Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sony Patents Technology That Blocks Pre-Owned Games

This is a discussion on Sony Patents Technology That Blocks Pre-Owned Games within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; I bet there's a small chance, like 1%, that Sony is simply patenting this specific process to keep anyone else ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

I bet there's a small chance, like 1%, that Sony is simply patenting this specific process to keep anyone else from doing it. #conspiracytheory

Honestly, I don't see them implementing this. If they did, it would only affect me with older games. I just recently picked up FotNS: Ken's Rage, but I could only find it used. And I'm one of those weird people that actually likes Gamestop, because the employees at the stores I've been to are awesome. I realize some people are kinda poor and don't have the money to buy games new, and others are just cheap and don't think anything is worth full price, so used games have their place. While I don't agree with them doing this, since I actually do loan out games to my friends so they can try before they buy (especially when there is no demo available), I understand why they might be considering something like this.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Have you guys never bought something off the PSN ? It works in exactly the same way, as does Steam, but most people seem to not read that part of posts...

Technically, we know nothing of how this system will actually be implemented, if ever it is. It is a blatent patent troll from Sony, making the spec as generic as possible.

These 'cards' will probably be used as another way of locking games to an account (like psn/steam) but avoiding the mess that is online activation (it's a pain if you can't access Internet)

And guess what, read/write cards cost pretty much the same as read only, so could store a psn ID main account and give access to all PS3's with that ID as a main account.

My main worry would be that they'll probably make games even more expensive so we can pay for them getting more out of each sale...

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

Sony goes through with this:

I switch to Microsoft. Their is no reason Sony should block used games - what about people who go for game deals *cough cheepassgamer.com cough*

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare

Gotham's Reckoning

THE FUCK SONY?? I buy used games most of the time because I can't afford to buy new games all the time. This would be a really stupid movie if you actually implement it.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch-fr View Post
    Have you guys never bought something off the PSN ? It works in exactly the same way, as does Steam, but most people seem to not read that part of posts...
    Actually, PSN games can be played on any account on your console, and you can also download them on 1 other console and play on all the accounts on there. Plus, you can deactivate and re-activate consoles if you need as long as you aren't activated on more than 2 at a time.

Anyway, I think that Online Passes are the wave of the future rather than this thing. Allows people to buy used, but the developer gets pure profit from it ($10 or more from each transaction). If they really wanted to be stingy, they can require you to sign in even before playing single player, so you can't do anything without the online pass.
    Currently working on: Borderlands (DLC)

Platinums (27): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by mjglover View Post
    Actually, PSN games can be played on any account on your console, and you can also download them on 1 other console and play on all the accounts on there. Plus, you can deactivate and re-activate consoles if you need as long as you aren't activated on more than 2 at a time.

Anyway, I think that Online Passes are the wave of the future rather than this thing. Allows people to buy used, but the developer gets pure profit from it ($10 or more from each transaction). If they really wanted to be stingy, they can require you to sign in even before playing single player, so you can't do anything without the online pass.
    The online pass is just another way for them to milk money for a product they already sold. It needs to die. But it won't as long as people continue to support it.

--------

Due to this news breaking out, GameStop's stock fell yesterday.

Speculation about the potential impact on the used game market caused GameStop's share price to tumble by $1.67 over a single day, from a high of $25.67 to a low of $24.00 on January 3. The share price has since climbed back to over the $25.00 mark, but the sharp drop illustrates GameStop's heavy dependence on the pre-owned market. The retail videogame industry may be a dying beast anyway but the elimination of used games would sound an almost immediate death knell for the company.

Not that it's very likely to happen, according to analysts including Michael Pachter. "Sony is on record as saying that it has no desire to limit consumer choice," he said in an investors note. "Our more rational view is that Sony intends to put the ID matching technology into its consoles to provide individual publishers with the ability to block the playing of used games. The news has negatively impacted GameStop shares, and we think the reaction is overblown."
    Source: The Escapist : News : Sony Patent Hammers GameStop Share Price
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Steam and Windows say "Hi!".

Yeah, you can install Steam games on multiple systems, but the games are account-locked ie no sharing nor concurrent logins, and there's an activation limit on Windows to prevent free-for-all system installation.

Where's your song and dance routine for Valve and MS? They've had similar DRM policies for a decade...when was the last time you bought a used game on Steam or a used copy of Windows?
    Steam and windows doesn't lock itself to a single computer.

and for con-current logins, start up a game then log in somewhere else. it aint hard.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

Lvl 7 - Gold

Why do I keep hearing that the only people who buy new are "rich". I get it, people like to demonize the wealthy so it's convenient to say "well you're just a rich prick" and wave your hands in the air instead of thinking. I think it has more to do with patience than money. Everybody wants everything RIGHT NOW!! these days and with the volume of game releases it's not always easy or conveniant (which has become a mortal sin these days) to have it all right away. If, on the other hand, a person is willing to buy a game new, stick with it until you're done, then buy another game new it really doesn't take that much of a bank account. Often, you'll discover that the games will start to drop in price anyways by the time you get around to it anyways. A little research might be needed but putting forth some effort never killed anyone.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I buy used games, PS3 discs cant really get scratched too bad (I check b4) and I've never been disappointed buying used games from gamestop..

I have bought a couple new games... Sony you have my business but this policing shit is stupid

Lvl 4 - Silver

"That's the general expectation by consumers," Yoshida told Eurogamer. "They purchase physical form; they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."
    Yoshida added: "So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"
    The Ps4 will not block second-hand games

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3stralian View Post
    I usually always buy new games anyway however this would still piss me off heaps. what if i wanted to play the game on my second PS3? Im gonna be fucked now even tho i own both the game AND playstations.

I seriously hope they are not this stupid to actually do it
    Same here! I own 3 PS3's, PS Vita, and 2 PSP's. I WON'T buy multiple copies of a game for one household. Also buying used saves $ on some of the non blockbuster games. They make enough money off of one sold copy! $60 new release drops to $39.99 within 30-60 days of initial release dates. Plus they make a $hit load off of download content on an unfinished/rushed game!

Gargantua

I have a feeling this wont go through.

DON'T BLINK

This is nothing new. They did the same thing with the PS3 actually

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

Lvl 7 - Gold

it doesn't effect me as I buy new games, but still this is not a good idea, what will happen if your ps breaks down and you have to buy a new one. will that mean that you can't play the games already owned

worlds biggest welch fan

When the PS4 is out won't games be cheaper because of the hardware and it's more user friendly for developers.

A patent isn't a bad idea think about how many people hack games and steal from sony which = negative gross profit.

Overall will just wait and see when it comes out.
    SIG BY ME

Goal Reached FFXIV platinum #50

Lvl 7 - Gold

Ok...a couple things...I guess.. I almost never, EVER buy anything new..mostly because I can't afford to. I'll pick up clearance games at Target (still factory sealed and I guess considered "new") but I can count on one hand the number of times I've paid full retail price for a brand new release (Skyrim, Batman AC and AA) and that's honestly about it. I fully understand WHY they would do it...but I am 100% against it (for obvious reasons stated above). $60, to me, is a lot of cash to drop on something that, at best, is sub par. I had "Lollipop Chainsaw" preordered at Gamestop and I never ended up getting it..and, to be honest...I'd be furious if I went in there and dropped $60 on that game. Used games certainly have a market, and they certainly have a place in the video game world...

Check out these numbers ---- Videogame sales keep falling in March - MarketWatch

On a different note, with now "free-to-play" games taking the market by storm (I know...not PS3...just in general) even PC is suffering. Was a report just today on Yahoo that said World of Warcraft has seen a 1.3 MILLION decline in subscribers in just 3 months...because people don't want to be getting raped on overpaying all the time. Hopefully, like the one posted had shown, it sounds like (hopefully) this is going to be a non-issue. Just throwing my two cents in, I guess.
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234