Why are these checkpoints so bad?

This is a discussion on Why are these checkpoints so bad? within the Resident Evil 6 forum, part of the R; I've never played a game with worse checkpoints! They are terrible and make me not even want to play the ...

Angel of Death

Why are these checkpoints so bad?

I've never played a game with worse checkpoints! They are terrible and make me not even want to play the game anymore. I quit from Chris Chapter 2 yesterday, and I made sure it was after a save, and now it set me back 30 minutes, no ammo, lost the Serpent token I got, and left me pissed off. Whoever designed the checkpoints is an ass.

Avy=DARE, Sig=Djung

I personally haven't had this happen to me, sorry for your loss. Are you going to continue game without starting a new chapter? Thats the only problem I could think of.

Angel of Death

I mean, there's no point in restartin becausw that would bring me furth back, but I don't understand why it's bringing me back by 30 minutes of gameplay. They couldn'thave been a bit more better on the checkpoints? Oh, I also lost all my herbs, which is another pain.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Im sure the Serpent token is saved even if u die.

Gaming since 1985!

Haven't had a problem like this myself.... my wife and I play quite often and the checkpoints seem fair. What difficulty are you playing on? My only complaint would be how long each chapter is. Some take almost 2 hrs to finish, but even saying that, it's a major step up from RE5.

Angel of Death

The game is better than RE5, and I play on Pro, but difficulty doesn't affect checkpoints. And this happened again during Jake's first chapter, and I played that one on Normal. >_< And some of the chapters are too long compared to others, but the game is a good length in my opinion. I think it's a total of like 20-25 hours, depending on difficulty, and how you play.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    I've never played a game with worse checkpoints! They are terrible and make me not even want to play the game anymore. I quit from Chris Chapter 2 yesterday, and I made sure it was after a save, and now it set me back 30 minutes, no ammo, lost the Serpent token I got, and left me pissed off. Whoever designed the checkpoints is an ass.
    Yes same thing happened to me i was in a spot with good skill points bonus so i decided to get everything and then quit my game thinking it would save......WRONG only thing it saves is like ur time making your score at the end of the chapter very low. Its not like Resident Evil 5 were u can load a chapter and then bail out after getting everything you want such as ammo jewels coin etc. You have to make sure you see saving in the top left hand corner of the screen or you would of lost everything. Capcom decided to go with a longer checkpoint system just like the add on's for Resident Evil 5

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by rpg49ers View Post
    Im sure the Serpent token is saved even if u die.
    Actually it doesnt believe it or not SMH ...You have to shoot the emblem each time ....The way you know if the emblem saved or not is when u shoot it the emblem pops up bib in the screen....If you shoot it and just makes the sounds you have already saved that emblem and you'll get skill points for each time you shoot one just like on re5 but it was bsaa points ....

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

PRO Member

If u say it that way im guessing u r very newbie on this game and i ll recommend u to beat some mercenaries to get experience xD

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-_-Krauser__ View Post
    Actually it doesnt believe it or not SMH ...You have to shoot the emblem each time ....The way you know if the emblem saved or not is when u shoot it the emblem pops up bib in the screen....If you shoot it and just makes the sounds you have already saved that emblem and you'll get skill points for each time you shoot one just like on re5 but it was bsaa points ....

~~Krauser~~
    This is true, and I can validate from personal experience...

And I wouldn't really say I'm a noob, I've beaten 4 and 5 on Pro, which was a lot harder than 6. I just hate that I wasted 60 minutes of my time, and have no ammo, herbs, and none of the tokens I shot.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

As Jack-_-Krauser_ mentioned, you have to make sure that you quit only after seeing the Typewriter (Saving). The Thumbtack or Pin icon (Checkpoint) is only a temporary save point used to continue your game from that point if you die. If you Quit your current game, you WILL start from the last SAVE point, not the last CHECK point. You will have lost any and all skill points/ammo/serpent emblem you might have gathered since the last Typewriter icon.

..and unfortunately, I find the save point to be very few and far in between. It sucks, because gamers are forced to strategically plan their gaming time. Sometimes I like to to power up the PS3 and play for 20 or 30 minutes. This is almost impossible to do with RE 6 as more often than not, Save points can be 30 minutes to 45 minutes apart if it's your first play through. It can be frustrating for casual gamers. I wish RE6 had a Save on the Fly feature where you could just pick the game up pretty much wherever you previously quit.

This is one of the great downfalls of having such an integrated online co-op system. The option to save on demand should be available to single players who play the campaign ooffline. Kind of like the ability to actually pause the game.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Kotaku.com has a nice tips page for RE6 where they wrote this:

[top]2. Take Note of When The Game Is Actually Saving

The classic typerwriter-based save point system is long gone. Resident Evil 6 now auto-saves, but it doesn't do it as often as you might think. The game will frequently flash a notice that it has checkpointed your progress, but it is not saving your progress when it does that. If you quit the game after most of its checkpoints, you will lose a lot of your progress. Make sure you actually see a notification that the game is saving. It'll be accompanied by a little typewriter.
    That probably explains it better than I did.