Difficulty = WTF!?

This is a discussion on Difficulty = WTF!? within the Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends forum, part of the T; I could use some input here from people who have played the game successfully. I bought this game from the ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Difficulty = WTF!?

I could use some input here from people who have played the game successfully.

I bought this game from the PS store recently because it was only $10 and I love racing games. I'm fine with the arcade/simulation meshing, as it reminds me of games like NFS Shift and GT. My main problem right now is with the difficulty, because it seems like it's spiked all the way at the top. Of the three eras, I chose to start with the modern era. Overall I played the game for close to an hour and couldn't even pass the first event! I know in order to earn all points you have to complete every race and earn its main objective on hard, so that's what I was trying. After getting frustrated, I tried switching the difficulty to easy just for comparisons sake. No dice. Supposed to pass all cars in 3 laps and the best I managed was 3rd place.

Am I missing something with this game? I noticed there are a lot of sliders in the controller configurations menu, but those generally pertain to people playing the game with a wheel (which I'm not) so I didn't touch those. This is really irritating for me because I consider myself very good at racing games of all types (hell, look at my platinums and you'll see how many are racing games), even ones that are poorly designed (cough, Anarchy: Rush Hour, cough), but this game leaves me scratching my head. If it's just a matter of practice, fine, I can deal with that. If, however, I am missing something, then I would greatly appreciate any input.

Click here for my platinum checklist
    and trophy guides

Lvl 4 - Silver

Okay, so after playing the game a bit more, it seems adjusting the Driver Skill level in the options menu helps a great deal. I had it set on easy, which resulted in my car automatically braking for me and wouldn't accelerate no matter how hard I held the accelerator down. It seems like this would be an optimal setting if you want to get used to a track. I then switched it to normal and noticed a world of difference. The car would brake somewhat, but the majority of it was left to me, which meant if I needed to brake a little later in order to pass a car I could. There's also a professional setting, but I doubt I'll use it, although it would seem like it would remove your cars ABS and any form of traction control. This game is already frustrating as it is, and I'm not going to make it worse with professional.

Click here for my platinum checklist
    and trophy guides