious for the sig.

Ice Cream Firefighter

RE4 is the only one of the series that I haven't played this sounds disappointing but I am not deterred I will still play it

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Platinum Dohvakiin

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulTorment View Post
    The controls are not bad. They're meant to be restrictive and debilitating. It adds to the horror aspect of the game. Now you'll be frightened when you encounter large mobs of pitchfork-wielding enemies. Its done perfectly, and intentionally. Its beautiful.

Nice try but RE controls have always been horrible. People can play it towards the 'horror experience' factor all they want. the truth is they're just that bad. Always have been, and always will be. It's one of the things the entire series is known for. Good horror game and bad controls. I seriously doubt that it was deliberate and intentional on Capcoms part. I honestly believe they spent so much time trying to get the environment right. That the entire control scheme was just thrown together. As an after thought. It's awkward and barely works. Now it adding to the experience was probably not the goal they were looking for.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

My Own Worst Enemy

Yep I got the HD RE4 for free with plus and wanted to play bad cause I had only played a bit of it for gamecube back in the day.
    But the controls made me rage quit and I haven't tried since.
    Sucks too cause its a great game from what I've seen of it.

(Props to dsluckay for the sig/avy) (Trophy bar by:Thunder)

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

I believe this game came out before the typical L1 aim R1 shoot control scheme started hitting every third person shooter on the market. The controls are difficult at the start but it doesn't take too long to get used to them.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

Kiwi Defender

RE always had average controls, but I found RE4's to be better than those of the RE games that came before it. Doesn't take away some of the unresponsivness, though.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think the bad controls worked better when the camera was static, but with RE4, they kept the same horrid controls and added a dynamic, 3rd person camera. It's so clunky, and add to that the fact that Leon can't seem to hold his gun steady, it just feels like you waste a lot of ammo. It's like the game is purposefully trying to "save the zombies" and keep you from shooting them. RUN LEON, run!

It's quite the exercise in patience, I'll tell you that.

You Know You Love Me

The controls are pretty bad, but once you get used to them they're quite responsive.

Winter Is Coming

I hated the controls on re4 but i did manage to stick with them and finish the game, once you get used to them its not so bad. Having said that, i can't bring myself to play it again to get the 100% on it.

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

INTJ

the wii version has the best controls

just sayin

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    the wii version has the best controls

just sayin
    OH!!!! Well in that case, let me ditch this 9.99 PSN game, go out and spend 100$ on a wii and 40$ on the game to experience these "best controls".

I don't know what I would have done without your contribution to this thread.

Thank you so much.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    I believe this game came out before the typical L1 aim R1 shoot control scheme started hitting every third person shooter on the market. The controls are difficult at the start but it doesn't take too long to get used to them.
    It seems that you were right. Now that I have about 5 hours into the game, although I still find the control scheme to be of an awkward design, I am getting used to it.

I still prefer RE5 for the Over-the-shoulder 3rd Person shooter type of game, but the survival horror feel is definitely more intense in RE4.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I never had a problem with the Controls until the PSN/XBLA port. The controls were designed for a Gamecube controller so that's the reason the game plays like it does. My issue with the controls on the port is that they switched the action and run button and after 100% that game on the Gamecube and PS2 back in the day, the controls are burned into my brain and I can't relearn the swapped buttons. I should be running with Square and X should be the action button.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

look, just because you suck so bad on RE4 doesn't give you the right to complain about the controls. if you are a real RE fan, you can always figure a way to get used to the controls. i got nothing againts you, hope you don't take it personal.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

The PS2 port of RE4 had awful controls and everything.

The original gamecube version was much better.

Emulation is pretty simple, though.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by crimson_star21 View Post

look, just because you suck so bad on RE4 doesn't give you the right to complain about the controls. if you are a real RE fan, you can always figure a way to get used to the controls. i got nothing againts you, hope you don't take it personal.
    I actually really hate when people do this. People shouldn't have to get used to bad controls, it should be up to the developer to make a game that functions properly. Also don't give me that "the controls increase the suspense" Onimusha 1 also had the same shitty controls that RE did and that wasn't a horror game. It just seems that Capcom was obsessed with making their games hard to control.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    I actually really hate when people do this. People shouldn't have to get used to bad controls, it should be up to the developer to make a game that functions properly. Also don't give me that "the controls increase the suspense" Onimusha 1 also had the same shitty controls that RE did and that wasn't a horror game. It just seems that Capcom was obsessed with making their games hard to control.
    well, the reason why RE4 controls are different in the HD version for the PS3 is because they made the controls similar with the resident evil 5 config. its just a little few changes which is not really much of a big deal. now, if you are used to playing RE5 then i guess you can addapt easily with the new controls for re4