Spec Ops: The Line Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on Spec Ops: The Line Demo Impressions within the Spec Ops: The Line forum, part of the S; Just a thread so you can talk about what you thought of the demo for Spec Ops: The Line . ...

Nope, nothing

Spec Ops: The Line Demo Impressions

Just a thread so you can talk about what you thought of the demo for Spec Ops: The Line. The demo is available to download now from the US Store, and will be tomorrow in EU.

So, what do you think?

Nope, nothing

So it seems no one played it yet? Anyway, I played the demo last night before bed, and here's what I thought.

I don't think it's very good, it reminded me of playing a PS2 game. The controls are really basic, graphics aren't up to much either, the story just seems boring and predictable, I don't feel it's bringing anything new/different to the genre. I mean, I can make sand fall on people? Big whoop

And at the part where you learn to use your team to take down other enemies and he takes out the one guys on that billboard thing...it explodes? I mean, making everything blow up to make it more exciting just doesn't do it for me, especially when it's something that isn't explosive.

I normally rent games that I don't think are great, but I don't even think I'll rent this game

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Hmm, I guess I liked it more than you did. From playing the demo I doubt the game would ever be a must play, but I can see myself picking it up on the cheap later on.

After adjusting the aiming sensitivity in the options, I actually liked how the shooting felt. The game is generous with accuracy, making gunplay a little more fun for me, if a bit easy.

I really like the setting too. It's difficult to judge the visuals based on a demo (they weren't particularly impressive), but I loved the use of lighting. The world is dusty and bleak, but bright and sunny at the same time. There's something about the way you traverse the landscape and structures of Dubai, that made it feel different enough from the usual desolate, war-torn locations found in most modern shooters.

As for the story, I was at least intrigued. The writing and voice acting all seemed very solid and it's nice to see any story at all in this type of game, so that's a plus!

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Plats-O'-War!!

I must agree with you both. This isn't a "must buy" game. Now, true enough this is a 3rd person shooter (which we need more of nowadays), and I will say what I like and don't like about it:

What I like:

1.) It's 3rd person
    2.) Controls are simple to grasp
    3.) The main character's voice is the same person that does Nathan Drake from Uncharted

What I don't like:

1.) Don't like the way you can't vault while running (Although you maybe able to)
    2.) It's really no story involved at all (granted, it's a demo)
    3.) Graphics are not up to par with other shooters
    4.) The command you give really don't work unless your in dire straights
    5.) Don't like the way you give commands in the demo/game (You can't just tell them to breach and clear which is what I thought would be an option)

Overall: This is a game that I will wait on a massive price drop (like to $20 ), or I may just pass up on altogether. Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this. Oh well.............(And for the record, there will be collectibles in this game as well )

Lvl 6 - Silver

While I did enjoy the demo, it isnt really a 1st day, must buy for me.

I love that it is a 3rd person shooter and agree with kidson2004 that we definitely could use more of them. I also found the voice acting quite good and the script between the soldiers entertaining.

The story and graphics do seem weak, however it is a demo so I'm not going to judge the graphics based on that and the story may feel more interesting when progressing through the SP in the final version.

The controls kind of replicate those from Uncharted but they feel more awkward and not as fluid. Commands given don't function too well but at least they do take down some of the enemies when under fire.

Speaking of enemies, I couldn't really tell if they were from different classes or skills as they all acted the same and were all defeated in the same, quite easy manner. I hope this is improved in the release as it would become very tedious and boring if every enemy was basically the same and didnt require different strategies to defeat.

Overall, I enjoyed the demo and I recommend others to download it. I doubt ill go out and pre-order it but it does play well enough that ill purchase it, likely after a price drop.

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS

Tomb Raider (89%), Killzone2 (82%)