Course Mastery

This is a discussion on Course Mastery within the Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 forum, part of the T; So, I just thought I'd take a little time to talk about this Course Mastery setup. I'm quite honestly not ...

PRO Member

Course Mastery

So, I just thought I'd take a little time to talk about this Course Mastery setup.

I'm quite honestly not sure how I feel about it yet (specifically regarding the downloadable courses). On the one hand, it's free*, but on the other, the method by which coins are attained and we can actually do what needs to be done to get all the coins to actually play can be grindy. Not quite sure how I feel about the rental status of the links, either.

As I'm typing this, there's a deal for 6 rounds at Waialae Country Club for the coin price of 3 rounds (ends 4/4). I advise you get it, immediately. The pin packs are a joke; you need to use all your coins on courses first and foremost, or you'll get suckered into buying coins for real-cash if you don't want to grind it out.

♠ It takes at the minimum 6 rounds to Master any course, because you need 100 pars or better for one gold Mastery requirement, and 6 18 hole rounds nets you 108 holes.

♠ There is a for Mastering 16 courses.

♠ Downloadable courses are NOT stored on disc, save the name and requirements. Waialae was 155MB.

♠ You don't technically need any DLC courses for the Mastering, since there are 16 on-disc, but that leaves you with no options.

Here's why I'm not entirely sure whether or not I'm a fan of the system:

On the plus side, it's free if you do it right, but "doing it right" involves a lot of grinding. Granted, we have to grind through 7 years of career mode in order to get the for 7 Masters Career wins, but that should also get us to where we need to be for the Course Masteries for the on-disc courses. AND the courses added on are not on the disc, so you're actually getting free DLC.

On the minus side, though, it heavily punishes sub-optimal play. Can't get your 5 eagles required for the gold at Highlands (which is one of my personal favorite DLC courses, because it's challenging) in the first 6 rounds when you're doing everything else? Sorry. Grind out some more coins so you can try again. You're basically sitting on dead DLC you can't use until you use more coins. And here's the biggest pain of it all: It takes 6 rounds to Master a course, a 3 round pack costs 12000 Coins, and an Unlimited round pack costs 18000 Coins. If you're doing this where you're going after the 6 rounder for normal cost, it's going to run you 24000 Coins!! That's an Unlimited pack for that course AND 6000 toward the next. That's kinda messed up.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else wants to chime in on this.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This is why i did the legacys first, i have around 30k coins now in the bank and alot of the courses that are on the legacy count towards mastery, althoughthey are on 3-11 holes.

For example i did the amen corner trophy before i even played the course, there is a 3 hole challenge with them all on, i since started my career and won the green jacket at the full augusta course and when i finished i had silver mastery and only need a few pars or better for gold. The pars fairways, eagles etc all count although you only play a few holes of augusta on the challenges, and they carry over when you restart, i am at silver on most courses now and have only played a couple of rounds in the career mode.

By the time i finish a few seasons i will have enough coins left to touch up what i need i would think as i dont see me spending anytime soon as i also have loads of pins and refills from the legacy mode.

PRO Member

Yeah, I'm finding myself going a bit in the other direction and tackling career mode stuff early, and only using the XP Boost pin on 18 hole rounds, using my refills to add more to the XP Boost.

I'm up to 3 Mastered courses on this end, but I see that number rising quickly through career.

Still doesn't really hit the issue that the DLC courses are a pain. I think I'm just going to stockpile coins for the ones I want, so I can rock the 18K coin price for unlimited rounds there.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Ya thats what im doing as well there are a few that i would like to play banff springs is one of them i have played that course last summer a few times and love it. But im just crusin through career mode and hope that works. I hate the DLC course and think its stupid the way they make us pay for half the courses it should all come with the 59.99 we spend every year on the game in my opinion.

PRO Member

Technically, you don't actually have to pay anything past the original game's price. They have you on a caveat such that you can stockpile coins earned in-game and use those to eventually unlock all DLC without paying a dime.

Paying for coin packs and the like, though, simply expedites the process, because they're not charging for content, but convenience.

Also, as mentioned before, you did pay for all content actually on the disc. All the extra courses are true DLC, with 100+MB installs.

And yeah, I'd be more a fan if they gave us more on the disc (we have blu-rays, fill 'em!), but at the same time, I understand why they don't. The 360 lost the format war and didn't go blu-ray, so a chock-full blu-ray game for us would be 2-3 DVDs for them. See: FF13, among others.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

its the same every year with this ea tiger woods you always have to buy extra to get on with game ive already spent 15 quid on coin package trying to get more xp even with the x5 xp its going to take months to get player built up im on gold xp x10 now keep xp for the 1 round at season mode usally get between10 and 15000 xp a round still annoying.
    as for downloadable courses thats a joke i would just rather buy packages like last year wich was cheaper and wont take me an eternity.im just going to get player built up store coins and aftera while the round prices will probably be halved.i live in HOPE.
    PS still a good game though and hopefully now keep out the cheaters a bit.