Sony reviels "Archival Disc" 300GB-1TB!

This is a discussion on Sony reviels "Archival Disc" 300GB-1TB! within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Stumbled across this as I was surfing the web lol Tokyo, Japan - March 10, 2014 - Sony Corporation ("Sony") ...

Plats-O'-War!!

Sony reviels "Archival Disc" 300GB-1TB!

Stumbled across this as I was surfing the web lol

Tokyo, Japan - March 10, 2014 - Sony Corporation ("Sony") and Panasonic Corporation ("Panasonic") today announced that they have formulated "Archival Disc", a new standard for professional-use, next-generation optical discs, with the objective of expanding the market for long-term digital data storage*.

Optical discs have excellent properties to protect themselves against the environment, such as dust-resistance and water-resistance, and can also withstand changes in temperature and humidity when stored. They also allow inter-generational compatibility between different formats, ensuring that data can continue to be read even as formats evolve. This makes them robust media for long-term storage of content. Recognizing that optical discs will need to accommodate much larger volumes of storage going forward, particularly given the anticipated future growth in the archive market, Sony and Panasonic have been engaged in the joint development of a standard for professional-use next-generation optical discs.

These efforts resulted in the formulation of "Archival Disc", a new professional-use next-generation optical disc standard, for which the technology roadmap, logo, and specifications are outlined below.

Sony Global - "Archival Disc" standard formulated for professional-use next-generation optical discs

Thoughts?

Aes Dana

300Gb to 1GB discs... that is awesome.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    300Gb to 1GB discs... that is awesome.
    Yeah, this will be interesting to see as it progresses.

Get bent...

I seem to remember an article where Sony stated that the PS4 would be 'future-proof' or 'future-ready' in terms of its disc drive.

I wonder if this is what they meant? Does the current PS4 drive have the capabilities to read these? Can they use them for games?

Maybe after a couple years on the market, we'll start seeing games utilizing these discs? So much more storage space would make it even easier for developers to max out the capabilities of the PS4.

Maybe this is why Sony let Microsoft have a Blu Ray drive for the XBone (aside from the $$$ aspect)....they knew they had something better in the pipeline.

If so.....well played Sony. Well played.

ALSO: It's spelled "reveals"
    Last edited by Tyrion619; 03-11-2014 at 03:08 AM.

Lvl 7 - Gold

need to upgrade the 500g hard drive lol (I am getting mine soon!)

Lvl 4 - Silver

FALLOUT 4!!!!!!! with this disc capacity. make it happen now!!!!