Gunning for Platinum?

This is a discussion on Gunning for Platinum? within the Star Ocean: The Last Hope International forum, part of the S; So as the title says who's currently going for the platinum for this game? I started it a few weeks ...

PRO Member

Gunning for Platinum?

So as the title says who's currently going for the platinum for this game?

I started it a few weeks ago and am already 75+ hours into it, have collected 18% of the over all trophies and know fine well that it'll take well over 250+ hours to platinum but I shall chip it away piece by piece.

Any fellow gamers have any tips or tricks to help a trophy hunter out?

Lvl 6 - Silver

Play the game through the first time for fun. Don't worry about the trophies, about the missables (there are a lot!), or much of anything else. Simply get a feel for the game, its pacing and progression, and enjoy the experience.

Only then should you go back and plan a thorough series of playthroughs for your trophies. You'll want a couple of checklists in front of you -- one for every treasure chest in the game would help, with room to jot down notes so you know when to go back for those chests you can't open when you first encounter them.

I'd also suggest having another game (or three) to play while you're doing your trophy hunting in Star Ocean. A lot of what you need to do falls under the general category of "doing a particular action one zillion times", and I doubt you'll want to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again without something to break up the tedium. Getting everything done -- even on the easiest difficulty to help things along -- is closer to a 500-600 hour task than a 250 hour task.

Beyond that... if you have specific questions regarding specific trophies or Battle Trophies and strategies to obtain the same, you're welcome to send me a private message at any time and I'll help where I can. I've gone through the process, myself, and I'd just as soon spare someone else some of the aggravation if it's within my power.

A plat a month!

I doubt I'll get the in this game.

PRO Member

I originaly played this back when I used the Xbox so my first enjoy the story playthrough has been done.
    I did focus on all chests, ship data, weapons and monster data, so far I've finished the game under 87 hours, got all the endings in one go , got all the ship data, unlocked all but a few item recipies, only memos left to collect. Finished almost all the standard quests leaving most shop quests to do and most are EN II ones anyway.

I've got a PS3 version chest list with the updated barriers and making sure that I grabbed every chest in the misable areas and now starting on the "easier" battle trophies. I have had a quick look over the battle trophies and some of them are quite boring.

I have quite a few games to pick up when the game does start to get boring so I'll see just how far I get with it

Lvl 4 - Silver

I have 97% of the trophies of this game, just one more for 100%. its really time consuming with very boring tasks to complete. I have played more than 400 hours by now and I need arround 100 more hours for the rest of the battle trophies

No Game No Life

Mine is sitting on 92%. 3 more trophies and I have the plat but I've put this game on hold for the mean time. I want to play upcoming awesome games
    My tip is that gather all the resources that you can gather and put it all into a folder then print all of it. The resources I printed was around 100+ pages. Complete guides of PA, Item list, Weapon List, Quests, Battle Trophies with tips, Item Creation etc.

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

Lvl 9 - Gold

When I finish up WKC2 and a few other quick plats. I'll be gunning for this plat. Time consuming is out of my dictionary .

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by RaveNScythE18 View Post
    My tip is that gather all the resources that you can gather and put it all into a folder then print all of it. The resources I printed was around 100+ pages. Complete guides of PA, Item list, Weapon List, Quests, Battle Trophies with tips, Item Creation etc.
    This is way, way, WAY too tedious and unnecessary. You're better off doing a handful of simple steps instead of having reams of research material handy:

* Print out a list of missables. This will include all the treasure chests in areas you can't re-visit, a small number of recipes, some shop requests that have an expiration, and one quest that I think has to be done within a small, specific window of time. Everything else you can go back and snag if you forget it.... I missed two treasure chests at one point, and while it took me several aggravating hours of retracing my steps to find them, they were there to be found.

* Before starting your Item Creation in earnest in the post-game, get the Duplicate skill. For a majority of components, it is far easier to duplicate them than to farm them.... and Magical Clay is easy enough to farm. There's no need to farm a dozen Gobbeldygooks when you can find one and Duplicate it a dozen times -- just make sure you leave one of a particular item in your inventory after an Item Creation session so you can duplicate it again if you need more.

* Know what items cannot be duplicated at all, and know how many of them you will need. This will be a very short list (IIRC, just the Feathers from the post-game bosses).... but knowing the number you'll need will aid in your planning, and not overdoing them will save your sanity (considering how difficult it is to get some of them).

* Regarding Battle Trophies, know which BTs "play nice" with one another. If you can make progress on several BTs at the same time, you'll save yourself a little bit of time. Not much, mind you.... but every little bit helps.

I played this entire game and my entire Platinum process with two pages of notes I compiled in a Word Processor and printed out (admittedly, 8-point type which I use for that sort of thing). On the backs of those pages I had two more pages of handwritten notes for other things that popped up while I played.

The obstacle to the platinum is the immense amount of time and dedication needed to get certain things done -- e.g. 30k kills with one character.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

PRO Member

I'm at about 85%. Need 15k more kills with Arumat and all of Faize BT, then just a few odds and ends besides beating the game two more times (easy part). Took me about 400 hours so far cause I kinda messed around alot to waste some time and I only used guides for missable stuff and annoying BT's.

Platinum #25: Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (Personal Favorite)
    Platinum #42 Mass Effect 3

Lvl 1 - Bronze

not sure if anyone else has seen or showed it anywhere else in here, but a helpful tip to speed up item creation would be stealing magical clay from the skelly enemies in the seven star dungeon, i got the link right here:

Star Ocean 4- Magical Clay Stealing - YouTube

this can be done with both myuria and meracle, but i think it's easier with myuria. i tend to have a better success rate with her. but meracle can get some BTs if you use her.

PRO Member

Finally after almost 11 months of playing this game... (Obviously some breaks to play other stuff) over 400 hours into the game... PLATINUM!

Platinum #25: Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (Personal Favorite)
    Platinum #42 Mass Effect 3

Lvl 1 - Bronze

God knows why I'm replying to a dead thread but im attempting it now. 100hrs in and still loving it, wonder when that will end lol. Anyone else trying out there?

No Game No Life

Me. I am taking a break though. I don't have a lot of free time to go for the platinum. 617/900 BTs to go. Maybe I'll just go for this platinum when I graduate from college.

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

xbox420

It's on my list to make as my 50th and simultaneous 3000th trophy. I know it's time consuming, but like others have said, take some breaks here and there if you get bored. Pretty fun so far though.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Aes Dana

Great game and i have put in about 150+ hours. The problem is that about 140 hours were played a few years ago and a YLOD wiped my save data, so i only have about 10 hours clocked up on a new save. The trophies i have already are from my first 140 hours. I am definitely going to get this plat but im in no rush to obtain it. The good thing is there are no online servers to worry about going offline, so i don't care if i get this plat next year or the year after.

PRO Member

Im getting really close to the 100% battle trophies im currently at 728/900 got edge 100% working on reimi bts now at 89%. I currently clocked in 348hrs, I hope to be done everyones bt except faize in a couple weeks or so maybe sooner

Lvl 3 - Bronze

My motivation died a while back. Would like to continue with it but I'm too far back. Made a lot of mistakes. Can't get the healing specific BT's. Doing my head in. So put the game aside. Might go back to it at some point. But just thinking about those BT's and the time I've already played puts me right off.

Hell, I can't even make ultimate gear lol.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm attempting this plat I'm already 80hrs in only got 45% of the battle trophies on it

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticSpark View Post
    I'm attempting this plat I'm already 80hrs in only got 45% of the battle trophies on it

I'm 120 hours in and barely broke 47% total trophies before I had to take a break and play something else
    Annoying PS3T.com members since March 2010