Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Records/streaks that won't be broken

This is a discussion on Records/streaks that won't be broken within the Sports forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; There are a constant number of records and/or streaks that are broken every year in sports. However, there are some ...

PRO Member

Records/streaks that won't be broken

There are a constant number of records and/or streaks that are broken every year in sports. However, there are some that seem to be near un-achievable. What streaks do you think will be able to stand forever? If you put a record down, try to put why you don't think it will be broken please.

For me, there are two that I don't think will be broken:

1) The record: MLB consecutive hitting games. Set by: Joe DiMaggio in 1941. Length: 56 games. Reason it won't be broken: It will be 71 years this season that DiMaggio set this record. Since then, the closest anybody has gotten was 44 games by Pete Rose in 1978. In the history of baseball, there have only been 55 instances where there was a 30 game hitting streak, 6 that had 40 games and only DiMaggio has gone over 50. The amount of analysis that pitchers and coaches have on hitters also makes this seem more unlikely. Furthermore, hitting is as streaky as anything in sports.

2) The record: Consecutive NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Titles. Set by: UCLA Bruins from 1967-1973. Length: 7 titles. Reason it won't be broken: The sheer amount of teams in Div I basketball (347 of them to be correct), for starters, makes it that much tougher to get to the tournament. Also, once you make it to the tournament, you must play and win 6 more games. This is another spot where streaks happen. The number of upsets each year almost always knocks a favorite out of the tournament

NSFW

Well.... There is always the "first" records... Those can't be beaten.... yeah, I don't know much about sports so... yeah.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Legend...Nuff Said

MLB: Most wins at 511...has anyone even gotten 400 wins in the past 40 years?

NHL: Most points: Crosby was looking like he might have had the potential to do it but concussions possibly ruined that. He might still beat Howe though.

Soccer: Most career goals...Messi and Ronaldo are looking good to score lots of goals but over 1000, it might not be possible.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

NASCAR: Most Sprint Cup wins: Richard Petty's 200. Closest to that of active drivers is Jeff Gordon's 85 but there's no way he'll hit that number, and Jimmie Johnson isn't going to hit that number either (although he might get close to it).

All out of bubblegum.....

Cal Ripken's consecutive games played. Nolan Ryan's strikeouts in a career. Pete Rose's hits in a career. I'm iffy on Hank Aaron's home run total... I used to be a A-Rod fan, but not anymore, and I dont think any of the big home run hitters of this generation show the potential to be consistent.
    Scogg34's House of Splatter
    Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'd say a lot of the pitching records in the MLB, like most wins in a season and career wins. When it comes to pitching, the game has just changed too much for anyone to come anywhere close to some of those records.

Sig and avatar courtesy of ABSTRACT678
    Platbar courtesy of ThunderStick

Lvl 1 - Bronze

emmitt smith-career rushing yards..............jerry rice-career rec., rec. yards, touchdowns........................ladanlian(sp!) tomlinson-single season rush tds.---------------the two rushing records because of longevity and a pass oriented league, the receiving due to longevity, inconsistant qb play, free agency, and Jerry was just plain badass.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Favres consecutive start record. Only guy close was manning.
    Gretzky - Goals, Assists. Good luck with that.

PRO Member

Do you guys really think any of Brady records will be broken?

Patriots 07- The only team to go 16-0 in regular season, I don't see that happening ever again

Lvl 3 - Bronze

4 straight super bowl appearances,by Buffalo Bills, 7 sacks in one game by late Derrick Thomas, 81 and 100 by Kobe and Wilt.
    ---------------------------------------------
    "He's no good to me dead."

Up the Irons!

100 points in a single game by Wilt Chamberlain.
    Last edited by APriceless; 07-22-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Mistake

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Lvl 5 - Silver

Most saves by NHL goaltender in regular season game Sam Lopresti 80

Closing this account

Most Ties in a Season -6
    1932 Chicago Bears
    Most Points, Single Team, Game-73
    Chicago Bears 73 vs Washington Redskins 0, Dec. 9, 1940, (Championship Game)

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

I remember hearing this story on a TV program, probably not going to happen ever again:

Dock Ellis pitched a no hitter while high on LSD in 1970

timezone: GMT+7 ⌋ // ⌈ blind PSN friend requests are ignored

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by bobaxx View Post
    4 straight super bowl appearances,by Buffalo Bills, 7 sacks in one game by late Derrick Thomas, 81 and 100 by Kobe and Wilt.
    ---------------------------------------------
    "He's no good to me dead."
    4 straight APPEARANCES i could see being broken... i could also see 7 sacks in a game being done again/broken too, guys drop back to pass more and more these days, you see a 3 or 4 sack game every now and then.. never know..

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    MLB: Most wins at 511...has anyone even gotten 400 wins in the past 40 years?
    this is probably the MOST unbreakable of any record.. simply because of 5 man and even 6 man rotations.. its hard enough to get a 20 game winner any more. who was last to 300 wins? Clemens, Maddux? its soooo hard for these guys to even get 300 anymore.

think of some of the league veterans.. Beckett, Halladay, even guys like Zito, how many current pitchers even HAVE 200 wins?? i know Pedro Martinez, even as great as he was only finished just over 200

after looking things up: .. Pedro (219-100)
    Curt Schilling (216-146)
    Clemens (354-184)
    Maddux (355-227)
    Glavine (305)
    Randy Johnson (303)

Mussina 270, Pettitte 243,

hell, looking at the list, there's not one active guy, other than Pettitte who has 200 wins.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Quote Originally Posted by BadAzzOutlaw View Post
    this is probably the MOST unbreakable of any record.. simply because of 5 man and even 6 man rotations.. its hard enough to get a 20 game winner any more. who was last to 300 wins? Clemens, Maddux? its soooo hard for these guys to even get 300 anymore.

think of some of the league veterans.. Beckett, Halladay, even guys like Zito, how many current pitchers even HAVE 200 wins?? i know Pedro Martinez, even as great as he was only finished just over 200

after looking things up: .. Pedro (219-100)
    Curt Schilling (216-146)
    Clemens (354-184)
    Maddux (355-227)
    Glavine (305)
    Randy Johnson (303)

Mussina 270, Pettitte 243,

hell, looking at the list, there's not one active guy, other than Pettitte who has 200 wins.
    I disagree, I think most wins in a season is the most unbreakable record in sports.

4 guys in the past 10 years hit 300 wins, Mussina could have easily made it had he not retired after winning 20 games in 2008.

Old Hoss Radburn, with 59 wins in a season. Lol. No one can even get half of that.

Avy by DaRe_xLw Ta-Ta Bar by Beam

Banned

I'll post one that has potential to be beaten... but has only been tied once... Don Mattingly was my favorite player back in the day and he hit all 6 of his career grand slams in the same season... only 1 other player has tied that record...

... it's a record of opportunities so a little luck & a lot of talent... first you have to have the bases loaded then you have to smack it out of the park...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

as basketball is the only sport i really follow, the only ones i know of will be from that-

-100 points by wilt. granted, some people will argue that the era back then was easy for him or that the game was a farce the last few minutes (philly intentionally feeding him the ball at every opportunity and new york fouling anyone but wilt to keep the ball outta his hands). consider that kobe was arguably in his prime as an individual player, played all 4 quarters, had the benefit of having a 3-point line and still only got to 81. as he said himself, it's "unthinkable. pretty exhausting to think about it."
    and to the people who would say the lakers played the raptors that night, i ask the same question i ask everyone: how come no one else has scored 81 or higher against what was regarded as a mediocre team at that time?

that said, there's plenty of records held by wilt that will probably never be broken. the notable one being his 50.4 points per game average back in 1961-1962. whether his scoring records are because of the era he played in, that's for another debate. but the fact remains that he's at the top of MOST of the scoring records.

-33 consecutive wins. can it potentially be broken? sure. do i think it'll happen? no.
    and their schedule back then seemed more hectic than the schedule now.
    taking a look at houston's more recent 22-game winning streak back in 07-08, they had only 3 back-to-back games.
    whereas looking at the 71-72 lakers schedule, the streak starts with 3 games in a row. total, they had 4 strings of 3 games in a row and 4 back-to-backs (back-to-backs not being counted as part of the 3 games in a row)

-john stockton's records as all-time steals and assists. it's debatable whether that's because he played for so long, only missing a total of 22 games in his ENTIRE, 19 year career. but i saw him play and he was a great enough player that had he missed a few more games or even a full season, he'd still be at the top of those lists. he also holds a few assists-related records that probably won't be broken as well (assists per game in one season with 14. 5)

-kareem's record as the all-time points leader. like stockton, he played a very long time but it's the unstoppable skyhook that helped kareem climb to the top of the record books.

-john stockton's 19 year tenure with the utah jazz being the longest a player as spent with one franchise.
    in this day and age, players are switching teams for money and championships so the days of being loyal to your team regardless of the success (like stockton and reggie miller) are long gone.
    the next closest active player on this list is kobe and realistically, if he decides to play 3 more seasons, he can break this record. he obviously keeps himself in shape; it's just a matter of if he wants to play basketball for a grand total of 20 years.

Lvl 6 - Silver

hockey -
    Mario Lemieux scores 5 different ways in the same game:
    even strength, power play, shorthanded, penalty shot, empty net.

New York Islanders - 19 consecutive playoff series victories. I doubt any team in any league will beat this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast