Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Trophy Marathon Competition: Scoreboard

This is a discussion on Trophy Marathon Competition: Scoreboard within the Site & Member Thrown Competitions forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Spring League Marathon Stage 5 Commentary Welcome everyone to the marathon competition. Iím your host with the most, Skip Williams, ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Spring League Marathon Stage 5 Commentary

Welcome everyone to the marathon competition. Iím your host with the most, Skip Williams, with the master of trophinomics, Max Platinum. How was your small vacation Max?

I took a nice walk on the beach surrounded by gorgeous women and worked on my tan for my Hollywood premiere.

A master in his own mind as always. We are bringing you in-depth coverage of the Spring League Marathon competition. The rules are simple; each player has been put into a bracket, with each bracket having its own target. Once a player in his or her bracket reaches the goal they win. After all the brackets are finished the individual with the highest point total regardless of bracket will also win a trophy for overall winner. Max, how does this format differ from the recently finished May cup which was a team single round knockout competition?

Skip, the marathon format is all about endurance. Single round elimination formats are sprints. Whoever has the easiest and quickest plats are usually the winners. The marathons are where the big boys come to play. Any and all types of gamers have a shot because there are no rounds and there are no time limits. Games that have long grinds are no longer considered a liability. Quick plats are important to start a lead or to finish the race quickly, but there is a huge gap in the middle where anything and everything is played.

We have four brackets so let us break each one down one by one. The first is the Rising Star bracket. These are the rookies who want to prove they can hang with the big boys. There are five participants in this bracket but I want to start off by focusing on the two leading contenders, MelegantPrime aka Lasombra, and BadWolf. Lasombra is coming off of a fifth place finish in the May Cup and you had a chance to interview him after the update. What were his thoughts?

This is why I love the marathon format Skip, you can enter other tournaments at the same time without worrying about ruining your strategy. I asked him how he felt about the bracket and he said he felt confident of winning it. Bold words coming from a fifth place finish but he has no problem being the bad guy. He said BadWolf was his only competition in the bracket and said for him to hit the gym because once he takes the lead he wonít be giving it up without a fight.

I had a chance to interview BadWolf at the same time, Max, and he is just as fired up as Lasombra. He said it is a two man race as well, and with a 32% difference between them, the margins are razor thin at the fifth stage of the race. He also said he has a long term strategy and wonít be concerned if he loses ground now because he has a plan to make up the difference in the next couple stages.

Looking over the rest of the bracket it is a very weak field. I donít agree with it being named the Rising Star bracket, and I might get fined by the network, but itís a two man field and has been from the first stage. Maplesniper has disappeared entirely like he was sniped by his own handle. Faction and Patang have dropped off in their production so much that it has allowed Lasombra to double them in overall points for the competition.

Next we have the Phoenix bracket. With four competitors it is even more one-sided than the Rising Stars.

Frost has taken this bracket and put a cobra clutch on it. No one is going to catch him now. He could stop, take a nap, eat a five course meal, and still have a lead. This is not taking anything away from his competition, as they are putting up good numbers. Itís just Frost has tallied more points than the rest of them combined. I talked to Heaven after the numbers were posted and he said he was not intimidated. He said and I quote ďIt is a marathon for a reason. His PS3 could break for a month, and suddenly it is a whole different game.Ē

Do you think they have a real chance of catching up to Frost?

Truthfully? No, unless Frost does decide to take a nap on them. I admire Heavenís guts, but its simple numbers. He has to platinum sixteen games to just pull even with Frost, and that is assuming Frost lets him. But anything can happen in this format, and it has in the past. If you remember the inaugural 2009 Marathon of Champions, QueenValeria came back from a ten platinum deficit to win her bracket by 2%.

If the first two brackets are too lacklustre for the crowdís apatite then welcome to the Destiny Omega bracket everyone. This bracket holds all the established stars of the circuit battling it out in a close bracket. Jenkem, Brenden, AC, Kelstar, Pete, all established pros at the height of their game.

This is the bracket to watch for the big upsets. Rising Stars and Phoenix brackets are sealed and delivered right now. In this bracket no one can be counted out. Jenkem has a huge lead over the pack but after talking to some of his competition they feel he used up too many quick plats early and has run out of steam. They feel now is the time for them to go into their reserve of quick plats and close the gap, and put some mental pressure on him. Kelstar told me Jenkem was the leader since the first stage and never had a real test. If he sees the gap get closer, Kelstar said he believes Jenkem will crack like a trophy whore eyeing up Hannah Montana. Icebrand is the closest behind Jenkem and he is not worried. He said he has been in too many competitions for his nerves to make him lose focus. I believe we even have something on tape for the audience.

Do you think you can overtake Jenkem even though he has a two level lead?

Easily. It is only two levels. Sixteen games sounds like a lot, but let us be honest with the viewers, Max. When you are playing Hannah Montana and Megamind, it is really easy to get platinums. When I feel Iíll need to go in that direction I will, but now is not the right time.

Those were some cagey words, Max. It sounds like those two do not like each other? Is there still bad blood after last summerís Platinum Shine tournament?

These are two competitors who do not like each other. After the controversial syncing incident that saw Icebrand win by a mere 1% 5 seconds before Jenkem would have won, they are not on their trophy guide lists for Christmas. When asked about Icebrandís comments, Jenkem said he wants to prove to the world Platinum Shine was a fluke and just a footnote. He will win the trophy he rightfully deserves.

The final bracket only has two gamers but they have been throwing haymakers from stage one. What can you tell us about the Yakuza bracket?

A lot of fans asked me why itís called the Yakuza bracket, and I told them two reasons. The first is these are gamers who have been professionals for so long they are in the business for life. They have invested too much time to just quit now. The second reason is this is the Tokyo Dome and it wouldnít make much sense for it to be called the Mafia bracket. This is not Milan.

DJ and Diddle have been keeping this the tightest race of them all in terms of points. Each scoring over 15K each, they both look like they will not run out of gas anytime soon. The problem is DJ already has a two level lead when the marathon started. Diddle needs to reach into his bag of tricks and take a risk. He is leading on points on the scoreboard so he needs to extend it more and more. Talking with DJ he said he has a lot of respect for his opponent and sees this bracket more like a duel. The early stages are to test each other and find some kind of weakness, see how each other respond to the scoreboard each update, and make adjustments. Having only one opponent he can make a tailor made strategy for Diddle. That said, he knows Diddle is a fierce competitor and the both of them were teammates in the team portion of the Platinum Shine tournament. They know how each other games.

Lastly Max, what can we expect this stage of the marathon. What have the crowds got to be excited about as they come back from the refreshment stand?

Here are my three main events to be on the watch for. The first is look to see Jenkem extend his lead even more. After the double psyche-out mind games being used against him by Kelstar and Icebrand he has to prove he is not all about the Hannah Montana. The second is the duel between DJ and Diddle. I have a feeling that DJ will pull a surprise and close the gap on points. Lastly, venture over to the Rising Stars bracket and see Lasombra take over first place in the bracket, but do so while under extreme pressure from BadWolf who is on a streak.

Thanks always Max for your insightful commentary. For Max Platinum, Iím Skip Williams telling all viewers on the internet and at home to turn into stage six of the Spring League Marathon, broadcasted live at the Tokyo Dome. As always, good night and good gaming.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Summer holidays :)

Awesome commentary as always Lasombra, i didn't even know about this comp till you told me.
    Good luck to everyone involved

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Indie Game Developer

Aw man, the competition in the Lvl 25 Bracket is really fierce. I mean, I've gotten like 5 plats, and made considerable progress on about 4 other games, and I'm still a very distant 3rd place. Jenkem will basically be unbeatable. He could probably take a 3 month break and still win :/
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Resident Deadhead

thanks for the time and effort to put the commentary together dude. always a good read.
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Platinum Procrastinator

Awesome commentary Lasombra as per usual. Also good luck in the competition
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Maplesniper has disappeared entirely like he was sniped by his own handle.
    Frost has taken this bracket and put a cobra clutch on it.
    Kelstar said he believes Jenkem will crack like a trophy whore eyeing up Hannah Montana.
    Truly classic lines IMO!

Legend...Nuff Said

Thanks to the platinum for Resident Evil 5, I have now taken the lead in the Rising Stars bracket as of this post.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.

PRO Member

Thanks to the platinum for Resident Evil 5, I have now taken the lead in the Rising Stars bracket as of this post.
    ...I'll take that lead thank you very much

The latest scoreboard is up. I always get a little concerned when I do the scoreboard update and see gamers that haven't picked up any trophies in 2 weeks (sometimes longer). Have they been hit with the YLOD curse? Has playing Hanna Montana or Terminator Salvation (or any number of crappy games with easy trophies) driven them up a bell tower with a riffle, and now find themselves in a padded room without access to a playstation? Yes, I do worry for my fellow gamers, so was quite relieved to see that Maplesniper picked up some trophies for this update...still worried for LilJayR4 though.

Now playing
    EVE ONLINE
    Who needs a life anyway

Legend...Nuff Said

Spring League Marathon Stage 6 Commentary

The buzzer has rung and the sixth stage of the marathon competition is over. I’m your host with the most, Skip Williams with the master of trophinomics, Max Platinum. A cagey but ultimately quiet stage as far as the leaderboards are concerned. What are your first thoughts before we break down the brackets?

Boring is the word, Skippy. Not a lot of movement has happened and a few players have tried to make it exciting, but a competition is only as good as the bottom of the barrel. I’ll throw a statistic out there for you Skip. LilJay stands at 4305 points since the competition started out of the first or second stage. We are going into month three and do you know how many points he has gotten since we started?

No, Max, I don’t know those stats.

Zero, zip, nada, and I thought Maplesniper sniped himself; this guy has dropped off the side of the earth. He has not gained a single point in three months. It is sad because he is not in last place for overall points. There are four players who have even less points than him for the month. It is a marathon but eventually a player will be lapped, and they’ve been lapped ten times.

The Rising Stars bracket saw a lot of movement during this stage. Lasombra and BadWolf threw around the trash talk but they both backed it up. With former #1 Patang deciding to not show up for some of the stage sessions in front of the crowds, it allowed both men to overtake him. The margin between 1st and 2nd is now a razor thin 2%.

It is a two man bracket as I said in the last show. These two are making the bracket exciting to watch as both men have a legitimate shot to declare themselves champion. Patang is still in it only being 10% behind but as he has taken a few weeks off I don’t know if he has the mental fortitude to get back into the game. This is a do or die moment for Patang. If he does not put up a couple plats in stage seven to retake his throne then he will have completed a major collapse. Remember when this competition started Lasombra was level nine and BadWolf was a ways back as well. Patang had too much of a lead and it made him soft. Maplesniper showed signs of life but in the opinion of this analyst he’s still recovering from sniping himself in the foot. I’m excited to see how stage seven will go for Lasombra and BadWolf.

In the Phoenix bracket Frost is continuing to put his strangle hold over it and his lead continues to grow, but you have to admire Damage and Heaven, there is no quit in them.

Damage and Heaven are two gritty competitors I would want on my side in any competition. Their numbers are good as they are averaging a plat a stage, but Frost is averaging almost 5 plats a stage. If they were in the Rising Stars bracket we’d be seeing a sight to behold, but they had the misfortune of being put in the Phoenix. Frost still has 3 levels left to go, and with so many points used up already he has to be sucking air at the world record pace he has been setting. Damage and Heaven have to hope Frost is all show and no glow, and he will become like LilJay and fall off the side of the earth, just with a bigger splash.

Damage and Heaven have been making the overall leaderboard exciting to watch, both vaulting up to positions each.

With the Nations Cup 3 months away they are trying to prove their worth to the Canadian and Australian national teams. I would not be surprised to see both of them sporting their countries colour’s in September.

The Destiny Omega bracket is where the heavyweights are throwing around platinum’s like they are bronze trinkets. Upsets a plenty are here after the sixth stage. Jakintosh, an early favourite has faltered and dropped four spots on the overall boards but only one spot in the bracket. Do you think his ego is hurting right now after being so high on the leaderboards and letting it slip through his fingers like Arabian Gold?

I interviewed Jakintosh after the stage ended and he is a beat up man. He is spent, sucking air, and just wants to tap to the sharpshooter. He told me he cannot keep up with the pace Jenkem is on and doesn’t have the Kenyan blood willing him to the finish line. The rest of the competitors will be happy to hear this from an early favourite but don’t be surprised if he gets a second wind. That bracket has some of the best psyche-out stars in it, so be prepared for mind games to be used, especially from the Jakman.

To be fair, Max, you’ve criticised Patang for being soft, while giving Jakintosh the benefit of the doubt. Won’t the fans at home think you are playing favourites?

Not at all, and I’ll tell the fans why. Jakintosh is an established vet in the sport and deserves a little lee-way for whatever mind games he may or may not be playing. Patang is a complete unknown, and while he made a good early showing, he is in the rookie bracket for a reason. Until he proves himself by winning his bracket will I be a little softer on him.

Icebrand also had a slip up, giving up precious ground to Jenkem. Do you think this is a signal the gap is too great even for the Iceman?

Jenkem cobra-clutched the field but there is still one, maybe two, stages left before the white flag is going to be flying for Icebrand. We’d be out of a job if we said something was over until it truly happened, but ultimately this will be the last stage Icebrand has a realistic chance of denting Jenkem.

In the Yakuza bracket we have DJ and Diddle slugging it out with atom bomb punches, and rocket powered elbows. These two are throwing everything they can at each other.

The dynamics of this bracket are different than the others, for those viewers watching this broadcast. Unlike the other three, this is a one-on-one bracket and turns a marathon into a sprint. Both men know who their only competition is and know when to take a break and when to throw the leg drops. Even in the Destiny bracket where Jenkem is leading by a lot, the rest of the table is so cluttered that taking a short break means three or four other players can change positions in the rumble, and toss you over the ropes. With DJ and Diddle they only have to eye each other for the prize. It is less work for them; less mind games, less research, and overall a less stressful time.

Having a two level lead over Diddle, how does DJ stay hungry and not become complacent? As you said he only needs to worry about one opponent.

I’ll tap my skull for you Skip, it is all up here in his head. He has to make himself stay hungry and not give it up. He is lucky that he could
    take a stage off, but I’ve talked to him enough over the years in this sport that he is not the type to leave a competition wanting. He always puts everything into it and has no regrets.

Finally Max, what are your three keys for stage seven?

First the viewers should tune into the Rising Stars bracket as Lasombra and BadWolf have been lighting up the board with a lot of points and look to continue that streak. It is very exciting television. Second pay close attention to DJ to see if he takes the stage off and rests, letting Diddle eat up some of that buffer zone. Third, the Jakman making a comeback and proving this commentator right that it was all mind-games he was playing on the field.

Thanks for your insight as always. Stage 7 of the Marathon tournament starts up in mere moments. We will be having live coverage throughout the competition. For Max Platinum, I’m Skip Williams from the Tokyo Dome, the heart of the World Gaming Alliance, saying good night and good gaming.

A final announcement from the WGA to the fans, send in your votes for who will win each bracket and who will win the overall title. We will reveal who the fans think will win during our next broadcast.

L

Legend...Nuff Said

I'll post it here so it doesn't muck up the commentary. Please private message me who your votes are for the winners and I will tally them up and talk about them in the next commentary. Thanks!

L

KCCO!

Another sweet commentary, Sombra!

He is spent, sucking air, and just wants to tap to the sharpshooter.

Synthwave <3

Great commentary, Lasombra! I haven't been following the competition very closely lately, but this helped get me up to date. Good luck everyone!

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

I love football season!

To my knowledge, that's the most I've ever been discussed by perfect strangers in my entire life.

Lasombra, thanks for making me feel special!

iCard by pittsteeler36

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by patangashty View Post
    To my knowledge, that's the most I've ever been discussed by perfect strangers in my entire life.

Lasombra, thanks for making me feel special!
    No worries, but start proving Max wrong that your being soft. LOL

L

I love football season!

No worries, but start proving Max wrong that your being soft. LOL
    I'll do my best, but my gaming time has disappeared as of late, due to my children's summer activities.

iCard by pittsteeler36

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by patangashty View Post
    I'll do my best, but my gaming time has disappeared as of late, due to my children's summer activities.
    Solution: Get yourself a copy of Little Big Planet 2 (it's one of the free games for PSN+ members) and make part of your children's summer activities helping you get the multi-player trophies.

As for me, I'm having TV issues. Ever since I moved my TV has refused to turn on instantly, usually taking about 15 minutes to finally turn on (the clicking sound of a solenoid/relay then eventually the boot up chime a few times before it turns on). This morning though, it's been clicking away for nearly an hour... oh look, it finally just turned on.

Now playing
    EVE ONLINE
    Who needs a life anyway

I love football season!

Quote Originally Posted by BadWolf2142 View Post
    Solution: Get yourself a copy of Little Big Planet 2 (it's one of the free games for PSN+ members) and make part of your children's summer activities helping you get the multi-player trophies.

As for me, I'm having TV issues. Ever since I moved my TV has refused to turn on instantly, usually taking about 15 minutes to finally turn on (the clicking sound of a solenoid/relay then eventually the boot up chime a few times before it turns on). This morning though, it's been clicking away for nearly an hour... oh look, it finally just turned on.
    That would be great, if my kids weren't 18 & 15 and not that fond of playing video games with their father when they could be playing with their friends.

iCard by pittsteeler36

PRO Member

Boring is the word, Skippy. Not a lot of movement has happened and a few players have tried to make it exciting, but a competition is only as good as the bottom of the barrel. I’ll throw a statistic out there for you Skip. LilJay stands at 4305 points since the competition started out of the first or second stage. We are going into month three and do you know how many points he has gotten since we started?

No, Max, I don’t know those stats.

Zero, zip, nada, and I thought Maplesniper sniped himself; this guy has dropped off the side of the earth. He has not gained a single point in three months. It is sad because he is not in last place for overall points. There are four players who have even less points than him for the month. It is a marathon but eventually a player will be lapped, and they’ve been lapped ten times.
    In Jays defense, he's in the Marines and is serving our country currently. He won't be back till Oct. 31st. I talked to him the other day and he said he's been playing on the Vita when he can, but doesn't have Wifi to update his psn.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    In Jays defense, he's in the Marines and his serving our country currently. He won't be back till Oct. 31st. I talked to him the other day and he said he's been playing on the Vita when he can but doesn't have Wifi to update his psn.
    I'll keep that in mind for the next commentary, thanks Highway. Just to say again for everyone, everything said in the commentary is all in good fun. With that said, if I ever do cross the line please message me so I won't do it again.

L

PRO Member

I'll keep that in mind for the next commentary, thanks Highway. Just to say again for everyone, everything said in the commentary is all in good fun. With that said, if I ever do cross the line please message me so I won't do it again.
    Oh no man. You didn't cross the line or anything. I know it's all in good fun. I was just going to let everyone know why he hasn't moved. As far as the others that haven't moved I have no idea why.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast