Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sony takes 2.9 Billion dollar loss

This is a discussion on Sony takes 2.9 Billion dollar loss within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Originally Posted by Nagflar I wouldn't go as far as saying it is a piece of shit, though. take something ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it is a piece of shit, though.
    take something that everyone is selling and raise the price by 4x... Same quality, same product, just huge price difference.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 4 - Silver

Sony and Nintendo are losing money but for different reasons. They have also lost a large amount in shares recently each (Sony is down 2/3's since 2006 I think but I'm not sure) (Nintendo is down by 83% since 2008)
    Sony and Nintendo are based in Japan and the Tsunami had an effect on development and production last year
    Sony is making almost all it's losses in the electrical goods department (specifically TVs) Simply because they over price any product that isn't gaming (you can say the price on the consoles and accessories are high but they are fair when you look into it) and people are buying other companies products instead. Gaming was but as the article says they hired someone (I forget the name and can't be bothered to read it back) and it became profitable or as very least not as lose heavy. Also yes as of Late January 2012 I think the PS3 finally became profitable (only took them 6 years)
    Nintendo made loses because they take all the money they make and invest a huge amount of it into advertisement (seriously Iv'e see a Nintendo ad almost daily here in England since 2008) and development (the 3D in the 3DS did take a fair bit of research even though the technology already existed but in a much larger form. The Wii U also cost a bit to develop even though again the technology already existed. the problem is that the newest Nintendo consoles to be revealed simply don't have anything new they just chose to invest billions in finding a way to make it work in the home.

I think Sony may make a smaller lose this year to last year (which was $4,000,000,000 I think) I hope somewhere below $1,000,000,000 but I expect $3,000,000,000 (they have over $60,000,000,000 to their name without shares so they aren't going down a good few years) now the Vita is out and is selling fairly everywhere but Japan. Of course this depends on how well they pick up on TV sales however the guy who improved the gaming side is now set to fix the TV side so hopefully it may happen.
    Nintendo is all down to Wii U but for the Wii U to succeed it needs to have an amazing thing which nothing else in the home can do or won't be able to do for at least 2 years Minimum (I personally doubt it). On that I'm expecting about a $2-3,000,000,000 lose (to them its much worse since I know they have less than $50,000,000,000 to their name but I don't know exactly how much

Microsoft made profits last year but they weren't as heavily affect by the tsunami (yes it had a major impact on Sony and Nintendo). Microsoft also played it very safe last year by not doing anything to revealing for the company and just sitting back and letting the money roll. However I think if it wasn't for Windows 8 the profit they got may have been up 200-300% (I personally hate the Windows 8 layout). for this year I don't know it all depends on if they do anything stupid with the Kinect (which they seem to be really devoted to with) or something stupid with Windows 8.

Legend...Nuff Said

Sony doesn't need to innovate. I don't know what it is with people who think 'innovation' is the cure-all for everything. They will be fine. Its Sony.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    take something that everyone is selling and raise the price by 4x... Same quality, same product, just huge price difference.
    Actually, iPods are quality items, like almost every other Apple product, and while they are insanely overpriced, it doesn't mean they are a piece of shit, otherwise the original PS3 which was worth $600 (quality item, awesome new technology, very few games at release) would've been a piece of shit.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Crocodile Hunter

Well if companies these days were not so damn greedy then they would wake up and get rid of the shit they dnt need ( like guass said the mobile and tv side )

Sig by Apokolypz

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Well if companies these days were not so damn greedy then they would wake up and get rid of the shit they dnt need ( like guass said the mobile and tv side )
    Well, companies have always been greedy. They've always tried (and will keep trying) to get more money.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Actually, iPods are quality items, like almost every other Apple product, and while they are insanely overpriced, it doesn't mean they are a piece of shit, otherwise the original PS3 which was worth $600 (quality item, awesome new technology, very few games at release) would've been a piece of shit.
    The price doesn't match the "quality" is what I'm getting at. Product A and Product B are made from the same exact components, warranty options, etc. A charges $30 for their product, B charges $120. It's the name of the brand that is different. I don't buy into it, and most likely never will. It's one thing to overcharge on an item to make a few extra bucks, but the amount Apple charges? Theirs no reason for it.

And I dunno... Was it the Apple 4 that was defective or 3? One of them dropped calls because it wasn't designed properly.

And with your analogy with the ps3. Ps3's included a blu-ray player which was $800+ alone. Now add the abilities of the system included with that blu-ray player and $600 was a steal for what was under the hood. It'd be one thing if they charged the actual price the system was worth but since they undercut that by a huge margin. The consumer was getting a steal no matter what was listed. But I do agree, the launch list was kinda small, but it grew fast.

Kiwi Defender

The price doesn't match the "quality" is what I'm getting at. Product A and Product B are made from the same exact components, warranty options, etc. A charges $30 for their product, B charges $120. It's the name of the brand that is different. I don't buy into it, and most likely never will. It's one thing to overcharge on an item to make a few extra bucks, but the amount Apple charges? Theirs no reason for it.

And I dunno... Was it the Apple 4 that was defective or 3? One of them dropped calls because it wasn't designed properly.

And with your analogy with the ps3. Ps3's included a blu-ray player which was $800+ alone. Now add the abilities of the system included with that blu-ray player and $600 was a steal for what was under the hood. It'd be one thing if they charged the actual price the system was worth but since they undercut that by a huge margin. The consumer was getting a steal no matter what was listed. But I do agree, the launch list was kinda small, but it grew fast.
    That's why I said it is overpriced, regardless of how much quality it has. And in case you've missed my many posts bashing Apple, I agree that they can go to hell with their prices, but that doesn't mean their products are a piece of shit.

If you mean the iPhone versions, I think it was the 3rd one, and it happened when you covered the upper part of the phone if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, but those of us who bought the PS3 didn't buy it to watch Blu-Rays, but to play games. If I wanted a movie, why would I shell out $50 for the blu-ray version instead of $10-$20 for the DVD (which my PS3 would've been able to play, in case I had no DVD player or a PS2)? Not to mention I know of no one who bought the PS3 because it was chepaer than a Blu-Ray player, because it was a very new format and no one knew if it would beat the High Def DVD.

In the end, the gamble paid off for those of us who got one at release, though.

Toggle Spoiler

worlds biggest welch fan

This isn't good news and billions but what is billions to Sony.

Its time for battle of the sales.
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

Sony will recover.. they always have and always will. So PS360, when is the next fanboy of nintendo-thread gonna be up?

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare
    WWE Favorite TEN (Active Performers, Updated Every Week) - Bad News Barrett, Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, Luke Harper, Cesaro

Currently Playing/Working On: Call of Duty Ghosts (Xbox One/360), NBA 2K14 (Xbox One), Killzone 2 (PS3), Remember Me (PS3), WWE 2K14 (PS3)

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Sony will recover.. they always have and always will. So PS360, when is the next fanboy of nintendo-thread gonna be up?
    Not sure if you've seen how old this is, but things ain't looking good for Sony, and they don't always recover btw. At the beginning of the month they slashed over 10k workers alone, in case you didn't know, and so far Kaz Hirai is reducing costs as much as possible to stop being such an abysmal loss in their financial numbers.

Toggle Spoiler

Get bent...

1) Price TV's and home entertainment lines (home theater, Blu Ray players, etc.) better.

2) Stop making cameras & cell phones.

3) Start charging for PSN (not talking about PS+ either).

4) Make better 1st party games that people will want to buy.

5) Stop making car audio products (they all suck anyway)

6) Stop making PSP's

7) Drop the Vita altogether, take the hit, chalk it up as a mistake, and move on. Stay out of the handheld market. It's never worked as envisioned anyway.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    1) Price TV's and home entertainment lines (home theater, Blu Ray players, etc.) better.

6) Stop making PSP's

7) Drop the Vita altogether, take the hit, chalk it up as a mistake, and move on. Stay out of the handheld market. It's never worked as envisioned anyway.
    1) I'd agree with the price of TV's, but everything else is pretty damn cheap.

2) Never owned a cam or phone by them, so can't really comment.

3) That's a major selling point for the Ps3. That can easily backfire in their face if they start charging for something that should be free.

4) K, Now you lost me. Maybe Resistance and Killzone didn't do as good as expected. But make better 1st party games? Almost all Sony games are huge hits, major sales, and win GOTY's all the time.... I don't think you know who they have making games for them.

5) Same as #2, but Sony makes a pretty quality product. So I don't know if I'd go as far to say they all suck.

6) Why? PSP's sell... Makes no sense lol

7) yah, not sure why you feel that way. The Vita is an amazing gadget with great games right off the bat. You can't allow Nintendo to keep releasing shit for handhelds and relying on phones for gaming. The vita is needed, is welcomed, and is amazing. I'll gladly support great games on a great console, just like the PSP.

Kiwi Defender

I have, and they are very good. Maybe the cameras are a bit overpriced, but they are high quality products nonetheless.

Also, I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I have no idea what the hell this guy is thinking, but he obviously knows nothing for all of his ideas would finish up fucking Sony even more.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 6 - Silver

I agree with all but one point and it might just my own opinion but whilst the vita is a technological marvel, the games just aren't all that great. It desperately needs new full titles. Heck, the only new game I've noticed recently is Disagaea 3 and that's a rehash of the same game for the PS3. @minarum

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Fuck me i hope they bounce back but honestly times are tough for most companies so i hope it doesn't affect them too much.

'You're a soldier! Finish your mission! Show your loyalty! Face me.'

Lvl 4 - Silver

6) Stop making PSP's

1) I totally agree with you. Mind you they did make the Blue Ray and it is becoming more popular every year. still not worth it yet though

2) Sony cameras are some the best for the public until you get to the professional level and even then they are very close. I'm not one to have a high end phone so I can't comment on the phones side

3) Free PSN is one of PS3's selling points. However they could up the price of PS+ simply because of the amount you get given for free

4) I actually like most of the PS exclusives. Uncharted, Little big planet, God of war, Hyperdimention neptunia, Wipe out, demon souls (even if dark souls became multi platform, mind you I preferred demon souls anyway). Can't be bothered to keep listing more

5) don't own a car so don't know

6) They were smart to stop PSP go but the PSP has been selling better than the WII, DS and in everywhere except america Xbox360 for the last year now (that said total sales still aren't near DS and WII but they are catching up weekly)

7) I have no idea what you have against the vita but almost everyone I know is saying it's about the best portable gaming you will get and I agree with them. and for every good full game (one that isn't a small game like escape plan) you get, you get about 2 weeks of game time (More in some cases) (other consoles tend to be about a week for me but again varying obviously). The vita sells well every where but Japan but Japan is the only place it isn't selling that well. Even there the sales will pick up once they get a game they enjoy (Monster hunter being the most obvious). That and at E3 when the console finally get's some more new games announced.

Get bent...

1) I'd agree with the price of TV's, but everything else is pretty damn cheap.

3) That's a major selling point for the Ps3. That can easily backfire in their face if they start charging for something that should be free.

4) K, Now you lost me. Maybe Resistance and Killzone didn't do as good as expected. But make better 1st party games? Almost all Sony games are huge hits, major sales, and win GOTY's all the time.... I don't think you know who they have making games for them.

5) Same as #2, but Sony makes a pretty quality product. So I don't know if I'd go as far to say they all suck.

6) Why? PSP's sell... Makes no sense lol

7) yah, not sure why you feel that way. The Vita is an amazing gadget with great games right off the bat. You can't allow Nintendo to keep releasing shit for handhelds and relying on phones for gaming. The vita is needed, is welcomed, and is amazing. I'll gladly support great games on a great console, just like the PSP.
    1) I have a Sony home theater/Blu Ray combo that cost me almost $700. I could have gotten one by LG with the EXACT same specs for about $300. The standalone Blu Ray players are cheaper now though, so I'll give you that. Even though there are many others that are at least $20 cheaper.

2) Their digital cameras for everyday use were great, but the pricing was crazy. That's since changed a little, but they're still losing out to other companies. As for high-end cameras, they don't stand a chance. Plus the market is literally over-saturated. Go to a Fry's or Best Buy and look at the sheer numbers of cameras. The same goes for cell phones. Sony used to make some badass phones. Now they're more of an also-ran. There's just so many different phones out there, it's hard to compete and expect to turn much of a profit.

3) It's worked for XBox. They also have more subscribers than PSN. Granted, the 'quality' of said subscribers takes a hit on XBL (fucking 12 year olds), but the fact remains that it works. PSN doesn't need to charge crazy rates or anything, just something along the lines of $5 a month or something. Raise the price of PS+ a little as well. Maybe a dollar or two. People will bitch, but at the end of the day, I seriously doubt many people, if any, will jump ship because of it.

4) I think I either worded that wrong, or you misunderstood me. Yes, games like Killzone & Uncharted are selling well, but what I meant is those that aren't. For every great game put out by SCEA, there seems to be at least 10 crappy ones. They need to find a way to close that gap and increase overall game sales while still churning out quality games.

5) Their car audio segment can actually be found rather cheaply at WalMart believe it or not. I saw a decent looking deck with a pop-out touchscreen with a bunch of other bells & whistles for less than $100. Price isn't the issue here. Neither is quality. It's the idea of trying to shove a square peg into a round hole and expecting it to work. Even with decent, almost bargain-bin pricing on car audio products, they still don't sell very well at all.

6) PSPs USED to sell well, now it's not so much with the Vita out. They should quit wasting time making them and just focus on the Vita. Waste of resources, waste of money. Which brings me to....

7) I don't like the Vita. I think that was obvious by my post. However, my idea only partly had to do with my dislike of it. They OVER charge for all their peripherals for it (memory cards anyone?). People who want the 3G model are forced into dealing with AT&T. There's no option for other service providers. There's not many games for it. Even fewer quality games. Their future release schedule looks rather bleak unless you wait for several months. Last I checked there was NO games scheduled for release in the month of May. If Sony doesn't step up and do something to fix these issues and others, they may have a huge failure on their hands. Technological marvel though it may be, you gotta give people more than just a great system to make it viable. Great games are needed. Sadly, there's a huge shortage of those right now. Maybe that's why they're keeping the PSP around.

I have, and they are very good. Maybe the cameras are a bit overpriced, but they are high quality products nonetheless.

Also, I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I have no idea what the hell this guy is thinking, but he obviously knows nothing for all of his ideas would finish up fucking Sony even more.
    Thanks for playing.

Lvl 9 - Gold

1) I have a Sony home theater/Blu Ray combo that cost me almost $700. I could have gotten one by LG with the EXACT same specs for about $300. The standalone Blu Ray players are cheaper now though, so I'll give you that. Even though there are many others that are at least $20 cheaper.

3) It's worked for XBox. They also have more subscribers than PSN. Granted, the 'quality' of said subscribers takes a hit on XBL (fucking 12 year olds), but the fact remains that it works. PSN doesn't need to charge crazy rates or anything, just something along the lines of $5 a month or something. Raise the price of PS+ a little as well. Maybe a dollar or two. People will bitch, but at the end of the day, I seriously doubt many people, if any, will jump ship because of it.

6) PSPs USED to sell well, now it's not so much with the Vita out. They should quit wasting time making them and just focus on the Vita. Waste of resources, waste of money. Which brings me to....

7) I don't like the Vita. I think that was obvious by my post. However, my idea only partly had to do with my dislike of it. They OVER charge for all their peripherals for it (memory cards anyone?). People who want the 3G model are forced into dealing with AT&T. There's no option for other service providers. There's not many games for it. Even fewer quality games. Their future release schedule looks rather bleak unless you wait for several months. Last I checked there was NO games scheduled for release in the month of May. If Sony doesn't step up and do something to fix these issues and others, they may have a huge failure on their hands. Technological marvel though it may be, you gotta give people more than just a great system to make it viable. Great games are needed. Sadly, there's a huge shortage of those right now. Maybe that's why they're keeping the PSP around.
    #1, I got a blu-ray home theater setup from the official Sony site for I wanna say $120-150. It was a special like 4-5 months ago. Sounds great. Was that when it first came out or something?

#3, I don't think it will be as productive as you think it will be. Live might have more subscribers than PS+, not PSN. Hard to compare 40million subscriptions to 90+million PSN users. Now as far as comparing Live to PS+... I don't know. Haven't seen any numbers from Sony's end. So Hard to say how many people are PS+ members out of that 90+mil. But either way, Sony might make money off of it. But they will also piss off a LOT of people. I know I won't pay unless I get it for free through PS+.

#6, according to my GM bud at GS. PSP's (new and used) still sell pretty well.

#7, Memory cards I half way agree with. New security is needed for the Vita, we all know what piracy did to the PSP. As far as the 3g and AT&T. Besides it being over priced, who cares if it's AT&T or not? 3g is slow as shit and the system is limited to it unless you play over a wifi connection. And lastly, I like the games and the line up so far. I just wish I had more time to play on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123