Pretty soon I won't be able to stomach "professional" soccer anymore.

This is a discussion on Pretty soon I won't be able to stomach "professional" soccer anymore. within the Sports forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; There are many things you can say about professional soccer players. They typically lead exceptionally healthy lifestyles. They have world-class ...

Retired TGT Member

Pretty soon I won't be able to stomach "professional" soccer anymore.

There are many things you can say about professional soccer players. They typically lead exceptionally healthy lifestyles. They have world-class endurance and skill. Most all of them have mind-blowing ball control.

But what is it with all the whining? I am getting sick and tired of watching grown men, "professionals", roll around on the ground and scream because somebody from the opposing team brushed their jersey and as a result they fell down, rolled over six times, and broke their ankle, which is clearly the only reason they didn't score. If you breathe on a soccer player he'll fall down and cry for a full three minutes, five minutes if he was within 45 yards of the goal. Two minutes after that, he's running around again at full-strength like nothing happened.

This is a growing phenomenon and globally-televised events like the Olympics, World Cup, EURO, etc. only seem to be making it worse. What is wrong with these people? Here's an idea: shut up and play the game.

Summer holidays :)

Whole heartedly agree with you, it's one of the reasons i've been losing interest in watching football the last few seasons.

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Lvl 8 - Gold

I have to agree with this, sadly. I love soccer, and have recently been seeing a bunch of games on tv when I'm on break at work. But the actual play seems to stop every couple minutes cause someone fell and decided not to get up. But just like you said, as soon as they get attention, they're back on their feet and running with the best of them. It pisses me off because it slows the game down and wastes time. I can't imagine what the players actually gain from this nonsense.

Hero of Kvatch

They oughta treat football like horse racing, if a player goes down and looks like he's in distress, get the shotgun out and put them out of his misery.

"War, war never changes."

Kiwi Defender

Simple solution: don't watch football. Amazing how problems like this have simple answers .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Never in my life i enjoyed watching people run after a ball, don't get why so many people would even hurt another because they lost
    I thought it was supposed to be an entertainment but i have doubts xD

Rainbow in the dark

I only just finished watching holland vs germany.. and omg you hit the nail on the head
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

The One and Only

The only reason why I never watch soccer (or football since most people call it that) because it's flat out boring to me. Same reason why I don't watch golf, tennis, nor baseball. They may be intense sports to play in their own ways, but it just doesn't interest me. I lol'd at the things the OP said though.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

ILoveU4Life

I just don't even watch sports. I love playing them but watching them is boring, why watch other people do what you can do yourself?
    On Topic : It is Stupid, but it's just the way it is at the moment, so oh well.... I still my local team matches once every 3 months on average but that is the only sports matches I watch

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Change is good

I agree with you (though I have always found soccer ((other than FIFA)) boring). I hate when people do that in any sport though, it is downright sad.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Enviouswrath View Post
    I only just finished watching holland vs germany.. and omg you hit the nail on the head
    Not entirely. Ever been kicked while playing football by someone who plays the game constantly? It hurts. A lot. And then play another match less than 5 days later, and get kicked another dozen times in that same leg. It hurts more. Football players usually stay in the ground for a while because it actually hurts them and, much like normal pain from hitting a table's leg with your foot, it fades quickly.

Them diving is different. They sometimes do it to avoid getting kicked by a pig like Terry or, much to the game's dismay, gain a foul. Good thing is that during this Euro, most refs haven't marked them dives as fouls, ignoring them instead, which is good progress.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

they should just start handing out penalties for this crap

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

The Bushiest Pig

Antonios, this was actually the thing that turned me off of Soccer. After Philadelhpia got their own soccer team, the Union, I decided to start watching soccer. I went to a Union game, watched a few matches on tv .... and all I could think was "wow, really?" I do understand that some of these injuries are real .. but c'mon, going down for like 5 minutes screaming because someone steped on your toe? Christ, when I was 12 i had a 130 pounds kid literally jump on my foot (I ws only 65ish punds at the time). Sure I fell over and it hurt but I was down for like a mintue or two and walked it off.
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

The Grand Ray Legend

That my friend is called ''flop'' its not just hurting soccer, its hurting all sports, and to me its the worst tactic ever in sports
    Sig and Avy made by the talented DaRe_xLw

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Im a big football fan and i love watching the premier league and i cant wait for it to start.But i completely agree with the original post.Ive seen some of the more seasoned players of the league go down at the slightest tap or if they lose the ball and i think "just f***ing get up".But then you see vids on you tube or you hear of these players getting in scraps in night clubs and what have you and then all of the theatrics you see on tv or at a game are just proof that they are intentionally going down (which is obvious in the first place) even though theres sod all wrong with them and they should be getting up and keeping the game going and not spoiling it because you lost the ball.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Platinum Procrastinator

I especially love it when they take a dive or flop and the camera zooms in on them and they look up for a second and see that people are watching them and then they realize this and go back to acting like they are hurt. Soccer/football is by far the worst sport I've watched where people constantly fake injuries to try and get an advantage. Because of this, I could never get into it.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 4 - Silver

From a place called south east london - I heard your mum's got bunions... fam what!?

If you wan to watch football, but hate the pussy rolling aspect, watch the African Cup Nations next time its on
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ManicRipper2?feature=mhee

LOTR: Conquest/COD: W@W/Mirror's Edge/Transformers: ROTF/Star Wars: The Force Unleashed/MW2/God of War III/LittleBigPlanet/Bad Company 2/COD Classic/InFamous/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves/Trine/Burnout Paradise/inFAMOUS 2/COD: Black Ops/Assassin's Creed II/Anarchy: Rush Hour/MW3/Battlefield 3/Prototype 2/Far Cry 3/Sleeping Dogs/NFS:Most Wanted/FIFA13

Beast Incarnate

I HATE diving and play acting. It pisses me off so much. There is no need for it at all. I play football a few times a week, we kick ten tonnes of shit out of each other, but we don't whine about it, we get on with it and play. For some reason, picking up 40,000+ a week means you can act like a complete twat.

This is where camera technology and another official would come in handy. Player goes down, quick check of the replay, he took a dive, communicate with the ref through an ear piece, ref books diver. Or just give them a straight red, would soon make them think twice.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post
    This is where camera technology and another official would come in handy. Player goes down, quick check of the replay, he took a dive, communicate with the ref through an ear piece, ref books diver. Or just give them a straight red, would soon make them think twice.
    Yeah, you'd think for the money they're getting they wouldn't have anything to complain about. I do like your idea about quick replays too. Give them hard penalties for doing it and they'll all quickly fall in with the new rules otherwise cost their teams in the long run.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_TKO View Post
    They oughta treat football like horse racing, if a player goes down and looks like he's in distress, get the shotgun out and put them out of his misery.
    You my friend deserve a +Rep