Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Euro 2012 Spain: European Champion

This is a discussion on Euro 2012 Spain: European Champion within the Sports forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; The most important football competition in the world (after the World Cup) is about to start yet again. With 7 ...

Kiwi Defender

Euro 2012 Spain: European Champion

The most important football competition in the world (after the World Cup) is about to start yet again. With 7 of the featured teams ranked in the top 10 national teams according to FIFA (among them #1, #3 and #4), this is technically the World Cup, minus some very mediocre Brazilian and Argentinian teams.

Since I've always been a Spain fan, I hope and think they'll win, with either Germany or the Netherlands being second place.

I sure as hell hope to see that happen again this year lol.

Who do you support and who do you think will win this time?

Matches so far

First leg
    Poland 1-1 Greece
    Russia 4-1 Czech Republic
    Netherlands 0-1 Denmark
    Germany 1-0 Portugal
    Spain 1-1 Italy
    Republic of Ireland 1-3 Croatia
    France 1-1 England
    Ukraine 2-1 Sweden

Second leg
    Greece 1-2 Czech Republic
    Poland 1-1 Russia
    Denmark 2-3 Portugal
    Netherlands 1-2 Germany
    Italy 1-1 Croatia
    Spain 4-0 Republic of Ireland
    Ukraine 0-2 France
    Sweden 2-3 England

Third Leg
    Czech Republic 1-0 Poland
    Greece 1-0 Russia
    Portugal 2-1 Netherlands
    Denmark 1-2 Germany
    Croatia 0-1 Spain
    Italy 2-0 Republic of Ireland
    England 1-0 Ukraine
    Sweden 2-0 France

Quarter-finals
    Czech Republic 0-1 Portugal
    Spain 2-0 France
    Germany 4-2 Greece
    England 0-0 (penalties, 2-4) Italy

Semi-finals
    Portugal 0-0 (penalties, 2-4) Spain
    Germany 1-2 Italy

Final
    Spain 4-0 Italy

Spain European Champions
    Last edited by Nagflar; 07-01-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

From a place called south east london - I heard your mum's got bunions... fam what!?

I think Spain will win, folloed by Germany or Netherlands. Germany has a good young squad to grow with so they'll only get better.

France will have some problems with they're players. England will be england and play crap.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManicRipper2?feature=mhee

LOTR: Conquest/COD: W@W/Mirror's Edge/Transformers: ROTF/Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/MW2/God of War III/LittleBigPlanet/Bad Company 2/COD Classic/InFamous/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves/Trine/Burnout Paradise/inFAMOUS 2/COD: Black Ops/Assassin's Creed II/Anarchy: Rush Hour/MW3/Battlefield 3/Prototype 2/Far Cry 3/Sleeping Dogs/NFS:Most Wanted/FIFA13

Kiwi Defender

Well, first two matches are over, with Greece giving Poland a run for their money in a match that ended 1-1, and with Russia trashing Czech Republich 4-1, which was entertaining as hell (goals and highlights below).

Toggle Spoiler

Now to wait for tomorrow's matches: Portugal - Germany and Denmark - Netherlands, with the Portugal/Germany ones shaping up to be a great match.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

#cutformesa

Ireland's way through the group stage

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

PRO Member

Being half english and half italian I can pick from two sides. I always pick italy as most times they get further then England but you never know. Italy v spain sunday will be a good game.

Trophy Guide Kitten

I've bee going for whoever wins, and so far Poland and Russia have won (if I remember correctly) Let's see if I'm skilled enough to keep it going
    K? Thanks

Beast Incarnate

I only managed to catch the Poland vs. Greece game yesterday. It was really a game of 2 halves, and the refereeing was shocking, but it was entertaining.

I missed the thrashing Russia gave to Czech Republic as I was out. I'll hopefully catch both games tonight as they are both shaping up to be good, it will be a tight group.

I'm obviousley an England fan as I'm English, but I really can't see us getting out of the group stages. I'll be shocked as hell if we do.

Gotham's Reckoning

Well obviously as I'm Irish I'm going to be supporting Ireland and this is our first soccer tournament in 10 years so I definitley have to watch it cause it could be another while before we qualify for another soccer tournament.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

#cutformesa

Wow that was very unexpected. Fair play to Denmark anyway. The Netherlands weren't playing that great despite being in control most of the game. Hats off to Sneijder, he basically carried the team through the second half. Just disappointed nobody managed to score

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

PRO Member

It's shaping up to be an exciting Euro's with no 1 team certain to beat another. Ill always support England but i learned after the World cup of 2006 that the media in this country big up our team that they're going to win with the so called golden generation that i got swept up in all the hype and was pissed right off when we got knocked out. That's why this time im not holding out much hope but ill be over the moon IF we did win it.

As for who i think will win it i think it's a toss up between Germany or Spain.

Kiwi Defender

Well, today we saw the Netherlands lose to Denmark 1-0 in a match that they controlled. Van Persie could've scored twice but didn't manage to, and Denmark nearly scored again. Without a doubt, unexpected.

Meanwhile, Germany proved once again that they are lucky as hell after Beating Portugal 1-0 in a match where Portugal had more chances to score even if they didn't control as much. If they play like this throughout the whole tournament, I highly doubt they'll win, same with the Netherlands.

Will post some highlights later today when I can find more videos that aren't taken down lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Compalicious View Post
    I've bee going for whoever wins, and so far Poland and Russia have won (if I remember correctly) Let's see if I'm skilled enough to keep it going
    Poland and Greece finished 1-1, comp .

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMcD View Post
    Wow that was very unexpected. Fair play to Denmark anyway. The Netherlands weren't playing that great despite being in control most of the game. Hats off to Sneijder, he basically carried the team through the second half. Just disappointed nobody managed to score
    Indeed. This reminds me of Denmark 20 years ago. Who knows? They might win again this year! And yes, Sneijder is the shit, like every other Inter player .

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMcD View Post
    Ireland's way through the group stage

!

Toggle Spoiler

Kiwi Defender

Late post is late, but here are the highlights for the Germany 1-0 Portugal and the Netherlands 0-1 Denmark matches.

Toggle Spoiler

Now, regarding today's matches, Spain and Italy finished 1-1, in what has t be the best match so far. Italy didn't live in their area. They actually intercepted the ball as much as they could and made Iker Casillas save a few shots. Surprisingly, Del Bosque didn't align a center forward at the beginning and it wasn't until 70th minute or so that he changed Fabregas for Torres, who almost scored twice, missing by a meter or so on the second one. Italy was also forgiven of many yellow cards and even a red card or two, for they kicked Iniesta more time than I can count.

On the other match, Ireland lost 3-1 to Croatia, who dominated them and kept attacking 'till the last minutes. There was a very controversial call by the ref when a Crotaian player clrealy fouled an Irish forward on the area and they didn't mark the penalty. Such a shame, for the refs had been pretty much spot on throughout the whole match. They'll surely give Italy many problems next week when they face each other, and they might even get to the next round.

Now to wait for tomorrow's France - England, which I believe the Frenchies will win.I just hope England doesn't get eliminated before Rooney can play lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Thought i'd add myself to this -
    I'm an England supporter, I hope they win, I know they they could've won the tournament with all their players fit & on a good day, but that just didn't happen. It troubles me the way we have set ourselves out & the negative approach sure isn't helping but i think they'll go further than expected.

But from a logical POV, Spain are sure favourites (Well, maybe not with their tactics they played today) with Germany coming in close second (their team is phenomenal with the domestic team dominance similar to Spain).

Here is my Predicted Route to the Final:

Quarter Finals -

Russia - Portugal

Spain - France

Germany - Czech

England – Italy

Semi-Finals -

England - Germany

Spain – Russia

Final -

England - Spain

Final Order-
    1st - Spain
    2nd - England
    3rd - Germany
    Last edited by Kratoskillrz; 06-23-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Kiwi Defender

Here are some highlights for the Spain 1-1 Italy and Ireland 1-3 Crotia matches.

Toggle Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Kratoskillrz View Post
    Thought i'd add myself to this -
    I'm an England supporter, I hope they win, I know they they could've won the tournament with all their players fit & on a good day, but that just didn't happen. It troubles me the way we have set ourselves out & the negative approach sure isn't helping but i think they'll go further than expected.

But from a logical POV, Spain are sure favourites (Well, maybe not with their tactics they played today) with Germany coming in close second (their team is phenomenal with the domestic team dominance similar to Spain).

Here is my Predicted Route to the Final:

Toggle Spoiler

I'm amazed you actually believe Portugal will pass instead of the Netherlands . And although I find it difficult to happen, it does seem possible, with the Netherlands facing Germany next week (and me assuming they'll lose). We'll have to wait and see, though.

Toggle Spoiler

Beast Incarnate

I missed both games yesterday as I was playing football myself. Saw the first half of the Spain - Italy game but that was it. I'm looking forward to the England game later, although I'll be shocked as hell if we win, I think the best we can ask for against France is a draw. Never the less, fingers are crossed.

Lvl 4 - Silver

From a place called south east london - I heard your mum's got bunions... fam what!?

So far the results have surprised me.
    Spain didn't win. Netherlands lost, England didn't loose, France didn't loose, Sweden lost.

I now would now put my money on Germany, and I hope Nethlands start playing much better, espeically you Van Persie, play like you do at Arsenal
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManicRipper2?feature=mhee

LOTR: Conquest/COD: W@W/Mirror's Edge/Transformers: ROTF/Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/MW2/God of War III/LittleBigPlanet/Bad Company 2/COD Classic/InFamous/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves/Trine/Burnout Paradise/inFAMOUS 2/COD: Black Ops/Assassin's Creed II/Anarchy: Rush Hour/MW3/Battlefield 3/Prototype 2/Far Cry 3/Sleeping Dogs/NFS:Most Wanted/FIFA13

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I watched the england game before and i was happy with the draw since France looked like the better team and we were just.....well us really.Nothing spectacular but im happy with the draw.They all play great for the clubs but pick the best and put them in the England squad and we just dont seem to gel ever! I hate to be a pesimist but i dont think we will do well,however,it is early doors and of course i want England to win but i have to be realistic at the same time.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Kiwi Defender

Well, England and France finished 1-1, which was unexpected. The English side played well and knew how to defend themselves, with the French side not knowing how to get past said defense (specially with Ribery and Benzema being the only ones willing to try). Very interesting and fun to watch, without a doubt.

On the other side, Shevchenko's Ukraine beat Zlatan's Sweden 2-1, with two goals by the former and one the other by latter. I only managed to watch the first 10 minutes (so I can't comment about the game itself, which I hear was good), but it's nice to know that Shevchenko is still on good shape.

Highlights and goals on the spoiler below.

Toggle Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post
    I missed both games yesterday as I was playing football myself. Saw the first half of the Spain - Italy game but that was it. I'm looking forward to the England game later, although I'll be shocked as hell if we win, I think the best we can ask for against France is a draw. Never the less, fingers are crossed.
    Well, your realistic thoughts lost, since England managed to draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Ripper View Post
    So far the results have surprised me.
    Spain didn't win. Netherlands lost, England didn't loose, France didn't loose, Sweden lost.

I now would now put my money on Germany, and I hope Nethlands start playing much better, espeically you Van Persie, play like you do at Arsenal
    Yeap, we all thought France would trash England lol.

And I think it's to early to base our predictions on Germany, for they didn't play well against Portugal. They didn't finish 1-1 or something similar due to their damned German luck.

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    I watched the england game before and i was happy with the draw since France looked like the better team and we were just.....well us really.Nothing spectacular but im happy with the draw.They all play great for the clubs but pick the best and put them in the England squad and we just dont seem to gel ever! I hate to be a pesimist but i dont think we will do well,however,it is early doors and of course i want England to win but i have to be realistic at the same time.
    I'm amazed so many of you english people were ralistic enough to think you'd lose. England play well (compared to every other time), and managed to play a great defense that only Benzema and Ribery were willing to beat.

And don't worry, Rooney is by far the ebst player in that team, and someone who is willing to carry the team as far as he can. If anyone can lead you to the finals matches is him, and judging by how they played today without him, they can get past the group stage on their own and wreck some havoc at the Quarter Finals with him. We'll just have to wait and see.

Toggle Spoiler

Beast Incarnate

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, your realistic thoughts lost, since England managed to draw!
    I did say the best I could hope for was a draw, and thats what we got. Still, I think our group will be the tightest group of the competition, Ukraine played a great game to manage to beat Sweden, who I thought would stuff the Ukraine.

As for our best player, yes Rooney is definitely our leader, but the experience of Ashley Cole (best left back in the world), John Terry and Steven Gerrard definitely help. I'm impressed with Scott Parker, proper old fashioned played who's willing to stick any body part in the way of the ball. But our most promising talent at these finals is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, he's capable of great things at this tournament if he's given the chance.

Kiwi Defender

W00t, forgot to update this. Yesterday's matches finished like this: Greece 1-2 Czech Republic, which was very entertaining (specially for the first half), but full of errors from both sides, and Poland 1-1 Russia, which was unexpected as the Russians were very offensive and somehow couldn't score again.

Highlights here:

Toggle Spoiler

Today, Portugal manaed to defeat Denmark 3-2 in the last minutes of the match, after Denmark managed to score the equalizer in the 80th minute. Cristiano Ronaldo sadly failed two very clear chances that could've made the match much simpler for his side.

On the other match, Germany defeated the Netherlands with a 2-1 score, with their two goals coming from Mario Gomez. The Netherlands were much more offensive in the second half and could've scored again, but didn't manage to do so. While Germany played well, they've demonstrated they aren't as good as a few years ago, for the Netherlands played rather average and almost managed to tie the game.

Now the Netherlands will need to beat Portugal with a 3-0 score and hope Denmark loses to Germany in order to go to the next phase. On the other hand, if Denmark beats the Germans with a two-goal lead, and Portugal wins, Germany would be out (which is most likely not going to happen, but I can dream!). In other words, anyone can advance to the next round, regardless of how impossible it looks. Will be very interesting.

(I'd post highlights but I can't find any yet lol).

Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post
    I did say the best I could hope for was a draw, and thats what we got. Still, I think our group will be the tightest group of the competition, Ukraine played a great game to manage to beat Sweden, who I thought would stuff the Ukraine.

As for our best player, yes Rooney is definitely our leader, but the experience of Ashley Cole (best left back in the world), John Terry and Steven Gerrard definitely help. I'm impressed with Scott Parker, proper old fashioned played who's willing to stick any body part in the way of the ball. But our most promising talent at these finals is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, he's capable of great things at this tournament if he's given the chance.
    I've seen everyone's predictions pointing out to Sweden's win against Ukraine (except for mine). I ignore why everyone thought that. Shevchenko is very good and he has a very nice team backing him up, which is much better than Zlatan's.

Eh... Ashley Cole isn't very good. He's rather average at defending and, although he's good at attacking, even Marcelo and Dany Alves are better at that. John Terry can't really mark well, nor defend well. He's come this far because he loves kicking people. Gerrard is, indeed, very good. Shame he's no longer at his top level as before, plus he doesn't seem to be willing to carry the team or at least give out his all. If he was at his top and was willing to give the competitoin his all, him and Rooney could potentially create very good plays and give many problems to the opposing teams. I actually ignore how good Alex is. Never saw him play before, but he did rather well against France. Might actually do a lot, like you say.

Toggle Spoiler

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast