Want To Get A 50" Plasma, Please help.

This is a discussion on Want To Get A 50" Plasma, Please help. within the Technology forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; I've been seriously considering getting a new TV. I was going to wait for the 3D TV's that don't need ...

Hidefninja.com

Want To Get A 50" Plasma, Please help.

I've been seriously considering getting a new TV. I was going to wait for the 3D TV's that don't need the glasses, but they don't look to be coming out anytime soon. I can't fit anymore than a 50", so i'm looking at 50" plasma's, and this LG has gotten great reviews for the best 3D plasma's of 2012. Any thought or comments as to why i should or shouldn't get this one?:

Amazon.com: LG 50PM6700 50-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Active 3D Plasma HDTV: Electronics

I'd be adding a 4 year squaretrade warranty just incase, for an additional $116.

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Resident Deadhead

if you want it, then its a good purchase.

the price isnt bad, so if youve been looking at upgrading then there is no time like the present...

plus, the 4 year warranty seems like a solid decision
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Hidefninja.com

Ok well, the more i read on AVS forums, The LG i listed above is looking like the second best 50" plasma released this year. This Panasonic seems to be the cream of the crop, and i'm now considering it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...8146460&sr=1-3

Trophy Guide Grand Master

I have a 60" Panasonic Plasma that I bought last year and sitting side by side with the Sony Bravia LED it was almost equal in the picture quality for half the price and its fantastic...no complaints except I couldnt seem to get it to connect to the internet....I also read that Panasonic makes the best Plasma TVs when I was making my purchase...

Rangers F.C

Been told not to get plasma because its a dying technology , I would go for LED

Aes Dana

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Been told not to get plasma because its a dying technology , I would go for LED
    I have to agree. I have LED and it is the way to go

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I have to agree. I have LED and it is the way to go
    Had a few different TVs , LCD , Plasma and LED 3D and plasma is the worst by far and LED is far better .

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by sixteenvolt420 View Post
    Ok well, the more i read on AVS forums, The LG i listed above is looking like the second best 50" plasma released this year. This Panasonic seems to be the cream of the crop, and i'm now considering it as well.

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT50 50-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV: Televisions & Video
    You should go to the store and look at them with your own eyes

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Old thread, but still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Had a few different TVs , LCD , Plasma and LED 3D and plasma is the worst by far and LED is far better .
    Whichever is better depends entirely on the monitor in question.

My sister has a cheap LED tv, and the image quality is about the same as my brother's who-the-fuck-knows-how-old LCD tv, and both are far inferior to my mate's old plasma tv.
    The plasma is on par with my new LED pc monitor, both 3D and 2D.
    My sister's LED tv has appalling response. Tried Rock Band (ps3, hdmi cable direct to tv), and on my LED monitor and the plasma tv as well as the LCD tv, a 0/0 ms delay (picture/sound) has been standard. No issues hitting notes, sound wasn't out of place. With her LED tv, we had to go up to 80ms before it was tolerable, and we could hit stuff most of the time (bass/guitar).

I wouldn't get anything but LED if I got a new monitor/tv or recommending one to anyone, as they are generally far superior to anything else you can get from LCD and plasma. But a 250€ led tv generally has nothing on a 500€ plasma/lcd tv.

If you have a friend/acquaintance who knows these things, talk to them. Ask them what's good, and what you should avoid. Or post on a forum about choices you have, places you're shopping, price range etc. There's bound to be someone who knows about that stuff somewhere.

As a final note; don't ever ever ever take the salesman(or -woman)'s word for what's good. They want to sell everything they have, including (especially?) the lower quality stuff. The best thing you can do is read up on the tech and what you need it to do, before you go into the shop.
    There's been numerous times where I've asked the staff questions about a product, but none had an answer to (even a bad answer). It's become the rule, not the exception, that if I want to know something about a product a general electronics store holds, I have to read up on it beforehand. Because I know more than the people selling it. No joke.
    ...Or maybe it's just the people in Norway.

As a general note, stuff are usually cheap for a reason.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i have a 65" DLP TV that looks far better than any plasma i have ever seen, u have more image burn to wory bout from a plasma than a DLP, I would go that route if i were they r cheaper to fix, the newer ones only have 1 bulb. Believe me i play a shit ton and i have no image burn what so ever!

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Ahielia View Post
    Old thread, but still valid.

Whichever is better depends entirely on the monitor in question.

My sister has a cheap LED tv, and the image quality is about the same as my brother's who-the-fuck-knows-how-old LCD tv, and both are far inferior to my mate's old plasma tv.
    The plasma is on par with my new LED pc monitor, both 3D and 2D.
    My sister's LED tv has appalling response. Tried Rock Band (ps3, hdmi cable direct to tv), and on my LED monitor and the plasma tv as well as the LCD tv, a 0/0 ms delay (picture/sound) has been standard. No issues hitting notes, sound wasn't out of place. With her LED tv, we had to go up to 80ms before it was tolerable, and we could hit stuff most of the time (bass/guitar).

I wouldn't get anything but LED if I got a new monitor/tv or recommending one to anyone, as they are generally far superior to anything else you can get from LCD and plasma. But a 250€ led tv generally has nothing on a 500€ plasma/lcd tv.

If you have a friend/acquaintance who knows these things, talk to them. Ask them what's good, and what you should avoid. Or post on a forum about choices you have, places you're shopping, price range etc. There's bound to be someone who knows about that stuff somewhere.

As a final note; don't ever ever ever take the salesman(or -woman)'s word for what's good. They want to sell everything they have, including (especially?) the lower quality stuff. The best thing you can do is read up on the tech and what you need it to do, before you go into the shop.
    There's been numerous times where I've asked the staff questions about a product, but none had an answer to (even a bad answer). It's become the rule, not the exception, that if I want to know something about a product a general electronics store holds, I have to read up on it beforehand. Because I know more than the people selling it. No joke.
    ...Or maybe it's just the people in Norway.

As a general note, stuff are usually cheap for a reason.
    this thread is over 6 months old. why the hell bring it back from the dead? i'm sure the guy has bought a tv by now. there is no need to further comment in this thread. it should be closed

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    this thread is over 6 months old. why the hell bring it back from the dead? i'm sure the guy has bought a tv by now. there is no need to further comment in this thread. it should be closed
    Because others might be wondering.
    LCD and Plasma are still being sold.