Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

The Official NFL 2012-13 Season Thread

This is a discussion on The Official NFL 2012-13 Season Thread within the Sports forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; how about them chefs...I swear they saw my post and decided to suck...

PRO Member

how about them chefs...I swear they saw my post and decided to suck

Monica Rial #1 Fan

It's pre-season, don't worry too much about it. My Bears may have won against the Giants, but the first teamers didn't look too good. Definitely still got a little work to do to get better against the better teams, but that's what the pre-season and early season are for.

My concern is for this bulls**t with the referees. They need to get the regulars back. These "replacements" are a freaking joke, and if they go into the regular season with these clowns I guarantee we're going to see at least a few instances of these morons blowing calls that cost teams games that actually counts. I'm sure the regulars have to be pretty happy to see these guys looking like amateurs out there, it's making them look all the better by comparison.

PRO Member

Completely agree about the refs Tommy. Good God these guys(and girl) are making shit calls then not calling blatant fouls. Ridiculous, can't wait to see how much of a shit storm week 1 will be.

On a side note, why even have the kickoffs anymore? Oh look another touchback! Kickers amazing! Just start them on the damn 20 or move it back where it was. Make 4th quarter the only quarter that does kickoffs(for onside attempts) lol, that would be interesting. Better than coming back from commercials for the to do a kickoff then guess what, we're going to take another break!
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 6 - Silver

The officiating will sort itself out when it does. The League has its hardline position, and the referees "union" has their hardline position, and ne'er the twain shall meet. It's really easy to blame the NFL for this problem, but it takes two to tango.... and the referees need to recognise that they aren't THAT wonderful.

From the very little bit of the preseason I've watched (mostly background noise when there's NOTHING else on television worth watching), the replacements aren't particularly good. At the same time, we've all been bitching about the regular guys for years. Is the difference between "bad" and "worse" really that much?

Quote Originally Posted by 00Highway00 View Post
    On a side note, why even have the kickoffs anymore? Oh look another touchback! Kickers amazing! Just start them on the damn 20 or move it back where it was. Make 4th quarter the only quarter that does kickoffs(for onside attempts) lol, that would be interesting. Better than coming back from commercials for the to do a kickoff then guess what, we're going to take another break!
    I suspect in a year or two that they won't exist anymore -- the whole "safety" kick the League is on, partially driven on by the "safety conscious public". And it will be a shame, because kickoffs are often exciting (even if they lend themselves to a lot of injuries) and because there won't be any room for onside kicks and other shenanigans anymore.

(If the "safety conscious public" really wanted everyone not to get hurt, why not outlaw sports and virtually everything else in this society in its entirety and just package everyone in copious amounts of bubble wrap?)

Im my opinion, there isn't room for a "hybrid" rule such as allowing kickoffs in the last few minutes and not otherwise. I don't think it's particularly fair to allow them at some times and not at others, even if that means it becomes significantly harder (or impossible) for teams who are trailing to come back.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Yay.. TE duo is ours forever.

Aaron Hernandez, Patriots agree to long-term deal - NFL.com

The New England Patriots and Pro Bowl tight end Aaron Hernandez have agreed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract extension that will keep the 22-year old in New England through 2018
    Gronkowski, also a Pro Bowl pick in 2011, signed a six-year, $54 million contract extension in June.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

If the pats keep Welker I see them having three TE's if they get rid of Welker then I see Aaron moving to WR. Other News the big names that got cut

Billy Cundiff ( I can See him get pick up really fast from another team)
    T.O He needs to retire and after showing the world how awful he is I can't see him go to a team
    Vince Young (He will be a Free Agent until a team needs a QB down the road)

I would kinda Like to see them do the opening kickoff because it's not football any other way, Then Return from halftime to give the other team a chance. Then fourth quarter. Don't get me wrong I don't think they should change anymore rules because nobody is making the players play. They can get a job like you and me. They get paid millions for a reason and half it is talent the other is to entertain the fans. If they get a injury it's not breaking news and it's not something that hasn't happen yet. I do feel bad for the peopple that die because of to much brain damage. That's what they sign up for. I am getting madden tonight at 12:01 and I have to admit that it will be kindof weird not seeing helmet to helmet.

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by The Legend Killer View Post
    It's pre-season, don't worry too much about it. My Bears may have won against the Giants, but the first teamers didn't look too good. Definitely still got a little work to do to get better against the better teams, but that's what the pre-season and early season are for.

My concern is for this bulls**t with the referees. They need to get the regulars back. These "replacements" are a freaking joke, and if they go into the regular season with these clowns I guarantee we're going to see at least a few instances of these morons blowing calls that cost teams games that actually counts. I'm sure the regulars have to be pretty happy to see these guys looking like amateurs out there, it's making them look all the better by comparison.

Did you see who Madden 13 picked for the Super Bowl teams this year? Here is a hint.. one is our Bears. O.o

Patriots and Bears top the NFL in Madden

According to the game, the New England Patriots will top the AFC with a 12-4 record, while the Chicago Bears will rule the NFC with the same win-loss ratio

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    Did you see who Madden 13 picked for the Super Bowl teams this year? Here is a hint.. one is our Bears. O.o

Patriots and Bears top the NFL in Madden
    lol.. Pat4Life.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    lol.. Pat4Life.
    I think (if true) this would be an awesome matchup.

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

Administrator

If no team does better than 12-4, I'll be surprised.
    I had a threesome last night, there were a couple of no shows but I still had a good time!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I've never thought Madden (or any other video game of choice) was a particularly good predictive tool or worth even paying attention to in that respect.

Madden is excellent at simulating things based on what has happened in the past, because most players are "rated" based on what they've already done. On the other hand, Madden is very poor at projecting players who will "come out of nowhere" or players who will "fall off a cliff" -- for example, they probably didn't think very much of Victor Cruz before last season.

Unless they've changed their algorithms, Madden isn't very good at accomodating the differences in coaching. All teams are coached "equally" by the CPU, even if it doesn't happen that way in "the real world". Madden can't account for Bill Belichek being hyper-aggressive, or for Norv Turner getting very little out of some of his guys, or super-conservative coaches and play-callers (e.g. _Boy Wonder, Offensive Coordinator Extraordinaire_ a.k.a. Brian Schottenheimer). Madden will seldom predict the "next revolution" in offensive and/or defensive schemes and would be caught completely unprepared for innovations such as the Wildcat.

In addition, some of Madden's ratings can be viewed as subjective. If someone with input into the process really dis/likes a particular player or team, that can be reflected in how "good" said guys are in the game.... and that could impact who wins or loses simulations.

Finally, I have an extraordinarily hard time believing the Lions aren't going to be a playoff team and perhaps even a division winner. Assuming they stay healthy (which isn't a miniscule thing with Matthew Stafford), they have a schedule tailor-made for their offense to score a TON of points: 10 games indoors, road dates at San Francisco-Arizona-Jacksonville (all good weather cities), and two of their three "potential bad weather and outdoor" road games (Philly and Chicago) are in mid-October before there's a real likelihood of nasty weather. The Lions are going to light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine.... sure, they might not be any better than the Rams were the year between their Super Bowls -- when they struggled to 8-8 because they committed approximately 391 turnovers that year -- but I believe they can score enough to win in spite of their defense if that side of the ball isn't pulling their weight.

Monica Rial #1 Fan

Yeah Madden can go screw itself. It's not going to predict jack s**t. In some other news that actually matters, word is that the players are fed up with these replacement referees, and are threatening a strike if the NFL doesn't get the regulars back on the field. I'm hoping the players stand behind this and get it done, because I've had enough of these guys who obviously know nothing of the NFL version of the rulebook.

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

I don't follow football too closely.. But living in new york all i hear non stop about is Sanchez/Tebow. For crying out loud I've heard more talk of Greg McElroy (the Jets 3rd string QB) than I have Eli, the defending SuperBowl MVP

And the 2nd most thing I've heard about is the fact that these referee's are horrible... The players should really step in and side with the Ref's... as like someone said above me, if it costs someone a game and perhaps a playoff berth, since these races are always tight... all hell will break loose.

Finally... how many games do you guys think MJD will play? And who is going to cave first, him or the Jags by either giving him what he wants or trading him?

Avy by DaRe_xLw Ta-Ta Bar by Beam

The Playboy Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by njdevil View Post
    I've never thought Madden (or any other video game of choice) was a particularly good predictive tool or worth even paying attention to in that respect.
    I know, right? I remember in last year's NHL season, they predicted it would be the Penguins vs the Blackhawks in the Finals. Both teams were ousted in the first round. So yeah, whenever someone uses a video game as a predictive choice, I usually don't pay much attention.

Panthers are looking pretty good. They play the Steelers in their last preseason game. They're currently 2-1, with wins over the Dolphins and Jets, but they lost to the Texans.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I suppose everyone who puts tremendous stock in preseason numbers and records is ready to tell the AFC East that they're the worst division in football and not allowed to send ANYONE to the playoffs. After all, this is a division whose teams went a combined 1-15 this preseason, so there can't be much of any hope for any of them.

(/sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by oogadebob View Post
    Finally... how many games do you guys think MJD will play? And who is going to cave first, him or the Jags by either giving him what he wants or trading him?
    He'll play six games, give-or-take. The Jaguars are not going to trade him short of a team offering Jacksonville the same sort of deal the Bengals got for Carson Palmer. The Jaguars are not going to re-do MJD's contract. They're just going to sit and wait for MJD to come crawling back and play under the contract he signed a few years ago.

(By "play", I mean he'll be in uniform for them. Nothing will oblige the Jaguars to actually put him on the field, but they can't "deactivate him" for very long under the rules that were set during the Terrell Owens/Philadelphia fiasco.)

As for MJD, he doesn't report until he absolutely has to. I don't know if there were any changes to this part in the new CBA, but the old one stipulated that a player had to report by Week 10 in order to get credit for a year of service time and to get a season knocked off his contract. Not having heard anything otherwise (and not being interested in researching the nuances of the CBA to be sure), I'll say the same applies here.

I know NFL contracts are largely non-guaranteed, and that Owners can cut Players at virtually any time without being "on the hook" for any more money. This situation tends to make me more sympathetic to NFL Players than to Players in any other sport -- I'm largely pro-League and pro-Owner in labor strife situations in professional sports. But this is a situation that always aggravates me and turns me against a player, when a guy with a valid contract in place holds out because he wants more money. No offense, kiddo, but you signed the deal of your own free will and you need to live up to it. Nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to take all the additional years.... if you thought you were going to be in a situation where you "outplayed your contract and deserve more money", perhaps you should have signed a shorter contract or a back-loaded contract or a contract with escalators and incentive bonuses in them. When a Player signs a front-loaded contract, he needs to shut up and play it out instead of whining and holding out as soon as he hits the "low tail" portion of the deal and seeking to get a fresh infusion of cash.

Cut-day..

Deion Branch, Brain Hoyer released by Patriots - NFL.com

Deion Branch, Brain Hoyer released by Patriots.
    Kinda surprised on Branch going, big plays or not Brady & him have chemistry, he's solid. I wonder why, It's like Bill is putting all the weight & faith on our TE duo, Welker & his shit for next year (maybe this means something actually but idk..), I know there is Loyd but he'd only be better w/ Branch on the other side.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story/0ap...P11_hot_topics

[top]2012 NFL Predictions: Super Bowl XLVII winner, MVP, more

Interesting cause I'm bored.
    It's a bit cut off, but from top to bottom, AFC Title, NFC Title, Superbowl Winners.. or you can just click the link. (predictions).

Last edited by Chaotically-Epic; 08-31-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

DELTA CUBES, DELTA CUBES!

Welp, MJD caved. Reported yesterday.

Avy by DaRe_xLw Ta-Ta Bar by Beam

The Playboy Wikipedia

Panthers finished with a 2-2 preseason record. Beat the Dolphins and the Jets, but lost to the Texans and Steelers. One was the difference between the Panthers and Steelers, as the Steelers won 17-16.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Closing this account

Great game this morning, I am glad I took a personal day to watch it. Kinda felt it was going to be a low scoring game with both teams going 3 and out to start off the game. Everytime Romo would scramble out the pocket was vintage Romo. He does look a little chucky from last year. Shutting down Cruz and Hicks made the Cowboys CB's earn their pay that game. All those bad calls were ridiculous.

PRO Member

How about them cowboys!Love the nfc east its just one big rivalry! good game just to note my boys did shut down the giants but in the no huddle Eli is a beast couldnt stop that one last drive they had. Refs did ok. Ill end with this though Ogletree??? lol
    Last edited by Tmac718; 09-06-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast