Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Public Demo impressions

This is a discussion on Public Demo impressions within the Resident Evil 6 forum, part of the R; So, the demo released today and I really don't know what to say. Leon's campaign was GREAT. It really gave ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Public Demo impressions

So, the demo released today and I really don't know what to say. Leon's campaign was GREAT. It really gave me that old RE feeling but the other two...they left me speechless. Chris' and Jake's campaigns look and feel just like another 3rd person shooter. I never thought I'd say this but it's worse than RE5.

I didn't expect RE to go back to it's roots, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I played it this morning. I wanted to like it as I am a massive RE fan, and despite all the changes I had read about, I was willing to try it and hopefully like it... I hated it. Most of these points apply to all the scenarios, but no point rewriting them for each.
    Leon's campaign was kind of back to old school, which I liked the idea of. However, I found it was poorly executed, with trying to add the action set pieces in - such as the corridor invasion of lots of zombies - it lost all of its original appeal and indeed all the tense moments. I didn't like the way the 'zombies' acted or moved, or how they could go from lumbering around to suddenly diving at you or running. Or using weapons. I hated the aiming, even after adjusting it, it was awkward to aim and the inverted camera options weren't really working the way I'd like them to and seemed far to sensitive, again even after adjusting. The 'zombies' still bubble away and disappear which looks fucking stupid. The camera was way too close to the character and the movement was really hard to get to grips with. The first zombie encounter in the lecture theatre was also shit with the phrase of something along the lines of ''I didn't mean to intrude'' *or something equally generic*. Also, the melee combat is absolutely awful and the detection range of the hits *and indeed the detection range of any interactivity in this demo* is way off and just leaves you kicking around randomly until you actually connect with a 'zombie'. And as well as all the above, there is also the stupid location marker that you can't turn off. What the hell is the point in having a survival horror environment if you know where you have to go and how far away it is.
    Chris' campaign I didn't even finish. I got to the big 'El Gigante' rip off and died and turned it off. This fella was exactly the same as gigante, with a different mouth. It even had the same animation when he dropped to his knees. Way to innovate Capcom. The regular enemies were essentially the same as RE4's army soldier guys, only not as clever, or as intimidating. The speech was typical Resi shit, ''Is he always this awesome?'' - fuck off, you look like these guys :

Toggle Spoiler

. And the main gripe is that this is a 3rd person shooter with terrible gameplay and shooting mechanics that is in a horror game with no horror. Uncharted is scarier than this. And plays better.
    Jake's took the worst elements of both Leon and Chris', and made them more apparent. I also hated the character in this one.
    Resident Evil 6, get the fuck off my playstation.
    Last edited by Nookie_Egg; 09-19-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 4 - Silver

So a few underlying things before I go on to the specific demos. I think it's good that they're attempting to make the game feel different than 4 and 5 through some control changes and inventory changes, etc. But I really felt the controls were extremely wonky. The aiming was very awkward, and through all the ducks and rolls I had no idea what I was doing for about five minutes of playing, then I just gave up on doing super combat maneuvers. Also I felt the general movement speed was to fast, I like being able to walk easily like in basically every other game, but the movement speed in this one without sprinting felt like a pretty brisk jog. It was so quick I found myself running into walls multiple times at the very beginning without even sprinting. Also the changes to the way you call your partner I felt were overly complex. Instead of all the options being in the same area, it lists you six options all across the bottom of the screen, and I have little idea what I'm telling the AI to do with half of them (Move Out... does that make them attack or just walk forward >_>) . Also I felt the healing system was a bit strange, but I can probably get used to it. Overall I think these controls will be okay; it's just that they have a much higher learning curve than they should. That being said, onto specific campaigns.

Leon: 4/5
    I have to say I honestly really liked the feel of almost all of the Leon campaign, except for the part with a billion zombies bursting in all the windows. The first zombie encounter I found really creepy, and honestly I don't think Leon's reaction is that bad, considering terrible quotes and voice-acting have been a part of Resident Evil from the beginning. Stepping outside the building the first time and being in the open courtyard all set up for a party was very unnerving in my opinion, and the overall feel was suspenseful all until the ending parts with zombies bursting in the windows, and then the mad dash to the police car. I also even found myself running out of ammo the first time I played this when all the zombies were bursting through the windows, which is nice to see since RE5 had little to no ammo conservation problems throughout. However, since it's only a demo it's easily possible that you'll have more ammo at that point in the game having played through earlier chapters.

Chris 3/5
    Now I only got to play about fifteen minutes of this so far but what I've played I felt was pretty good. Keep in mind, I actually thought RE5 was pretty good, it just wasn't scary. To me this scenario felt pretty decent, but the main problem as said before were the controls. It was hard to get to cover, and whenever I tried to dive away from gunfire I'd end up shooting random things while lying on the ground. Overall it didn't matter so much, and a lot of it I could play just using basic controls so it wasn't so bad.

Jake 2/5
    Ok, now the reason I rate this one so low is because it was so damn confusing and disorienting all around. So first things first, I start off and there's several enemies shooting at me with machine guns. I have no idea how to dodge that shit effectively because every time I try I end up looking like a damn fool just doing the worm in front of all my enemies. (And also whenever you move around while on the ground it looks incredibly ridiculous. I mean I can aim and use nothing but my legs to pull my entire body left and right on the ground? WUT?!) Anyways another extreme cause of confusion here is that there are a few enemies that when you start to shoot them, they start to grow some kind of green boil and then literally a dragon lizard pops out of it as they die. Honestly I don't know how the hell anyone came up with that but I'm sure no matter how that was executed it would be as ridiculously stupid as it is in this game. Without even talking about the gameplay of it that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Gameplay-wise these dragon things were really annoying and it's confusing as hell when you go in, kill like 8 guys, and then half a minute later there are 4 lizard dragons chasing after you literally everywhere. I don't even know what to say, I hated it, and I beat it by eventually giving up and literally just running through everything.
    Last edited by GomletX; 09-20-2012 at 07:59 PM.

"Jigglypuff is the Finest"

Royal Flush X2

Ugh I was disappointed with all the campaigns. Leon's was the best out of them with the zombies but the overall feel of the game just felt like a poorly executed 3rd person shooter. The controls felt weird and the camera was pretty bad making me feel dizzy. Not much else to say since the above 2 posters already explained in more detailed.

Let Me Watch

The download has been REALLY slow for whatever reason so I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hopefully I like it better than you guys are letting on. I loved 5 (4 is my favorite game of all time) so hopefully that'll mean I like this.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 6 - Silver

I liked Leon's campaign the best. It was really good to be back shooting zombies again. Chris's campaign was ok but I didn't like Jake's. I'm curious to see Ada's game play at the end of the game.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Ok now, my previous review was pretty critical and the main problem I had with it was the controls but honestly after playing each campaign multiple times and getting used to the controls, they're not so bad and are actually kind of intuitive. It just seems the controls had a much higher learning curve than normal, and after playing the Chris and Jake campaigns again, I think I'd give both a 3 rather than just Chris's now simply because Jake's story is seeming pretty interesting and after you know what the enemies are like, they're much easier to combat. One thing I can say about this overall so far is the stories all are pretty different which is good, and they seem more interesting than Resident Evil 5's. In my opinion, there was very little story to Resident Evil 5 it was just oh there's Irving oh he got away (like 3 times), then kill Irving, then plot twist, then final boss with missions inbetween.

PRO Member

I didnt enjoy this demo like 5 im dissapointed and sad

Platinum Dohvakiin

I really like Leon's campaign a lot. Didn't love, would have if it wasn't for the zombie hallway sequence that just ruined the whole feel of what was going on. Chris and Jake's story on the other hand, not so much. Chris's was ok, I liked it, I would have liked it more, if it wasn't an RE game. Jake's was just a cluster f*ck of the strangest crap you can throw into an RE game, and see if you can get away with it. One enemy just dies and turns into ash, ok I can deal with that, it's like all the rest. One bursts into flames and becomes an ash statue , ok weird but I can live with it (barely). Then these guys die with growing boils on their backs that erupts with these weird alien dragon-dog thingys. Seriously...WTF is up with that sh*t! And when did zombies learn to shot SMG's, pistols and sniper rifles?
    The controls were a little clunky, but I actually half expected that, because it's like a trade mark of RE games to have bad controls. But at least you can move and shoot at the same time now. Even if you are shooting at dragon-dog things that burst from peoples backs. That can bu the way, also climb ladders I found out a little later on.
    I have this on pre-order, I was trying to give Capcom the benefit of the doubt. Because I do love RE games. But I'm seriously considering canceling my pre-order. And just picking this up when the price drops. Because I can't seem to justify to myself paying $60 for this. And I really only like 1of the 3 stories so far.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i don't get all this praise for RE5......... for someone wich played since 97 original RE i found RE5 utterly bad when compared to the previous titles like RE4...... seems like umbrella corportation raped far cry 2 and they had a baby "lookalike far cry zombies mode" plus "Resident Evil" tag attached... but by luck (sarcasm) REORC saved the day for RE5 as the worst RE of ever.........

the only downside is .....feels like jake campaign was forced upon, the rest chris + leon, kicks RE5 on the balls fair and square! but i understand that new game, lets hate it to death then in 2-3 years RE7 is out and everybody changes their "song" oh this RE sucks but RE6 was better........ just typical "hardcore wannabe fan" trying to emphasis the older game to look like "i'm cool" but in reallity many times previous titles are bad and the newest are better and many times the inverse too....... seems people is ignoring how bad RE5 was and still be, where should we start? generic story? Dumb AI? Sheeva makes me puke of so dumb AI partner.........

Let Me Watch

I did all 3 co-op with my friend earlier today. I loved all of them and can't wait for the game. Like everyone else, I liked Leon's campaign the most. I can't choose between Chris' and Jake's for second. I personally like how the 3 campaigns have different styles. Probably GOTY for me.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Call of evil, resident warfare lol

PRO Member

i have the demo, but it seems that i cant never try the damn game out with a second player online...already a bad sign, not that i had any intentions of buying the game, but i would have liked a hands on demo...the cool part is that you get to try all 3 scenarios and thats as far as i got...
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Eckes13 View Post
    i have the demo, but it seems that i cant never try the damn game out with a second player online...already a bad sign, not that i had any intentions of buying the game, but i would have liked a hands on demo...the cool part is that you get to try all 3 scenarios and thats as far as i got...
    The heck? Pretty sure you just choose campaign, Playstation Network, Private, then invite a friend... I'd assume. You could ask AlecDawesome though as it seems he was able to (unless he did splitscreen)
    Last edited by GomletX; 09-22-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Let Me Watch

Quote Originally Posted by GomletX View Post
    The heck? Pretty sure you just choose campaign, Playstation Network, Private, then invite a friend... I'd assume. You could ask AlecDawson though as it seems he was able to (unless he did splitscreen)
    Yep, that's how I did it. Don't know why it wouldn't work for anyone else.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Average apart from the Leon sections and even they were nothing great, i mean christ, you can see a zombie on the floor, you know it will jump you for a cheap pop as soon as you walk past but can you blow it's skull to pieces while it lays prone? No, somehow it has gained the ability to let bullets just cleanly travel through their cranium and ignore your very exsistence so long as you keep back and don't try to get to that key/thing.

Sad to see but like Operation Racoon City, i will give it a chance ( in rental only ) hopefully it's nowhere near as messy and plain awful as that pile of trump.

Let Me Watch

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    Average apart from the Leon sections and even they were nothing great, i mean christ, you can see a zombie on the floor, you know it will jump you for a cheap pop as soon as you walk past but can you blow it's skull to pieces while it lays prone? No, somehow it has gained the ability to let bullets just cleanly travel through their cranium and ignore your very exsistence so long as you keep back and don't try to get to that key/thing.

Sad to see but like Operation Racoon City, i will give it a chance ( in rental only ) hopefully it's nowhere near as messy and plain awful as that pile of trump.
    This demo is better than Operation Raccoon City's whole campaign

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    This demo is better than Operation Raccoon City's whole campaign

You have no argument from me there!

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Just got done playing it and the only good that com from it was it saved me 35. It's stupid, really stupid, aswel over the top

Big thanks to Bladia for awesome sig
    "Unfortunately the Nazi's don't play cricket - if they did, we wouldn't be on opposite sides now."

Rangers F.C

A think the games graphics looked up to scratch and.................. that was it , they should just call this something else now instead of trying to pass this off as a Resident Evil game cause it aint the RE a grew up loving its a third person shooter with zombie like things and no story . RE Operation RC then this , never bought that wont buy this would like the memory of RE to be as intact as possible .
    Last edited by UNCLEPAULIE; 09-30-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast