Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fanboys and where it all started back in the day ...

This is a discussion on Fanboys and where it all started back in the day ... within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Remember a time when the consoles were cartridge based, well the next step was going to disc and Nintendo seen ...

PRO Member

Fanboys and where it all started back in the day ...

Remember a time when the consoles were cartridge based, well the next step was going to disc and Nintendo seen Sony had made a cd attachment already decided to partner up with Sony however when Sony advised Nintendo they in the future were going to release there own console they thought Sony would have an advantage of knowing both Sega and Nintendo hardware and decided to allow Sony to announce they were going to make this attachment only to have Nintendo re buff it, and we all know Japanese and how they don't like to shamed. Well they decided to open up the vaults buy some software companies and made the Sony PlayStation. Things were down and out there for awhile for the great Nintendo the N 64 sold approx 35 million to Sony 100 million and Sony has never looked back, however in Nintendo's favor they did bounce back with the Wii and made it the number one selling console again, but you notice Sony competed with Nintendo since that day, Nintendo had the game boy line Sony brings out the PSP which sold 70 million and are bringing out the Vita to compete against the 3DS. Also in that time Sega was replaces by MS as the third party. For many a years it was ps2 xbox then the GCN at least going to the bottom forces innovation or failure usually.

Ever since then I know of people who will only play Nintendo the same of the sony, I personally just like taking advantage of the products these events bring to us the consumer, its unreal the back stabbing and what not that has happened in this industry,

Here are some links for some informative videos

Sony Vs. Nintendo - YouTube

Rise of Nintendo - YouTube

SEGA Vs. Nintendo - YouTube

MERRY QWARKMAS

Good points but for fun I just want to add this video

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY DSLUCKAY AND UBER-SEXY PLATBAR BY IN2

Dare da Musically Strange

Wow, thanks for the history lesson, really.

I've always liked Nintendo and Sony throughout my gaming years, especially with the Gameboy and DS's Nintendo had and the PS and PS2 Sony had. After a while, about the same time I got a PSP, Nintendo started to wear off of me and I became more about Sony. Then I got a PS3 and allowed my sister to take over the Wii and my DS while I had my PSP. I only came back to Nintendo for Pokemon, but that's about it. I never got any interest in XBox, hell I even played it at my friend's house several times, but I always preferred the Playstation systems. This is why I became a Sony person today, but I don't consider myself to be the average fanboy.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.14
    My Trophy Checklist.

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 1
    Collabs Due: 0

PRO Member

No problem I spent the whole morning watching those really well done videos. Very enlightening so to say, its ironic how it all ended up though with Nintendo and Sony still battling on through the ages one thing I really don't believe you will ever see happen is a nintendo icon on anything other then Nintendo Hardware, if the wii u or whatever they decide to call it will be a product of all this history so I am sure it will be something to behold, what I see as the achilles heel of PlayStation is the debt of the parent company Sony, however I don't see any immediate alarm yet and it will be interesting how the 720 does and if it has any hardware issues that plagued the 360 we will see

PRO Member

thats a funny video !!!!!

Legend...Nuff Said

Those are some sweet videos. They are really well done. It was very high quality.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles

PRO Member

awesome thread

Lvl 6 - Silver

i never saw fanboyism until the XBOX came on the scene, i guess that was due to all the PC buffs following Microsoft into their consoles. that's why i dislike XBOX very much.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog View Post
    i never saw fanboyism until the XBOX came on the scene, i guess that was due to all the PC buffs following Microsoft into their consoles. that's why i dislike XBOX very much.
    ...really?
    So, it didn't exist when the Sega Saturn and PlayStation were in competition with each other? Fanboyism has existed long before the xbox came onto the scene. : P

Oh well, I suppose it's foolish of me not to expect a bit of bias.

Felix the Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    ...really?
    So, it didn't exist when the Sega Saturn and PlayStation were in competition with each other? Fanboyism has existed long before the xbox came onto the scene. : P

From my personal experience, the "fanboys" as they are called are a product of this console generation. I remember with the Sega and SNES we never argued about which system was better, all we cared about were the games. I remember people coming to my house to play my Genesis and going to other peoples houses to play NES or SNES. Sure we all had our favorite system but it never got to the trash talking and other ridiculous shit that happens today.

Even when the PS2 and Xbox were on the scene it seemed like more of a friendly rivalry between people rather than a friendship destroying choice by choosing the opposition to the console of your choice. I never had remarks made about me because I chose a PS2 over an Xbox but nowadays people have no problem talking about you, your wife, dog and mother simply because you chose a different console.

Of course I wasn't on gaming forums when I had my PS2 or Xbox so it may have been just as rampant then as it is now, but from my personal experience the fanboy attitude has started this generation.

Parker
    Classic Game Room: 16-bit, 100% Awesome

Thank you Fox for the awesome signature!
    PSN: James_Page | XBL: Mopar Parker | Steam: Pagey the Wind Squid | NN: 1stGenCummins

Legend...Nuff Said

...really?

Was there bias during the SNES/Gen war? Definitely Was there bias during the Sony/Nintendo war? Definitely But internet forums and online play weren't mainstream back then. 10 years weren't bitching at you over a head set, or talking trash. Yeah, I knew people who only supported one or the other and were fanboys, but the whole fanboy movement is a recent phenomenon. If it was around in the 90s to the level it is now, we never got to see it because the only outlet were magazines, and they usually cut most of the crap sent to them.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles

PRO Member

Well I know when I was young I had the Genesis and it had blood in mortal Kombat while the Nintendo didn't bringing up the whole Nintendon't advertising while Sega does, believe me its just like Ford and Chevy and Dodge all have there fans a ford guy says the chevy small block 350 sucks and the Ford small block 302 rocks, its all down to personal preference and in order to have a preference there must be an option and for video games the option came with the Sega Genisis. Sega had actually had 70% of the market at one time but it went to there heads and all of a sudden they brought out add on after add on console after console, so this is where it really began, of course the internet like it did everything only magnified it 100X

MERRY QWARKMAS

We can talk all we want about which system is better but when it comes to spokespeople there can be no debate.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    We can talk all we want about which system is better but when it comes to spokespeople there can be no debate.

I know the present person is a sony spokesman but I don't remember his name : P

MERRY QWARKMAS

I know the present person is a sony spokesman but I don't remember his name : P
    The first guy is Jackey Vinson who played Lucas in the Wizard

The second guy is The Angry Sega CD guy

Finally the third is Kevin Butler

PS. Thanks again Alison for making the sig that I posted above

Lvl 6 - Silver

...really?

if you read my post properly you'll see i said "i never saw fanboyism" which i didn't, growing up no one gave a shit what console you had, most of my friends had Megadrives and some had SNES's but no one was ever like "my consoles better than yours" lol, and it was the same for me through the Playstation and Saturn era.

once the XBOX came along, it brought with it all the PC buffs that liked to prove why it was better.

PRO Member

Well either way it caused innovation , some failures but as I sit here and play Twisted Metal I realize how worth the journey was and will be in the future, from my pre teens there was atari 2600 pinball and the begining of video games, my teens was the peak of the arcades and the start of the downward trend and home gaming really became the norm. I have seen some amazing progress, I hope the future will always remember the past, where we came from and remember the innovators that started this whole thing in the first place.

I miss grabbing a couple rolls of quarters and heading to the arcade to blow a day, oh yeah it was social we met up played took breaks ate together watched each other play, it was quite fun. There was no real war between pinballers and video gamers LOL

Saints Row IV

Fanboysm started with the war Consoles vs PC
    Never heard fanboys talking about their systems on Megadrive and Sega Saturn and PS1 times
    When xbox came,console wars started
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Huge Gaming Backlog

I'm not a fanboy of any console. I have pretty much owned them all. The PS is the one I keep going back to though. They have the best exclusive games and free online play which is an unbeatable offer.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Saints Row IV

I'm a PS Fanboy, but i dont like starting fights about "Which console is the best? etc.)
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast