Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When you play a game for trophies when does it start to feel like "Work" more then fun ?

This is a discussion on When you play a game for trophies when does it start to feel like "Work" more then fun ? within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Multiple playthroughs definitely feels like work, like MGS4. 7 playthroughs minimum, ridiculous. Eventually got it though and here's a tip ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Multiple playthroughs definitely feels like work, like MGS4. 7 playthroughs minimum, ridiculous. Eventually got it though and here's a tip for anyone going for it, get the BBE out of the way as soon as possible, that way you can use the stealth device on the rest of the playthroughs. Using it I was finishing each playthrough with a little over 3 hours.

PRO Member

Trophies r meant to love whatever is the requirement

PRO Member

Anything online multiplayer is always tough for me to force myself to do.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Heavy grinding, any online trophies especially for fighting games, and time consuming (over 20 hours time consuming) trophies are real pain in the arse jobs.

> Restart Button <

It becomes work when I'm doing something that's out of normal gameplay.

For instance, to get my SSX I had only one trophy left. It consisted of completing some challenges and playing 50 Custom Events which is usually for you & your friends. By the time I finished everything else, I had only played like 5 Custom Events. So I went into grind mode. Made one that lasted 3 minutes, rinse and repeat until I pop the and the

Any trophy that has chance based stipulations.

I would say MP trophies but I enjoyed legitimily earning Abstergo Employee of the Month and get the ACB . ACR not so much because of the BS DLC. ACIII was pretty easy. That's all of the MP I've ever played but I'm sure there are terrible MP trophies out there.

If it really steps into the threshold of stressful hunting, I'll just stop playing the game. I got rid of DW7 because I wasn't going to grind every single character on the same boring levels over and over again to finish it up. I could have but it would have been a tainted which isn't worth for me.

I like to be proud of my trophies, not look at them and go "Ugh, that was terrible to do"

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

♚ Overlord ♔

When I got to boost that's when It feels like work

Platboy Online Knight

It depends on the game and trophy list, excessive grinding frustrates me, or that I have to get 1st place in every event in all 41 cars in Need For Speed: Most Wanted, for a gold trophy. And that's before the DLC that came out in December, have to do those 10 cars also.

Level 5 Esper

Mindless repetitive grinding and heavy dependency on other people
    >>>>> New Trophy Case <<<<<

Multiplayer/Old PSN

Currently Playing
    FFX-2 HD Remake (PS3) || Killzone Mercenary (PSV) || Hearthstone (PC)

My Guides

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
    Generator Rex: Agent of Providence

Banned

Collectibles and Multiplayer trophies. Everything else is fine for me, even grinding

Mostly collectibles because I always miss a few and I'm forced to replay levels for them. Its not fun, especially when developers make TONS of them to go and get through the game.

PRO Member

it starts to feel like work when i have a hard time choosing what game i want to put in that i havent Plat'd yet...like when i have to play the whole game like 3-4 times (Bayonetta, Dead Space, MGS4)

(personally)
    it feels like work, when i put in to much time and something happens...i lose all my save files (Batman AC, White Knight Chroc II)...could be anything (Yellow Light of Death, Power Outage, System Reset, Etc)...
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Multiplayer trophies. Hate those things.

Lvl 6 - Silver

it always comes down to time spent versus the reward. My classic example is the Endless Setlist in Rock Band 2.
    All 85 songs in one setlist, about 7 or 7.5 hours to play.
    4 Trophies:
    beat it on Medium (bronze), Hard (silver), and Expert (gold).
    Play the entire thing without pausing for a Gold. That includes not letting the batteries fail, or accidentally hitting the PS button, since that counts as a pause as well.
    The biggest problem is that the hardest song in the game is like 2nd to last, so you could go through the whole thing and fail out, and all 7 hours are lost.

Sorry, but that shit is ridiculous.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    it always comes down to time spent versus the reward. My classic example is the Endless Setlist in Rock Band 2.
    All 85 songs in one setlist, about 7 or 7.5 hours to play.
    4 Trophies:
    beat it on Medium (bronze), Hard (silver), and Expert (gold).
    Play the entire thing without pausing for a Gold. That includes not letting the batteries fail, or accidentally hitting the PS button, since that counts as a pause as well.
    The biggest problem is that the hardest song in the game is like 2nd to last, so you could go through the whole thing and fail out, and all 7 hours are lost.

Sorry, but that shit is ridiculous.
    Christ that sounds awful. I thought i was hard done by having to play through Mass Effect four and a bit times. It's a good game but i don't want to play as an adept, which means i had to quarter play-through to get the adept trophies out the way. Add to that the difficulty and level-based trophies and a run-through as renegade and it becomes a bit of a grind.
    Cometh the hour, cometh the Mage!

Lvl 5 - Silver

Multiplayer Trophies because i don't like online multiplayer all that much with having to rely on internet and their has to be people who will do the stuff you need anyway.

i would rather dig out my old split screen games or emulate them on PC

Monster Hunter Tri was the game i played most online multiplayer with ever, i was glad that i reach the highest rank because some people where not very helpful unless your were the same class for event matches, the first game i felt the need to hack in the last few materials.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I suppose it feels like work when i stop enjoying the game, when the last few trophies of some games feel like to much hard work, or getting frustrating, the best example was my brotherhood plat, playing mp at first was fun, even fun when i picked it back up after ac3 to get the plat, but close to the end it just got frustrating not finding a game, etc. others would be just cause 2 (stupid 75%) and many other games with multiplayer, many already mentioned by others, like gta, rdr, etc.

but most games i go for the trophies on i enjoy up to the last minute, and some remain fun afetr the plat, like little big planet, or AC3.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Sometimes I feel gaming was better without trophies.

Everytime I look into buying a new game, I look at the trophy list.
    Everytime I play said new game, I make sure I am not screwing up the trophies.

Trophies are optional yes, but my mind simply does not compute. Must achieve trophies when playing.

ybt
    Lvl 1 - Bronze

well I used to be hardcore for trophies, whenever I had a game it had to be completed to 100%, and damn, 10k deaths in resistance 2 was brutal, now I decided that I play 4 fun, icare not about trophies, unless they are coop and I have fun doing them.

Lvl 8 - Gold

It turns to work when the boosting takes a day or more. It also feels like work when you have to do a totally new playthrough just to get the last trophy (like you have 99% and the last trophy requires you to replay the whole game with a harder difficulty)

PRO Member

I have been interested in getting 100%, or nearly so, on games almost since the beginning so it is not substantially different for me, but I admit I am more focused on it now. I only play PS3 games now because they are the only ones that "count" for me and I have limited time. There are some things like multiple playthroughs and online things that I would not have done if not for trophies because I wouldn't consider them part of my own criteria for 100%. But since the list is there, I'm going to complete them if I can and (mostly) have fun doing it. I have only bought games I thought I would enjoy though, never because I wanted the plat specifically.
    Currently working on: Jak 3

Platinums (25): 3D Dot Game Heroes, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Lvl 8 - Gold

there are certain games that i dont mind grinding (even though there is still a point where i say enough is enough). inFamous was a game like that, along with Assassins Creed 2, with the blast shards and feathers respectively. i did use a guide from this site to help speed things up, but i enjoyed the games and didnt mind the extra hour or so to get the stuff i missed through normal gameplay.

now games that make me wanna throw my controller through my tv for one or two trophies which i still cant get after 4 or 5 hours of retrying and dying and retrying and dying (and so on), thats when i say im done. World At War veteran was like this for me, even though now im going to give it another shot, MAYBE.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast