Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sony Patents Technology That Blocks Pre-Owned Games

This is a discussion on Sony Patents Technology That Blocks Pre-Owned Games within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; No!!!! thats bs i dont buy used games but i borrow games from my friends. This sucks sony better not ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

No!!!! thats bs i dont buy used games but i borrow games from my friends. This sucks sony better not implement this

Platinum Dohvakiin

The only reason why the gaming industry can get away with stuff like this, is because gamers allow it. The whole argument that Developers don't see a dime from used game sales, is just as absurd as well. Because in no other retail market. Does the original providing company of the merchandises have to be 'compensated' for the reselling of their product.
    The Gaming Industry has brainwashed so many gamers into thinking sh*t like this is exceptable. If TV manufactures, The Auto Industry, The Housing Market or anyone else for that matter, tried to pull a stunt like this. People would be outraged, because why should a company be compensated for something they already sold?
    When the console market dies off, it wont be due to [insert age of hardware here], it's going to be because of crap like this. Because only in the gaming industry can you have 3 multi-billion dollar companies (Activision, EA & Ubisoft) implement season/online passes, and claim it's because they are losing money, to a section of the market that doesn't even come up to the total amount of money they set aside as loses/theft & damaged, and gamers accept it as ok.
    The gaming industry made almost a 100 Billion dollars last year, alone. The used game market topped out at just under a Billion total. So what other industry on the planet can claim they are losing money to a market share. That doesn't even come up to 1% of total profits. Nobody would sit back and claim that Used Cars sales hurts the Auto Industry. Or that used home sales hurt housing developers. But gamers will proudly scream from the highest mountain top. That used game sales hurts the developers. Open your eyes and realize that, that isn't sweet running down your leg, that's blood because you're being @ss-raped.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:
    Yakuza: Dead Souls & Dynasty Warriors 7

дурак

*Reads responses*

Except platzreign.

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    The only reason why the gaming industry can get away with stuff like this, is because gamers allow it. The whole argument that Developers don't see a dime from used game sales, is just as absurd as well. Because in no other retail market. Does the original providing company of the merchandises have to be 'compensated' for the reselling of their product.
    The Gaming Industry has brainwashed so many gamers into thinking sh*t like this is exceptable. If TV manufactures, The Auto Industry, The Housing Market or anyone else for that matter, tried to pull a stunt like this. People would be outraged, because why should a company be compensated for something they already sold?
    When the console market dies off, it wont be due to [insert age of hardware here], it's going to be because of crap like this. Because only in the gaming industry can you have 3 multi-billion dollar companies (Activision, EA & Ubisoft) implement season/online passes, and claim it's because they are losing money, to a section of the market that doesn't even come up to the total amount of money they set aside as loses/theft & damaged, and gamers accept it as ok.
    The gaming industry made almost a 100 Billion dollars last year, alone. The used game market topped out at just under a Billion total. So what other industry on the planet can claim they are losing money to a market share. That doesn't even come up to 1% of total profits. Nobody would sit back and claim that Used Cars sales hurts the Auto Industry. Or that used home sales hurt housing developers. But gamers will proudly scream from the highest mountain top. That used game sales hurts the developers. Open your eyes and realize that, that isn't sweet running down your leg, that's blood because you're being @ss-raped.
    You have restored some of my faith in humanity.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

NSFW

Maybe they pantent it to discourage other developers doing it.... yeah, that's most likely not true.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I loathe buying used games. I won't even buy new games unless they're factory sealed.
    I'm the exact same way. Mostly because I like my game cases to be in prestine condition and almost every used game's case is beat to shit. I don't like giving GameStop my business unless I absolutely have to. And I can can tell the difference between factory sealed and simply repackaged.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    Would it be possible to see some sources for these statistics? I follow the financial side of gaming pretty heavily, and almost all of the numbers you have thrown out are either inflated, made-up, or undocumented. I won't go into it too deeply without giving you a chance to post some sources, but as of now - I am declaring this to be a whole lot of lies.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Negator

Sounds like gay-fuck-bullshit-fag-retarded-shit to me.

The One and Only

This could be a decision killer for me if they implement it to the PS4. IF they're actually serious about adding it, hopefully the impact it will get on the sales will help them realize how stupid this is so it would be eliminated in a Silm version, or whatever other versions of the PS4 they plan on releasing.

I'm not going to get the original PS4 already, so for me it's just a matter of wait and see.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I loathe buying used games. I won't even buy new games unless they're factory sealed.
    I'm the same way I refuse to buy games that aren't sealed so I love the idea.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I usually buy games new unless it's an older game and I can't find a new copy. But what does that mean for companies like Gamefly or Redbox where people just wanna rent games?

Currently Working On- Borderlands 2 52% Resistance: Burning Skies 40%

Lvl 4 - Silver

I have already decided to go with PC instead of next gen consoles...

Quote Originally Posted by A random guy on youtube
    If you want to marry a Korean woman, you will have to beat their father in StarCraft first \(-.-\)

Rangers F.C

I can understand there reasons for this but if you think about the amount of games you have thought there is no way I would play that it looks shit , then you see it one day really cheap ( new or old ) and decide for the price of it I will give it a go , then go on to like it . If they do this the games will stay over priced like PSN and I will not be taking any chances on games if I am going to be stuck with it and I am sure most people will be the same . It will result in smaller devs going tits up and then all we will have is nothing but COD hollywood nonsense on our hands .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

This is bad and anyone who isn't against it should feel bad

"First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist...."

Saints Row IV

I always rent games so this bullshit will affect me if it will happen.
    If sony does it,they're sells will fail and valve will laugh as they're console will bring death to others...
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 8 - Gold

I doubt they'll go as far as blocking used games, but if they do I'm not buying the console. This is coming from someone who only buys new games. I just don't want my gaming to depend on an account I don't own.

Plats-O'-War!!

As a person who buys used games (and new if I like it enough), this is a VERY bad move by Sony. Why would they cut off the use game movement like this? It's going to kill those who can't afford to buy new games when they 1st come out.

INTJ

sony has always been the creator of the stupidest shit of all time though

Authenticated electricity: Sony power outlets will charge you for charging | Ars Technica

tl;dr only plug in stuff we want you to plug in.

lets not get started on sony's Spying technology.

Let Me Watch

The next Xbox will most likely have the same thing.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"A favor for a favor, this d*ck is what I gave her"

Lvl 6 - Silver

just wait a few months and buy a new copy off amazon.
    Most of the times you can get a new copy cheaper than a used copy...saying nothing about worrying about scratches and other problems with used games

Rise and Shine.

That would be a gay move if they actually do implement it, but its their way of making money..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast