Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sony Patents Technology That Blocks Pre-Owned Games

This is a discussion on Sony Patents Technology That Blocks Pre-Owned Games within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Sony Computer Entertainment has applied for a patent that would eliminate the used game market, via a system that includes ...

дурак

Sony Patents Technology That Blocks Pre-Owned Games

Sony Computer Entertainment has applied for a patent that would eliminate the used game market, via a system that includes a physical tag inside game boxes to check who’s allowed to play it.

Sony’s system would see a “permission tag” provided alongside game releases, with the console then checking the disk ID with this tag to see whether or not the user is allowed to play the game, based around unspecified “terms of use” attached to the sale. It’d work as a self-contained system, with no internet connection required.
    Source: Sony Patents Depressing Pre-Owned Games Blocking System | Gizmodo UK

Basically, this means that any game bought will be tagged to the console it was first played on. So if the consumer trades it in, or gives it to a friend, it will not be be playable unless it's on said console, regardless of whether or not you are connected to the internet. Now just because it was patent, doesn't necessarily mean it will be implemented. But this should still be taken seriously. Let's just hope Sony isn't stupid enough to go through with this.

With the Online Passes and the all the other anti-used games bullshit the industry has been pumping out, this can only mean bad things for the future of gaming. As far as I'm concerned, this makes me re-evaluate whether or not buying a PS4 would be worth it. Hell, I'd go so far as to whether or not gaming is worth it anymore.

What are your guys' thoughts? Maybe I misread something that doesn't make this out to be as bad it seems. If so, PLEASE let us all know. And as always if this thread was already posted, I'll close this thread.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

R.I.P Ellie

If they actually implement this retarded idea... then no, I highly doubt I'll be buying a PS4...

PRO Member

Fuck you Sony, really? Fuck you, this has really pissed me off

illegal in 9 countries

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I loathe buying used games. I won't even buy new games unless they're factory sealed.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Leaning much more towards a better PC instead of ps4 now.

I dont mind the used games part of it just that you can no longer let a friend try out a game then buy it or if your system breaks down.

She Got Me Up All Night

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I loathe buying used games. I won't even buy new games unless they're factory sealed.
    True but I would only think they are new if they are sealed…Some people can actually do that fake sealing crap here which is annoying so I do my game buying from amazon or best buy and if i want a rare game i cannot find on amazon i result to ebay…

I would never commit to buying a used game, however if you lend it to a friend and couldn't play it on that console is the dumbest idea I ever heard of.

Roo Commander

Doesn't really bother me if this is implemented as I rarely buy used games but it would be pretty crap for people that do buy them.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    True but I would only think they are new if they are sealed…Some people can actually do that fake sealing crap here which is annoying so I do my game buying from amazon or best buy and if i want a rare game i cannot find on amazon i result to ebay…
    Retail stores in Australia NEVER offer factory-sealed games, they're always opened by staff. If that seal's broken, I don't trust the integrity of the seller. More than once have I bought games in the past where the registration code has been used and fingerprints are all over the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    I would never commit to buying a used game, however if you lend it to a friend and couldn't play it on that console is the dumbest idea I ever heard of.
    The flip-side of the coin is that developers don't see a dime of a used game sale, rental, loaner or piracy. With profits incredibly low industry-wide and even giant publishers like THQ going down the gurgler and EA & Sony under threat, every dollar that goes into their pockets helps to fund new games.

Support developers. Buy new. The long term benefits significantly outweigh the short-term hip pocket pain.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Crocodile Hunter

I usually always buy new games anyway however this would still piss me off heaps. what if i wanted to play the game on my second PS3? Im gonna be fucked now even tho i own both the game AND playstations.

I seriously hope they are not this stupid to actually do it

Sig by Apokolypz

Up the Irons!

This doesn't really vex me because I don't like buying or using rented games. I've only played used games a couple of times this past summer when I got GameFly, but I just did that because I wanted to try it out. So I wouldn't mind not being able to use it, or any used game.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    I usually always buy new games anyway however this would still piss me off heaps. what if i wanted to play the game on my second PS3? Im gonna be fucked now even tho i own both the game AND playstations.
    That's a very small market segment, they can afford to sacrifice us. In that case, digital would be the way to go.

I'm also going to assume the PS4 will have account restrictions similar to the VITA - if the PSN account does not match the PSN account that purchased the VITA content, it won't install. I've bought VITA games on my US account and can't play them on my OZ account.

I'm expecting the PS4 discs to not only be console-locked, but account-locked as well. That's gonna suck for my kids...

In the end, it will happen and it will happen on all video gaming mediums. It's a natural extension of current account-locked content (Steam, PSN, XBL all have it in some form) to combat lost revenue. As gamers, we either suck it up and embrace the change, or reject it and miss out. I'm a roll with the punches kinda guy and don't care either way.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Leaning much more towards a better PC instead of ps4 now.

I dont mind the used games part of it just that you can no longer let a friend try out a game then buy it or if your system breaks down.
    Quote Originally Posted by APriceless View Post
    This doesn't really vex me because I don't like buying or using rented games. I've only played used games a couple of times this past summer when I got GameFly, but I just did that because I wanted to try it out. So I wouldn't mind not being able to use it, or any used game.
    i do buy alot of used games, however i dont have a problem with only being able to buy new. i do though have a problem with not being able to borrow a friends game, rent a game before deciding to purchase, or to use a game on a new console when my old one dies (which so far with the ps3 has happened twice)

before they really implement this new policy, they really need to take these factors into consideration

Lvl 8 - Gold

They need to stop charging 60 bucks for shit games that shouldn't cost more than 30,or releasing games that are broken pieces of shit that requires multiple patches to be playable,all the games in my collection were purchased new,75% of them i would have never purchased if i had not rented it first to see if i liked it before buying.

Retired

I don't buy used games so this won't affect me.

But there have been plenty 'patents' that weren't implemented by Sony, I don't think there's one that they have implemented anyway.

Backlog Grinding

This is a ridiculous idea that is more than likely going to be implemented. I am a huge fan of buying used games. I dont have time to play all the new games that I want and sometimes I will pick up a game that is a few years old and paying a used price is extremely convenient. But, I am a gamer at heart and will adapt to whatever Sony decides to do.....

Currently playing -->

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Could be a pain to implement in Europe in regards to property laws (I'm sure some company already had problems due to only selling a license to use and not a product)

On a more pratical note, not sure why this bothers people so much. Valve do exactly the same and are loved by 90% of the gaming community! Although the game should be able to be changed to a new console that is registered under my name (although if you look at SEN webpage this seems easy to implement)

Also Amazon prices are usually better than used games prices

Lvl 1 - Bronze

this does not bother me much. but what if my playstation breaks somehow? do i have to rebuy all my games? i'd rather have an account-bound, online-based system tbh

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Why Sony will have trouble implementing this : EU court rules resale of used software licenses is legal -- even online - Computerworld

In fact, strange no-one has bothered Steam yet !

PRO Member

Not that big of a deal to me I buy new anyway. it was only a matter of time before this happened anyway Gamestop has been robbing kids and making a fortune off of their scheme for years now since it was Funcoland and Devs and sony never see a dime for it so Gotta do what you gotta do to survive. we will see if or how it does get implemented when the time comes.

A plat a month!

I remember the same thing being talked about when the PS3 was being developed and marketed. Never happened.

There may be a patent for it now, but I doubt it would be implemented.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast