Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

May 2012 Member Thrown Trophy Competition

This is a discussion on May 2012 Member Thrown Trophy Competition within the Site & Member Thrown Competitions forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Greetings to one and all, I have the honor of hosting the May 2012 edition of the Member Thrown Trophy ...

PRO Member

May 2012 Member Thrown Trophy Competition

Greetings to one and all,

I have the honor of hosting the May 2012 edition of the Member Thrown Trophy Competition. The competition will start on Friday, May 11th, to give folks enough time to organize their teams, and jump in. I'll update this as we near the date, as we find out how many teams will be involved, affecting the number of rounds.

Lasombra will be my wing man, providing spot on color commentary before the tourney, and between rounds. If you enjoy it (and I know you will) give the man +1 rep, as he worked hard on it!

Basic rules:
    Teams will consist of four members (so if you have any friends that aren't members, now's the time to get them to sign up). If you signed up, look around on the thread for others that are also looking for a team. You just might surprise yourself by finding an awesome teammate, and a good friend in the process.

Each round will last exactly four days. Sync your trophy data with the site before each round starts, and fifteen minutes before the deadline so I can have time to tally scores. Team captains are responsible for sending me a PM with their team totals before the round starts, and as the round comes to an end. The following round will be announced as soon as I receive all data, and the turnaround time for the start of said round should be around eight hours.

Vita trophies are eligible for this competition, as they sync onto your trophy card along with regular trophies.

This will be a "knockout" style tournament, meaning that your team won't go head to head with another team, but instead, you'll be trying to stay in the top of the scoring. It looks as if we're going to have eight teams currently.

Round One - Two lowest scoring teams will be eliminated. May 11th 9am EST- May 15th 9am Round Two - The next two lowest eliminated May 16th 9am EST-May 20th 9am EST
    Round Three - Final four - two lowest are out. May 20th 5pm EST- May 24th 5pm EST
    Final round - Top two teams square off! May 24th 10pm EST - May 29 10pm EST

Team scores will reset after each individual round. However, I will be keeping track of individual scores on a fancy Excel spreadsheet. I am trying to obtain a site trophy for the top overall point earner, but that's still in the works. I will announce what transpires on that end of things when I find out from the powers that be.

The winning team will receive a site trophy for winning a member thrown competition.

Points will be based on the following values:
    =14pts, =7pts, =3pts, and =1pt (Updated)

Since this is a site sponsored event, the winning team will receive the honor of a site trophy, and praised by the masses. Thanks go out to Breakpoint and Submerge for allowing this to happen. If you really want to thank them, bring in more members, and keep that donation bar in the green!

Questions, comments, or colorful metaphors - always feel free to contact me.

Teams, and starting trophy totals:

LasFeralValentine707
    1. ChrisValentine 35 131 505 2101
    2. Feral 2 27 150 765
    3. NeroRadec707 18 75 311 1457
    4. Lasombra 5 37 123 618

The Circle of Jerks
    1. Jenkem_Addict88 47 241 811 2400
    2. JakeSS14 56 210 663 2321
    3. Pilleh 61 261 784 2717
    4. Ultradog177 18 50 204 797

The Proper Villains
    1. Goal 46 197 650 1636
    2. Denaratuck 61 330 789 1985
    3. eternalunderdog 41 190 653 2775
    4. Digitalman123 38 180 602 2122

TNT
    1. Paperkut 38 192 490 2033
    2. Compalicious 30 142 439 1288
    3. Broken 108 449 1363 4169
    4. Schismalicious 33 171 528 1793

Aussie Bastards
    1. Kelstar23 28 129 447 1514
    2. Kerwan_Ratchet 11 48 173 876
    3. Ac3dUd3 33 150 504 1653
    4. Raging_Bull 17 101 367 1392

The Quartet of Awesomeness
    1.bnecker717 9 110 422 1746
    2.daftprophet 45 214 590 1890
    3.nagflar 37 122 413 1559
    4.dj_keyser 61 298 931 3265

And now for some quick commentary by Lasombra!

May Cup Open: Opening Commentary

Welcome everyone to the May Cup Open. I’m your host with the most Skip Williams and with me tonight is the doctor of trophinomics, Max Platinum.

Thank you, Skip. We have many teams competing for glory in the May Cup. We have teams of wily veterans and fresh-faced rookies alike looking to chisel their teeth on the grindstone of competition.

Let’s take a look at the teams, Max. What are you first thoughts when you see the field?

The field is stacked, that is for sure. A lot of the established pros have come out for this event. Their teams are different than in the past, so gelling could be a problem for some of them. Looking at the team list there is no weak team we can discount. Every team will have to be awake and alert and not take their competition too lightly as we have seen in the past with the blind format. Getting lazy and losing focus has caused some favorites to be upset. You would remember team ForsakenHeights in the 2010 tournament of champions and TrophiesRUS, the clear favorite in last year’s Summer Ding-ganza, being shocked with a first round humbling.

I remember that tournament, Max. The entire bracket was shook up from that upset. Let’s brake down some of the teams for the audience. First we have Team No Name.

Ironic name considering it is probably the team with the most veteran experience. Daftprophet and DJ Keyser are well respected and feared for their ability to get platinums at a fast rate. If they put a lot of early pressure on the field it could win them points and force the rookies to lose their nerve. The surprise though is the unknown Bnecker717 captaining the team. Not a lot is known about her, so we will see if she can pull together the egos and keep them focused.

Last month’s April Cup Open winners, The Proper Villains are looking to start a streak and keep their momentum going. Team captain Goal has assembled an impressive team looking to make a little history in the competition. What can you tell us about that, Max?

Well Skip, if The Proper Villains win this tournament that will be the tenth victory individually for Digitalman123, as well as the 5th victory for Goal as a captain. Each one of his victories was with a different team and roster. If anyone knows how to put a winning team together it is him.

Long time veteran of the sport, JenkemAddict88, is back in action after a long absence. As we know the sport is very intense and takes a lot of mental conditioning. Do you think that will play on the minds of his team? Do they worry he might not have the stamina he used to have at his peak.

I don’t think their worried, Skip. He might not be able to grind the trophies like he used to even a year ago, but his leadership will stabilize a relatively unknown team. Pilleh and Ultradog are rookies on the scene, and while JakeSS14 has tasted success, this is the least experienced team in the field. The key for their success will be for their rookies to put up a lot of early trophies, and hope the veteran experience of Jenkem will pull off a trick or two to help them past the first round.

LasFeralValentine707 is the most enigmatic group of the competition. Just looking at the roster we can say they have a well-rounded team and could be the dark horses of the competition.

Dark is an understatement. Their team name should be Team Morbid with the amount of dark imagery from their call signs, but I disagree that they are the dark horses. They have no flaws in the team. Holding one of the top tournament strategists in their ranks with Lasombra, and having the highly skilled NeroRadic707, last year’s player of the year, they need to worry about complacency. If they become complacent then they could be upset. However if they hold their nerve and put a solid strategy into operation, we could see them at the top of the standings after round one.

Lastly Max, I’d like to get your impression of any individual dark horses you would have for the first round. Who could make or break their team with their performance?

With a field this deep it is hard to pick one or two individuals. With all teams relatively even a slip by any player will mean an early bath for their team. But two I’d like to focus on are Broken and Kelstar23. Both are coming back from a disappointing string of early exits in both team and individual competitions. If they do not make a deep run with their team they could soon be on the free agent market with very little value for recruitment. They are playing for a contract.

Thank you for your insights before the first round, Max. The first round of the May Cup Open will begin tomorrow. Place your bets on who will survive the first round and who will be watching from their vid trailers. Speaking for Max Platinum, this is Skip Williams wishing all the competitors a good first round, and lots of highlights for the fans.

Your party host,

Goal (PSN ID: Goalminer)
    Last edited by Goal; 05-19-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Updated information

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain

Lvl 3 - Bronze

100% in. Looking forward to it.

R.I.P Ellie

I'm game. It should be longer than 72 hours though. A week is much better, because people are going to be at work etc. And 72 hours will just go too quickly.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think they're going to have rounds where one team plays another or something similar. Accordingly 72 hours works

R.I.P Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by Kelstar View Post
    I think they're going to have rounds where one team plays another or something similar. Accordingly 72 hours works
    Yeah that was obvious. I still think it's too short. The whole competition could be over in just over a week... The trophy comps are usually longer, that's all.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I thought that they mind have a round every weekend for 4 weeks or something. Do you think it will be consecutive rounds of 72. If so, I agree. Well need to get some more info.

I have now read the post properly and see the turn around is 8 hours. In that case I agree that 72 is too short or the turnaround should be longer. That said the organisers should be free to do it how they like and Im happy to be involved.
    Last edited by Kelstar; 04-30-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

another trophy competition? but we have one thats currently ongoing

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

PRO Member

Good feedback, Chris and Kelstar, and thanks for the notice of another comp, Urban. I'll certainly make adjustments to the length of each round, and the breaks in-between them. The start date is going to be pushed back to Friday the 11th for the first round.

This was approved by both Submerge and Breakpoint, and will be linked from the front page of the site shortly enough. Any more feedback, certainly post your thoughts here. Thanks!

Kronicles of Kup

I'm definitely game. Will be looking for my team

Resident Deadhead

im in the marathon comp already, but as long as that doesnt bar me from joining this comp, im 110% down. I have games to whore, and a 2 game gamefly account, so i should be able to help a team greatly......PM me if you are serious to semi serious about this and we can get something going!!!!!

Edit - I got Pm'ed saying that being in the marathon comp DOES NOT bar me from joining the comp. So like i said earlier, PM me if your looking for a kick ass teamate lolll
    Last edited by jenkem_addict88; 04-30-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: i was pmed
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by jenkem_addict88 View Post
    im in the marathon comp already, but as long as that doesnt bar me from joining this comp, im 110% down. I have games to whore, and a 2 game gamefly account, so i should be able to help a team greatly......PM me if you are serious about this and we can get something going!!!!!
    Not barred at all, my friend. This is a site sanctioned competition, so I'm pretty serious about throwing a heck of a tourney. Best of luck, and spread the word!

#34DeathsTheDream

Hmm i'm interested. Yet to be in a comp, need a team though haha xD

Good idea!

Thanks to DaRe_xLw for this Signature and Avatar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

PRO Member

It's easy, just look around as people sign up, and you'll latch on with someone, and make some good friends on here in the process. Best of luck!

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

I dont think so.. sorry. maybe the next competition. I have tests that week and will play maybe 6 hours during the week. BTW, kickass avatar Goal!

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare

WWE:
    Favorite TEN (Active Performers) - Cesaro, Kofi Kingston, Wyatt Family, The Shield, Big E Langston, Daniel Bryan

#cutformesa

Is there a minimum requirement for number of trophies prior to the event? Like say I only have two dozen or so trophies; would that bar me from entrance?

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm in..... (15 characters)
    "I do not agree with a word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

The First Wrestling Platinum Grand Slam Winner on PS3Trophies.com

Trophy Checklist: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...-doghouse.html

Legend...Nuff Said

I am in on this too.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    Is there a minimum requirement for number of trophies prior to the event? Like say I only have two dozen or so trophies; would that bar me from entrance?
    Not at all. Find a team over the next two weeks, and enjoy the tournament, my friend.

Platinum Procrastinator

I'll join although its a bad time for me. I'm returning to college on May 7th for 6-7 weeks, but the course is based on 15 weeks so I don't know if I'll have a lot of time to earn trophies.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Crocodile Hunter

Im in, though highway should be handicapped if he competes

Sig by Apokolypz

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast