Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

elgato Game Capture HD

This is a discussion on elgato Game Capture HD within the Technology forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; For the video capture nerds out there, elgato released the Game Capture HD on June 1 and it's generating a ...

illegal in 9 countries

elgato Game Capture HD

For the video capture nerds out there, elgato released the Game Capture HD on June 1 and it's generating a lot of buzz in the gaming world. With only a couple of in/out ports, it's apparently a piece of piss to setup and use.

Game Capture HD features HDMI pass-through for lag-free 360 and PS3 capture & gaming. It also works for iOS devices, PC to PC and TV recording. The HDMI signal on Xbox is unencrypted, so they can use the port direct. PS3's HDMI signal is encrypted so it uses A/V to HDMI conversion within the device.

Video is captured at 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i in H.264 format, ready to import into your favourite PC or Mac video editing software (or use elgato's editing software), or you can upload straight to YouTube or Facebook with one click. A neat feature is you can record at a different resolution than you're playing...for the 1080p sticklers out there.

Game Capture HD is powered by USB rather than a wall-socket, so keep a spare USB 2.0 port handy on your computer or use an external USB power supply. That's good news for Aussies - we can import these puppies about $50 cheaper than you'll find them locally and we don't need a US > AU power converter / adaptor.

I've taken a bullet for the team and bought one from Amazon for $179 USD to test the results. There was discussion about just such a device a month or so back here on the forums and I asked if and how HDMI pass-through was possible. Now we have the answer.

More info at Elgato Game Capture HD

Amazon link, check the user reviews - Amazon.com: Elgato Game Capture HD PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Recorder for Mac/PC

Gamespot review - http://au.gamespot.com/features/6379756/

Gamergeddon review - Elgato Game Capture HD review

An iOS review at WWDC: Elgato's Game Capture HD is Blowing My Mind Right Now | Touch Arcade

Note: when searching for reviews, don't confuse elgato Game Capture HD with Avermedia Game Capture HD, they're different products.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 06-20-2012 at 09:12 PM.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

NSFW

Did it say Mac? HALLELUJA!!! It's impossible to find a good video capturing device from the PS3 to Mac.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Suspended

$180? Nice! And you can even edit on it! Quesiton, though: does it's performance also depend on how crappy my laptop is ?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    $180? Nice! And you can even edit on it! Quesiton, though: does it's performance also depend on how crappy my laptop is ?
    Check the system specs on the Gamergeddon review (just added link). It's low-spec friendly for recording.

Recording and editing is done on the PC / Mac. Also worth noting is as long as it's plugged-in to your computer it'll record the last 30 minutes of gameplay, which is handy if you forget to press the big red button.

I'm importing mine from the US via Borderlinx as Amazon doesn't ship electronics direct to Oz. I'll have it in about 7 - 10 days and will post my thoughts and answer any specific questions at that time. Check out the FAQ too at www.gamecapture.com.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Check the system specs on the Gamergeddon review (just added link). It's low-spec friendly for recording.

Recording and editing is done on the PC / Mac. Also worth noting is as long as it's plugged-in to your computer it'll record the last 30 minutes of gameplay, which is handy if you forget to press the big red button.

I'm importing mine from the US via Borderlinx as Amazon doesn't ship electronics direct to Oz. I'll have it in about 7 - 10 days and will post my thoughts and answer any specific questions at that time. Check out the FAQ too at www.gamecapture.com.
    PC: Windows 7, 2.0 GHz dual core CPU, sound card
    Well, I guess I won't be buying this for the mean time .

illegal in 9 countries

It should still work in Vista, if not XP. Download the free software from Elgato Game Capture HD and try to install it.

Platinum Procrastinator

That's the same thing that I noticed. My laptop is fairly old now and is running 64 bit Vista so I don't know if it would work for sure. I'd love to be able to record HD videos for my games especially seeing as how I'd use them for my trophy guides but I don't want to run out and upgrade to Windows 7 or buy a new laptop.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    That's the same thing that I noticed. My laptop is fairly old now and is running 64 bit Vista so I don't know if it would work for sure. I'd love to be able to record HD videos for my games especially seeing as how I'd use them for my trophy guides but I don't want to run out and upgrade to Windows 7 or buy a new laptop.
    Mine is pretty dated, and I really need to upgrade for it even crashes sometimes. The idea is to upgrade to a gaming rig at some point or another, but I've yet to get the moneyz to actually buy a nice gaming laptop for a rather affordable price lol.

illegal in 9 countries

I've got old Vista and XP laptops lying around. I'll test it out and let you guys know.

Platinum Procrastinator

Mine is pretty dated, and I really need to upgrade for it even crashes sometimes. The idea is to upgrade to a gaming rig at some point or another, but I've yet to get the moneyz to actually buy a nice gaming laptop for a rather affordable price lol.
    Hahaha, gaming laptop and affordable doesn't belong in the same sentence. I paid $1700 for mine years ago and it was pretty much top of the line back then. Now I can't even play Starcraft II for more than an hour or so without it overheating...

I've got old Vista and XP laptops lying around. I'll test it out and let you guys know.
    Sounds good and hopefully it works.

INTJ

Products - AVerMedia 1080p Capture Card for Gameplay

^ records in 1080p and you can also record pc games without lag.

hell it can record anything with a hdmi cable.

and it's already out.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Products - AVerMedia 1080p Capture Card for Gameplay

^ records in 1080p and you can also record pc games without lag.

hell it can record anything with a hdmi cable.

and it's already out.
    Nice, however console games for the most part are 720p. YouTube is 720p. Ergo, 1080p isn't needed.

The 1080p video would need to be downscaled for the web which will cause fidelity loss compared to recording at native 720p resolution. So you're creating larger files and consuming more HDD space for no tangible benefit if your goal is to share your videos on the net.

It also requires a desktop PC...not a laptop, not a Mac, a PC with a spare PCI-Express slot. Therefore, it's targeted at PC gamers, not console gamers, nor laptop owners, nor Mac owners...it even says "PC games" in their marketing.

It's the same shit but a completely different bucket with the elgato product offering greater utility to a different target market. And as I said, you can play in 1080p while recording at web-friendly 720p, so there's no reason to complain about it.

Given both companies have products branded as "Game Capture HD" and they're in exactly the same business, I wouldn't be surprised if elgato has either bought & repackaged or co-developed their product with Avermedia.

INTJ

It also requires a desktop PC...not a laptop, not a Mac, a PC with a spare PCI-Express slot. Therefore, it's targeted at PC gamers, not console gamers, nor laptop owners, nor Mac owners...it even says "PC games" in their marketing.

it's actually targeted at streamers and pc gamers.

it can also use consoles too. they even say that in their tech specs page and their screenshots say it too (game platform is changeable).

not to mention you can record commentary at the same time while putting it on twitch tv or whatever shitty game/video site anyone uses to stream shit.

illegal in 9 countries

My Game Capture HD arrived today and as advertised was a piece of piss to setup and start capturing video.

I'll play around with it for a few days before posting my thoughts and some test vids from the PS3, 360, iPad and maybe PSP on YouTube. Wii might also be possible via component (or composite?!?) cable, not sure if i'll go there. Anyone know if the Vita supports video-out? I don't think it does...worth asking.

Damn if it doesn't add the cherry to the top of a badass gaming setup. I'll post a bunch of pics in a Trophy Checklist one of these days, it's fucking nuts!

Platinum Procrastinator

Remember us poor folk who still haven't upgraded to Windows 7 and test out XP and Vista for us lol. However, please don't do so if it means breaking the thing, otherwise I'll feel guilty but at the same time more educated.

illegal in 9 countries

Remember us poor folk who still haven't upgraded to Windows 7 and test out XP and Vista for us lol. However, please don't do so if it means breaking the thing, otherwise I'll feel guilty but at the same time more educated.
    I'll fire up Vista on a laptop

I played around for a couple of hours last night and so far so good. I have the PS3 setup so I can switch between HDMI and Component for the video, just in case I get the urge to play 3D via HDMI. Audio is piping out via Optical and Component simultaneously. I can alternately route audio from Component through a PC or Mac, out to a Logitech surround system, then back to my headphones if there are any issues capturing audio. My setup's nice and complicated, so I should have most bases covered.

A couple of test runs in Crysis produced expected results. I especially like the DVR-like time-delayed auto-record (that's a lot of dashes) which buffers the last hour or so of your gameplay. You can simply stop, rewind to the point you want to capture, then click record on the buffered video. Neato.

The video editor is uber-easy to use too with optional upload straight to YouTube.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I played around for a couple of hours last night and so far so good. I have the PS3 setup so I can switch between HDMI and Component for the video, just in case I get the urge to play 3D via HDMI. Audio is piping out via Optical and Component simultaneously. I can alternately route audio from Component through a PC or Mac, out to a Logitech surround system, then back to my headphones if there are any issues capturing audio. My setup's nice and complicated, so I should have most bases covered.

A couple of test runs in Crysis produced expected results. I especially like the DVR-like time-delayed auto-record (that's a lot of dashes) which buffers the last hour or so of your gameplay. You can simply stop, rewind to the point you want to capture, then click record on the buffered video. Neato.

The video editor is uber-easy to use too with optional upload straight to YouTube.
    Hey can you please test it out with Windows XP? Thankyou!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hey can you please test it out with Windows XP? Thankyou!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I have been looking into a capture card as well (a standalone one, not a pci slot one.. although they look to be the best, but I have a laptop)

I heard a lot of bad reviews of the elgato one you got when I started searching for one a couple weeks ago so I've never followed up with looking at them, but I've found that every capture card has bad reviews so it's probably gona do you fine..

But the one I have settled on is the AVerMedia AVerTV Global - TV Tuners, Media Player, IPTV and Multimedia Products - Game Capture HD Simply because it's got fairly positive reviews, you don't need a laptop hooked up (just a memory stick or hard drive), and it looks easy enough..

But yea that sucks you can't go straight hdmi cable out from ps3 to record on any of them

Let is know how yours works out.. and has anyone tried the avermedia one I linked? Good luck!!!!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJuggler View Post
    I have been looking into a capture card as well (a standalone one, not a pci slot one.. although they look to be the best, but I have a laptop)

I heard a lot of bad reviews of the elgato one you got when I started searching for one a couple weeks ago so I've never followed up with looking at them, but I've found that every capture card has bad reviews so it's probably gona do you fine..

But the one I have settled on is the AVerMedia AVerTV Global - TV Tuners, Media Player, IPTV and Multimedia Products - Game Capture HD Simply because it's got fairly positive reviews, you don't need a laptop hooked up (just a memory stick or hard drive), and it looks easy enough..

But yea that sucks you can't go straight hdmi cable out from ps3 to record on any of them

Let is know how yours works out.. and has anyone tried the avermedia one I linked? Good luck!!!!
    I haven't seen a single bad review for the elgato, in fact I've seen nothing but rave reviews. You may be confusing the Game Capture HD with the EyeTV which has variable reviews.

"…this is the most well-rounded consumer-level capture device on the market. The included software is straightforward yet robust, without sacrificing quality. It's only outshined by the compact and elegant hardware--a winning combo if there ever was one. It earns our recommendation as the best affordable HD capture solution on the market, hands down."
    The Dimunitive Game Capture HD From Elgato Destroys the Competition (Peter Brown, Video Game Reviews & News - GameSpot.com)

"I have to admit that it’s the best capture card I’ve used in a long time"
    "Quality is never lost when you can capture everything that is being pushed through the device to your television with zero lag."
    Elgato Game Capture HD Review (bloodypirat3, Xpgamesaves - Xbox 360 Modding - 360Revolution)

"The future of capturing game footage is here with the Elgato Game Capture HD." Rating: 9/10
    Elgato Game Capture HD (Gator, ESG – EvilSourceGaming)

"You need a Game Capture HD, yesterday. What used to take me hours now takes me minutes. I could just cry tears of sheer joy. Thank you, Elgato."
    WWDC: Elgato's Game Capture HD is Blowing My Mind Right Now (Eli Hodapp, Touch Arcade: iPhone Game Reviews and News)

"We really like the Elgato Game Capture HD. The device and software is simple (in a good way) and it does exactly what it sets out to do, enable you to record video from a game console or iOS device with the minimum hassle."
    Elgato Game Capture HD (Mark Hattersley, Apple, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Reviews, Help, Tips, and News | Macworld)
    Admittedly, they are the reviews posted on the elgato site so they're only going to post the good ones, but do a Google search for "elgato game capture HD review" and you'll find more of them same.

The Avermedia product is a solid alternative to elgato's, with the primary feature being it's "PC/Mac-free". But, it supports only component cables (not a problem here, elgato has the same limitation for PS3) and requires user interaction to record, view on-screen info etc, then you need to migrate the video across to PC/Mac to edit, upload to YT, yada yada yada.

elgato takes care of that by interfacing with your computer while you playing, which for me is perfect as my Mac sits beside my PC, 360 and PS3 screen (PS 3D Display) on a desktop. With the elgato you don't need to hit record, it buffers the last hour of play as long as the software is active which is a HUGE plus in it's favour.

elgato's HDMI passthrough allows recording from other devices, like PC to PC, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV, DVRs and smart HDTV's, so it has purpose beyond console gaming. Composite cables support capture from PSP and Wii, so it has broader capabilities within gaming. I also now have a way of transferring PlayTV footage and rental movies from the PS3 to computer, which is pretty handy.

Here's a decent overview of the elgato hardware and software.

The Avermedia is certainly attractive given the potential elgato XP/Vista software limitations (I'll explore that on the weekend). Having to hook up a PC/Mac to record may be problematic if you have an older PC or game from the couch. But the elgato is essentially plug in cables, fire up software, review, edit and upload when you're done. It records automatically, is completely idiot-proof and with no power supply and only three short cables to manage, it's hassle-free to setup.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 07-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast