Anyone knowledgable with wireless routers?

This is a discussion on Anyone knowledgable with wireless routers? within the Technology forum, part of the General Chit-Chat; I need to find out what the type of default security key is for my Netgear N600 wireless router. I ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Anyone knowledgable with wireless routers?

I need to find out what the type of default security key is for my Netgear N600 wireless router. I bought the router i believe 11 months ago, and was look at the Netgear website, as well as the Walmart website (where i bought the router from) and it doesn't seem to mention what the default security key type is.

I need to know because i'm trying to set up a connection to the wi-fi internet in my home via the wireless router to my new Nintendo 3DS XL, and it says the security settings are not supported by the 3DS XL. i believe I have a WPA key, though I'm not really sure (the WPA key comes up when i look at my network status on my PS3). if i do have a WPA key, i would need to know if its just a WPA or if its a WPA2, as well as if the sub-type is AES or TKIP.

Does anyone know how/where I can look this up, or if you have this router, what the default security key type was for you?

Lvl 5 - Silver

It could be many things, I know some devices don't support certain key types so it could be that. Another thing is that the key that its asking for is your routers password. Ask whoever set up your router.

Your device should automatically detect what kind of security key it is, all you have to do is type it in. Most routers don't come with a default key, they're usually unlocked. When you set up your router it usually generates a password for you (security key) and informs you to write it down.

I think that's what you're asking for if not then give me a little more info

★ Extra Astronomical ★

I have a N600 and it's set to WPA2-PSK [AES]. You can change it if you go into the router's settings, but I believe this one is the default option.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ihulk5 View Post
    I think that's what you're asking for if not then give me a little more info
    that's the router's password, and the key consists of letters from A to F and numbers 0-9, and is 10 or 26 characters in length. my router password is 17 characters, and has letters not included in the valid key range

Compatible Wireless Modes and Wireless Security Types
    Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL
    • Wireless Frequency: 2.4 GHz Frequency
    • Wireless Modes: 802.11b, 802.11g
    • Wireless Security Modes: WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP)
    this was taken directly off the Nintendo support website about what router security settings are supported. Pancake Model, if you and i have the same exact router, than this should be supported......... i may have to configure something on the genie app. Thanx