Should I get a ps vita?

This is a discussion on Should I get a ps vita? within the Sony forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; They are so expensive. Are they worth it?...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Should I get a ps vita?

They are so expensive. Are they worth it?

Negator

"Worth it" is something only you can determine. Personally, I don't think it's a great value unless you're gonna be playing lots of PSX and PS2 classics on the go.

Needs More Rum

Depends on what you're into and if you like Indie games. Probably best off to wait for Christmas sales and get one then.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Historical Researcher

Like Feral & Helyx stated, it depends on what games your into. Myself when I got mine last year, I bought it so I can play games on the go whether traveling or chilling at the library or when I was bored with a game on my PS3. Plus you can have some awesome game for it like Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary and more.
    Thanks to Beam for the awesome avy & sig.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I have one and never use it due to there being no games I'm interested in being on it other than Uncharted. Like the others have said if you like games on the go or wanna play classics then go for it.
    If you want one just for the "exclusives" then do NOT get it. 90% of the titles end up being ported to PS3 later on or just aren't even that good to start with.
    Or you can get the PS TV and buy Vita games to play on that.

PRO Member

I personally love mine. I've had it for two years and have yet to run out games to play. But I also enjoy smaller or "indie" games. It really just depends on what you like to play and what you're looking for from the system.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Judging by you starting the thread with "They are so expensive", I'd say no (don't buy it). If you think the ps vita is expensive, wait till you see the prices on they're memory cards.

PRO Member

If you like the way japan has been going with their rpgs, then sure. They've got stuff like Conception2 , Akibastrip, Mind Zero and Persona...

I picked it up for Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and Resistance, but afaik we rarely get any western titles now.

Is it really worth the bother for a handful of games? Not really, though I do use it a fair bit for videos, music, youtube etc.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    "Worth it" is something only you can determine. Personally, I don't think it's a great value unless you're gonna be playing lots of PSX and PS2 classics on the go.
    Don't forget Remote Play for PS3 and PS4.

I've got most of my Vita titles for free by subscribing to PS+, along with a dozen or two more freebies thanks to cross-buy on PS3 and PS4.

So yeah...mine's been worth it.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 8 - Gold

im with ant1 most (90%) of my games were free on plus which let me play games I wouldn't have bought or tried. but unless you like the current games out there don't bother as it looks like there wont be many new full games anytime soon...... I have used it for remote play due to I have kids but I don't like it (button format is crap, no r2/l2 handy)

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

as a owner of one i say its good if you like to import games because in my opinion japan releases more and better games than in the west
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

PS420

I agree with some here. Mine has definitely been worth it to play all my PS1/PSP games on the go AND all the "free" games that we've gotten from PS+. And there are a lot of Jrpgs and such which also makes it worth it. It's really up to you though. You need to analyze what you mostly play and if you like gaming on a smaller, portable device.

Binding of Isaac:Rebirth is my GOTY and it's free for this and PS4 with your plus subscription even though I bought it for steam as well.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I like my Vita, but unfortunately don't use it very often lately. I play a ton of Zen Pinball on it when I'm out & about, though.
    I got mine as a used lot , bundled with 5 games and a case for a decent price last year. Go on eBay, I think the deals are even better now, though the prices will likely skyrocket the closer you get to Xmas. Seriously, in my opinion, eBay is where you should look first.

Aes Dana

Like you need oxygen!! Definitely get a Vita! Love mine, use it loads.

Mr. Bubbles!

I got mine when the Borderlands 2 bundle came out. Definitely not a bad price considering the prices of each individual aspect in the package. I personally enjoy my vita as I have a never ending library coming from PS+. I also don't hate the service like most people do and I enjoy indie games

Toggle Spoiler

Latest Platinum: Silent Hill: Downpour
    Working On: PS3 COD Ghosts Extinction (add me to boost) The Evil Within and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel
    Vita: Gravity Rush

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bangcrashboom View Post
    I got mine when the Borderlands 2 bundle came out. Definitely not a bad price considering the prices of each individual aspect in the package. I personally enjoy my vita as I have a never ending library coming from PS+. I also don't hate the service like most people do and I enjoy indie games
    The Borderlands 2 Vita edition does NOT have a separate trophy list, so if you already have the platinum/100% for the PS3 game like i do, the Vita version of the game isn't worth the purchase.

Just like Bangcrashboom said, the Vita gets a LOT of indie games, and a lot of them are really really good, but the library is still small overall. The Vita is now used more as an accessory for the PS4 than its own standalone thing, so if you have a PS4 and don't mind the small-ish-kinda library of games and all the indie games, then go for it.

I personally won't be getting a Vita because of those reasons. I want a bigger library, I'm not too big on indie games (like 2D side scrollers and such), and I'm only now just starting to really use my PS4 even though i got it in January. Plus I own a 3DS XL, so having 2 handheld systems is kinda pointless...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

iF u aRE SONY FAN
    : YES
    * And Trophy Hunter

But For Music And Vids :

No

Buy Asus Padfone

Lvl 3 - Bronze

If you only intend using a VITA at home, get a Playstation TV instead.
    PRO's
    It's around 60% of the cost of the new cheaper VITA, you can have it playing at 1080i into your TV and mate a PS3/4 controller with it.
    You can go to your PS3's download history and re-download all your PSP and MOST [not all ] of your VITA games to a memory card you plug into the back of it.
    It has a lot more functionality that a stock VITA, and will be able to use the Sony game streaming service when it starts up.
    Plenty of options for backing up data, Cloud, Memory cards, PC if using free Content Manager Assistant software.

CONS
    Not compatible with all VITA games due to no rear touch, [A lot of VITA games never implemented this anyway, but 2 I know can't be played on PS TV are Wipeout 2048 and LBP VITA]
    Region locked [again - come on Sony this is pathetic] so you can only buy games from your countries PStore - same as VITA.
    Price of memory cards, total ripoff from Sony regarding this, the shouldn't cost what they do.

PS TV is pretty good, I bought one the other day, as I like some of the games, but hate handheld gaming.
    It makes old PSP games look pretty good on a 46" Sony LCD screen via HDMI at 1080i, quite a bit better than my PSP GO! does with component out, playing the same games on the same TV

Aes Dana

I have owned a Vita for over a year and a half and it is definitely worth a purchase. The Vita has quite the collection of great games and i found i use it loads. Would recommend getting a Vita even if you game mostly at home.

PS420

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I have owned a Vita for over a year and a half and it is definitely worth a purchase. The Vita has quite the collection of great games and i found i use it loads. Would recommend getting a Vita even if you game mostly at home.
    I second this.

Though I'll probably get PSTV as well.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|