Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

ant1th3s1s' things that go "ding!" in the night...

This is a discussion on ant1th3s1s' things that go "ding!" in the night... within the Trophy Checklists forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s The key to the Heavy Fire games is they felt right on the money with the ...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The key to the Heavy Fire games is they felt right on the money with the Move controls, the Sharp Shooter in particular. If the gameplay feels good, everything else kinda fades into the periphery.

By contrast, I just popped Cabela's Survival: Shadows of Katmai into the PS3 and the Move controls are complete shit. It's in the same budget-title echelon as Heavy Fire, but my opinion of it is at the opposite end of the spectrum because it feels all wrong. I'd rather fling the disc into the sun than play Shadows of Katmai again.
    That sounds like every Cabela game out there, so I'm not really surprised it felt all wrong and was absolute shite.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That sounds like every Cabela game out there, so I'm not really surprised it felt all wrong and was absolute shite.
    I've never liked any previous Cabela game, so expectations were very low. Shadows of Katmai was different enough to give it a chance, but the poor controls were a let-down. I guess I'll add it to my hidden list of zero trophies achieved games, never to see daylight again.

illegal in 9 countries

Work is smashing me at the moment, but I managed to poop out another Plat this week...

#67 - South Park: The Stick of Truth Platinum Trophy for South Park: The Stick of Truth

Normally I wait until games are well and truly in the bargain bin before buying, but South Park: The Stick of Truth was too tempting to pass up. That said, I picked it up for about $25 USD, which is 3 to 4 times cheaper than its current RRP here in Oz.

We all know what to expect from South Park in terms of visual style, dialogue & story and the game delivers in spades. What I didn't expect was a solid little RPG, though it was shorter and easier than expected. At first sight the collectible trophies looked like a ball-ache, but with some minor exploration and a couple of strategic save points, almost nothing is missable.

To make The Stick of Truth as easy as possible, choose a Jew (to avoid a 2nd playthrough) and beef up the Circum-scythe and Plagues of Egypt abilities. Gear ultimately proves next to useless, but wearing the SWAT Headgear (attack again when an enemy dies) and any 2-slot Armor with Life Drain and Healing Surge badges (HP and PP both max out every turn) in combination with Plagues of Egypt and Bleeding stacks turned the game into a cakewalk. Not that it's a difficult game anyway, but cleaning up combat within a round or two with zero risk eliminates some of the mid to late-game repetition.

==============

Anarchy Master and Team Player are also done and dusted in Bulletstorm, which clears the path to another Plat without the time pressure of an impending server closure.

Though I don't really like the game, I might see how much of the Midnight Club online I can knock out before its server closes

Banned

Congrats for South Park plat, I have Bulletstorm, I'm still working on that game before its server gets shut down.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryAbel210 View Post
    Congrats for South Park plat, I have Bulletstorm, I'm still working on that game before its server gets shut down.
    Thanks Abel.

I had a lot of trouble with Bulletstorm, particularly when attempting to level up for Final Echo. The servers reset my level twice - once at level 40 (or so) and again, just after I hit level 65 and got the trophy :phew:.

I also had server connection problems, which made Anarchy Master difficult due to a good half-second lag. I had to do everything a fart before I wanted to, which made the timing of team kills much more difficult.

Other than that, Bulletstorm is a great game and well worth playing, regardless of trophies. Good luck with it, I'm sure server connections in the US are far better than Australia.

Banned

Thanks Abel.

I had a lot of trouble with Bulletstorm, particularly when attempting to level up for Final Echo. The servers reset my level twice - once at level 40 (or so) and again, just after I hit level 65 and got the trophy :phew:.

I also had server connection problems, which made Anarchy Master difficult due to a good half-second lag. I had to do everything a fart before I wanted to, which made the timing of team kills much more difficult.

Other than that, Bulletstorm is a great game and well worth playing, regardless of trophies. Good luck with it, I'm sure server connections in the US are far better than Australia.
    You're welcome.

Oh, really? That's good news about you leveled up to 65.

What kind of your router that you had connection problem?

Well, that game seems okay for fun and single player trophies. Ahem. Don't say that luck to me because it won't help me and change into bad luck. I don't know if you are correct about US is far better than Australia, on the other hand, some gamers probably own some bad routers with poor connections, you know.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryAbel210 View Post
    You're welcome.

Oh, really? That's good news about you leveled up to 65.

What kind of your router that you had connection problem?

Well, that game seems okay for fun and single player trophies. Ahem. Don't say that luck to me because it won't help me and change into bad luck. I don't know if you are correct about US is far better than Australia, on the other hand, some gamers probably own some bad routers with poor connections, you know.
    It's the dodgy Bulletstorm servers, not users' internet connections or routers - MP stats are stored server-side. The servers will randomly lose the levels you've gained if you disconnect from MP, then reconnect at a later time / date. I had to stay connected to the MP lobby in Bulletstorm the whole time to ensure my levels weren't lost.

Because the Bulletstorm servers are in the US, the closer you are, the less latency you'll experience while connecting to MP. Every Aussie I played with had the same slow connection issue.

And trust me, you'll need a little luck to make it to level 65 without the server bombing you back to level 1. Stay connected and you won't need any, but if you disconnect, you're rolling the dice on a reset. Check out the previous page (or two) in this thread - I've added a couple of videos to speed up the grind. If you've got the Gun Sonata DLC, it's pretty quick and easy.

PRO Member

Congrats on the SP Platinum

illegal in 9 countries

Telltale has taken interactive storytelling to the next level. Allow me to introduce...the silent film!

This bug was triggered by a missed dialogue prompt during one of the game's seemingly infinite hangs, which caused the Chapter script to crash and left Bigby and Co. just standing around looking at each other until I quit to XMB.

On restart, I hit Continue and the above scene played out in full non-interactive glory. No dialogue, no voice acting, no mouth animation...nothing...but the game was still playable. For a game about choice and consequence, it was refreshing to have those options taken out of my hands!

I still have the Save, I'll see if I can take a video next time.

Kiwi Defender

TWAU confirmed for greatest game ever?

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Long time. No update. Shit happens.

I thought I'd share a few quick thoughts on Skylanders Trap Team, if anyone is on the fence about buying the game.

There are 7 Skylanders per element, for a total of 56, not including the limited Dark Edition skins. All up, it's not a bad mix with only a few rehashes this time around. 16 of those Skylanders are Trap Masters, which are more or less the equivalent of Giants and to a lesser extend, the cooler swappable Swap Force. Another 16 are minis, which were more or less pets in the previous games, but in Trap Team, they're playable characters. They seem a little undercooked, but the kids love'em, so no problem there. Existing minis also work in-game, which saves a few bucks if you already own them.

In addition to the good guys, there are 40 or so baddies you can trap and play. I was a little confused about how this would work, thanks largely to deceptive marketing & product packaging, which 'encourages' you to buy as many traps as there are Villains to catch. However, only 1 trap is needed per element, assuming you want to catch them all. Villains are permanently captured & sent to jail and you can swap between them by assigning one Villain per elemental trap between levels. It's still milking the cash cow - I had to buy an extra 6 traps @ $6 a pop for a full set - but not anywhere near as much as expected.

On the downside, the game plays more like Spyro's Adventure or Giants than Swap Force, which could be interpreted as a step backwards as it feels a bit lightweight. The previous games ramped up the experience with a gentle learning curve for the kids, e.g. adding the jump mechanic to Swap Force. Swap Force added a tonne of replay value with Survival Arenas, Time Attack, Score Mode and Swap Force character mini-games, but Trap Team plateaus and doesn't really progress the experience and generally comes across as a smaller, weaker game. But it looks good, controls well, is polished and fun to play with my kids...which is the whole point.

The traps are kinda kewl and the speaker on the portal for trapped Villains is neat, but they don't really add to the gameplay as much as expected. In fact, they're a bit pointless as most are crap to use, only possess a couple of moves, have a usage timer and don't level up. Good idea, but not quite the execution I hoped for given it's the central theme of the game. That said, playing as the Chompy Mage or Kaos adds a fun twist.

A word of warning to Aussies - we get Trap Team a few days ahead of the US, so while trophies pop in-game, they don't appear in Trophies and won't sync to the PSN. Apparently that's to "prevent spoilers", according to Activision's Facebook support page, but annoying nonetheless given Oct 2 is the street date here.

That's a bit too much shit to eat from a billion dollar franchise on top of AU/NZ PS4 buyers of Swap Force being unable to get the Platinum thanks to broken servers. I'm importing a copy from the UK to pop the stupid fucking online trophy and if it works, will sell the game to a fellow Aussie if you want the plat (or maybe pop the affected trophy for you if you trust me enough).
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 10-03-2014 at 03:08 AM.

Platinum Procrastinator

Well its nice to see you have another great game to enjoy with your kids. However it sucks that you have to get the UK version to hopefully pop the plat.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Well its nice to see you have another great game to enjoy with your kids. However it sucks that you have to get the UK version to hopefully pop the plat.
    Despite a couple of technical flaws in the last two games (and the monumental cost of buying all the toys...I'm a massive sucker and my kids know it), Skylanders has been the perfect introduction to gaming for children aged around 3 years old. There's still a bit of a challenge to be had to snag the Plats, but Skylanders is cruisy on lower difficulties and the franchise does a great job of easing kids into both gamepad controls and co-op gaming.

My boy has blossomed over the last two years that he's been playing Skylanders and he has no trouble completing the games by himself, with the exception of one or two of the tougher puzzles. I was a bit surprised the other day to see he got to the third last level of Swap Force on Wii U before asking for help to get through a jumping sequence. The last two levels are a doddle, so he's completed the game with about 30 secs of my help.

I'm a proud gaming Dad and I've been only too happy to blow my dough on the bazillion Skylanders toys to have a common interest with my children. Besides...Skylanders come to life and cost the same as toys that do sweet fuck all, so it's pretty easy to understand why kids want them.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 10-04-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Platinum Procrastinator

Despite a couple of technical flaws in the last two games (and the monumental cost of buying all the toys...I'm a massive sucker and my kids know it), Skylanders has been the perfect introduction to gaming for children aged around 3 years old. There's still a bit of a challenge to be had to snag the Plats, but Skylanders is cruisy on lower difficulties and the franchise does a great job of easing kids into both gamepad controls and co-op gaming.

My boy has blossomed over the last two years that he's been playing Skylanders and he has no trouble completing the games by himself, with the exception of one or two of the tougher puzzles. I was a bit surprised the other day to see he got to the third last level of Swap Force on Wii U before asking for help to get through a jumping sequence. The last two levels are a doddle, so he's completed the game with about 30 secs of my help.

I'm a proud gaming Dad and I've been only happy to blow my dough on the bazillion Skylanders toys to have a common interest with my children. Besides...Skylanders come to life and cost the same as toys that do sweet fuck all, so it's pretty easy to understand why kids want them.
    That's awesome. I don't have any kids yet but when/if I do, I plan on being like yourself and intend on sharing my love of video games with them by playing age appropriate ones together. Also, in related news, this past week there have been two people on Facebook, a friend and a cousin who've posted a picture of them playing Super Mario on the NES with their son and the other one was Duck Hunt when they broke out the NES Zapper with their son as well. It brought a huge smile to my face and I thought that's parenting done right.

illegal in 9 countries

Plat update...it's been awhile.

#68 - Dead Echo for Bulletstorm
    #69 - Unreal! for Unreal Tournament 3
    #70 - Full Moon for The Wolf Among Us
    #71 - Platinum for UFC 2009 Undisputed
    #72 - Awarded All Trophies for Minecraft PS3 Edition
    #73 - Awarded All Trophies for Minecraft PS4 Edition

I'm still on-track for my end of year goal of 75 Plats (2 to go), 5000 trophies (99 to go) and level 25 (done) at +50% completion rate (done). All up...not terrible progress and a few good notches on the belt, but certainly slower than it could have been given the strong start to the year.

With a bunch of servers closing in May and June, Plats took a backseat to grinding out shitty online trophies. Coupled with a brutal workload for 5 months now and I haven't been able to get the mojo back.

Aside from the impending birth of child #4 next week, life will slow considerably heading into Summer Down Under, which will free me up to knock out a handful of Plats and with any luck (I'll need it...), I'll have time to rebuild the Checklist before New Year's.

Kiwi Defender

Gratz on finally getting UT3's plat. That's something I kind of always wanted to tackle, but couldn't be arsed - much less after playing it for hours already lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Beast Incarnate

Congrats on your latest plats man

Platinum Procrastinator

Congrats on all of the new plats, but more importantly, on the soon to be baby number four! For someone with such a busy work/family life, you certainly have done well this year in terms of trophy goals.

Local Drunk

You've done quite well with regards to getting all those plats while being insanely busy. Baby number 4 hey? Glutton for punishment

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    You've done quite well with regards to getting all those plats while being insanely busy. Baby number 4 hey? Glutton for punishment
    Kids are fucking awesome and don't you forget it buster.

Jumping back a few posts, I can confirm for fellow long-suffering Aussies that the Newsworthy trophy in the PS4 edition of Skylanders Swap Force can be popped by importing the UK version. Not an ideal solution, but it works and the game is now relatively cheap. That and it's currently our only option

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast