Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

The Official NFL 2012-13 Season Thread

This is a discussion on The Official NFL 2012-13 Season Thread within the Sports forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; Originally Posted by 00Highway00 Well, I stand corrected. I guess Harbough will bench Smith for Kaepernick. Better be on your ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    Well, I stand corrected. I guess Harbough will bench Smith for Kaepernick. Better be on your toes in San Francisco. Everyone's replaceable apparently.
    As a semi-casual outside observer, I've had the impression that Jim Harbaugh has wanted to replace Alex Smith the entire time he's been head coach. I suspect he might have done it last year with Kaepernick if the lockout hadn't wiped out the entire off-season program, and the 49ers were pretty serious insofar as sniffing around Peyton Manning this past off-season.

Personally, I interpret the substantial contract given to Alex Smith much the same way as the Jets' contract extension/guarantees given to Mark Sanchez this past year: "We'd much rather have Peyton Manning, so we hope to stave off any hurt feelings by papering them over with money. Gobs and gobs and gobs of money!"
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Lvl 6 - Silver

Well, I stand corrected. I guess Harbough will bench Smith for Kaepernick. Better be on your toes in San Francisco. Everyone's replaceable apparently.
    As a semi-casual outside observer, I've held the impression that Harbaugh wanted to replace of Alex Smith almost from the moment of his hiring. I felt that Kaepernick would have had a real shot at the starting job at the start of last year had the lockout not wiped out the entire off-season program (and in such a fashion that the 49ers weren't permitted to get Kaepernick even as much as a playbook). Add to that the 49ers being hot-and-heavy in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes this past off-season, and it just seems like Smith was never the franchise's first choice.

In addition, I view the new deal Smith signed this past off-season in a similar light as the Mark Sanchez extension/guarantees. That is, something along the lines of "We'd much rather have Peyton Manning as our QB, but we don't want you to cry and have hurt feelings. Would a pile of money paper over any lingering animosity? Such as a pile of money the size of a small office building?"

Lvl 6 - Silver

As a semi-casual outside observer, I've held the impression that Harbaugh wanted to replace of Alex Smith almost from the moment of his hiring. I felt that Kaepernick would have had a real shot at the starting job at the start of last year had the lockout not wiped out the entire off-season program (and in such a fashion that the 49ers weren't permitted to get Kaepernick even as much as a playbook). Add to that the 49ers being hot-and-heavy in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes this past off-season, and it just seems like Smith was never the franchise's first choice.

In addition, I view the new deal Smith signed this past off-season in a similar light as the Mark Sanchez extension/guarantees. That is, something along the lines of "We'd much rather have Peyton Manning as our QB, but we don't want you to cry and have hurt feelings. Would a pile of money paper over any lingering animosity? Such as a pile of money the size of a small office building?"

Lvl 6 - Silver

Other brief thoughts:

Are the Steelers this year's version of the 2011 Chicago Bears? That is to say, a team that looked like it was headed in the right direction until their QB got smeared and the backups proved themselves incapable of winning games? I have a bad feeling that Pittsburgh is going to rush Roethlisberger back next week against Baltimore, and that it means "Big Ben" is going to get himself killed (figuratively) by a Ravens defense smelling blood in the water and an opportunity to put their rivals away next Sunday.

Also, Seattle is a total and complete fraud. They're in a playoff position by virtue of poor officiating, and they've won exactly one game away from their home field. They might sneak into the playoffs when it's all said and done, but short of a hot finish to surpass San Francisco, I don't see how they possibly win a playoff game away from the Pacific Northwest.

Lvl 5 - Silver

SNF Game Notes

Giants get out of funk and beat Packers easily, bye did them well, i would then defiantly not want to let them get a bye in the playoffs if they play like this after the bye

Now looking ahead to MNF
    Last edited by jarethgeason; 11-27-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Other brief thoughts:

Are the Steelers this year's version of the 2011 Chicago Bears? That is to say, a team that looked like it was headed in the right direction until their QB got smeared and the backups proved themselves incapable of winning games? I have a bad feeling that Pittsburgh is going to rush Roethlisberger back next week against Baltimore, and that it means "Big Ben" is going to get himself killed (figuratively) by a Ravens defense smelling blood in the water and an opportunity to put their rivals away next Sunday.

Also, Seattle is a total and complete fraud. They're in a playoff position by virtue of poor officiating, and they've won exactly one game away from their home field. They might sneak into the playoffs when it's all said and done, but short of a hot finish to surpass San Francisco, I don't see how they possibly win a playoff game away from the Pacific Northwest.

Finally, it appears that Fireman Ed is calling it quits insofar as being the Jets' superfan.... and he's blaming the Tebow-ites for it (especially as Fireman Ed is an outsized Mark Sanchez supporter). It's a shame, moreso as the guy has been doing his shtick for as long as I'm alive and is still a relatively young man.... but that's life in professional sports these days.

Lvl 5 - Silver

MNF Game Notes

Cam and his Panthers show the form of last year as he throws 2 runs in 2 as they hand Eagles there 7 straight loss basically ending there playoff hopes and probably making this Reid's last season as coach

p.s only positive out of game for eagle's was play of Bryce Brown

Also congrats to Toronto Argonauts for winning the 100th Grey cup CFL title on Sunday
    Last edited by jarethgeason; 11-27-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Monica Rial #1 Fan

Well the Bears may have won, but at what cost? 5 different pretty significant players injured during the game. This will be an interesting week to see who will be healthy for this upcoming Sunday. One thing is for sure, Minnesota is definitely a pretender. They may have gotten off to a great start, but overall they are weak, especially at QB.

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by The Legend Killer View Post
    Well the Bears may have won, but at what cost? 5 different pretty significant players injured during the game. This will be an interesting week to see who will be healthy for this upcoming Sunday. One thing is for sure, Minnesota is definitely a pretender. They may have gotten off to a great start, but overall they are weak, especially at QB.

As it stands now, Forte is doubtful for Sunday, Tillman should be good to go, Louis is out for the rest of the year after cheap ass Allen had to take a bad shot...

The others I'm not sure about yet.

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

DON'T BLINK

Lvl 5 - Silver

Week 13 Tips

Saints over Falcons
    Patriots over Dolphins
    Bills over Jags
    Panthers over Chiefs
    Bears over Seahawks
    Packers over Vikings
    49ERS over Rams
    Texas over Titans
    Jets over Cardinals
    Colts over Lions
    Broncos over Bucs
    Bengals over Chargers
    Ravens over Steelers
    Raiders over Browns
    My Cowboys over Eagles
    Giants over Redskins

DON'T BLINK

Seriously? Cutler is fined $10k for flipping the ball? Fucking NFL.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...24574635786241

Here is what he was fined for....

Last edited by Koimia; 12-01-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Lvl 5 - Silver

TNF Game Notes (sorry for it being late)

Falcons do enough offensively to get win, defense terrific as they pick off Drew Brees 5 times and hold him to 0 passing tds ending his 54 game streak of a game with a passing td for Brees, For the Saints the loss now makes there playoff chances harder especially with games against the New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys at there homes

Now Looking ahead to watching This weekends action

Korean Girl Group Groupie

In totally off the field but NFL related news there are reports of an Unnamed Kansas City Chiefs player who has committed suicide somewhere on the Arrowhead Facilities, supposedly after killing his girlfriend. As it stands now, the NFL has told Carolina to take their flight to KC, and the game is going to go on as planned. Not a lot of information beyond those two statements, and no word on when the identity of the player will be released.

Sad news, and really going to put a damper on the weekend as reality puts things in perspective.

Edit: It appears it was Jovan Belcher who is the player involved
    Last edited by Rubicant81; 12-01-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: found out the name of the player.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    In totally off the field but NFL related news there are reports of an Unnamed Kansas City Chiefs player who has committed suicide somewhere on the Arrowhead Facilities, supposedly after killing his girlfriend. As it stands now, the NFL has told Carolina to take their flight to KC, and the game is going to go on as planned. Not a lot of information beyond those two statements, and no word on when the identity of the player will be released.

Sad news, and really going to put a damper on the weekend as reality puts things in perspective.

Edit: It appears it was Jovan Belcher who is the player involved
    Here's the story from ESPN.go.com:

Kansas City Chiefs Jovan Belcher kills girlfriend, commits suicide, police say - ESPN

Very sad day indeed. My heart goes out to both victims families and both the GM and the HC as they were right there when it happened. That sight alone is mentally scarring for them both. I hope the NFL reschedule's tomorrows game for the Chiefs.

Sinner and Saint

Just when the Chiefs season couldn't get much worse this had to happen. Sad times in KC. Condolocenes to the victims' families as well.

Picks for week 13: (I'm always late on picks, always forgetting about Thursday games, ugh)

Jacksonville over Buffalo
    Chicago over Seattle
    San Fran over St. Louis
    New England over Miami (Hope I'm wrong here)
    Jets over Arizona (though this could be a 0-0 overtime tie...)
    Detroit over Indy
    Green Bay over Minnesota
    Texans over Titans
    Panthers over Chiefs
    Denver over TB
    Oakland over Cleveland
    Cincy over San Diego
    Baltimore over Pittsburgh (hope I'm wrong here too)
    Dallas over Philly
    Giants over Redskins

Bold playoff prediction: Falcons and Texans both miss Superbowl.

Sig & Avy by the amazing: apokolypz : PPS Bar by: RaveNScythE18

The Warlord's Path to Platinum

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    Seriously? Cutler is fined $10k for flipping the ball? Fucking NFL.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...24574635786241

Here is what he was fined for....

As crazy as that was, it wasn't needed at all. Plus, he did it right in front of the Ref, so he had to throw the flag for unsportsmanlike conduct.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    I hope the NFL reschedule's tomorrows game for the Chiefs.
    The NFL is saying that the game will be played as scheduled. They could/should have atleast pushed it back until Monday night. Everyone on that team needs the time to deal with this news. I think it is a poor move by the NFL.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    As crazy as that was, it wasn't needed at all. Plus, he did it right in front of the Ref, so he had to throw the flag for unsportsmanlike conduct.
    Flag yes, and they got that. I get that. But really? $10k fine?

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    Flag yes, and they got that. I get that. But really? $10k fine?
    Sadly yes. Goodell's all about power and making examples of those who are going against his rules he's set in place. Crazy, but that's the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy2872 View Post
    The NFL is saying that the game will be played as scheduled. They could/should have atleast pushed it back until Monday night. Everyone on that team needs the time to deal with this news. I think it is a poor move by the NFL.
    I agree, make it a double-header at least. Makes no damn sense that he won't reschedule the game. I guess he's really all about money at this point.

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast