Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

ant1th3s1s' things that go "ding!" in the night...

This is a discussion on ant1th3s1s' things that go "ding!" in the night... within the Trophy Checklists forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Looking good man. Nice set up. You make me so jelly with all that shit....

PRO Member

Looking good man. Nice set up. You make me so jelly with all that shit.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Synthwave <3

Your setup makes me drool. You have got to be one of the coolest gamer nerds out there (and I mean that only as a compliment!). Btw, when will LBP, LBP 2 or LBPV debut on your checklist? I noticed you have a lot of LBP backgrounds but didn't see anything about it on your checklist.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

illegal in 9 countries

Second PS3 to YLoD tonight - the Fat 80 died this time.

It was completely out of the blue and right in the middle of uploading my Classic Ironman save for X-COM to PS+. I'm religious about backing up saves so the timing couldn't have been worse...it's a long, tough trophy to snag. Fortunately my X-COM profile data is on PS+, so the 3 completed runs are saved.

Backup your game saves...YLoD on a Fatty can happen to anyone at anytime.

PRO Member

Yep those YLOD's get you when you least expect it..rather unlucky brake there man.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Second PS3 to YLoD tonight - the Fat 80 died this time.

It was completely out of the blue and right in the middle of uploading my Classic Ironman save for X-COM to PS+. I'm religious about backing up saves so the timing couldn't have been worse...it's a long, tough trophy to snag. Fortunately my X-COM profile data is on PS+, so the 3 completed runs are saved.

I feel you, man. At least my one and only Slim is still going strong after 2-3 years. I will just have to up my kiss ratio to my PS3 every day, to keep her happy (and also clean her dust off). I assume you already have a Slim or not yet? =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by cocoasg View Post
    I feel you, man. At least my one and only Slim is still going strong after 2-3 years. I will just have to up my kiss ratio to my PS3 every day, to keep her happy (and also clean her dust off). I assume you already have a Slim or not yet? =3
    Yeah I've got two Slims already to cover this scenario, in addition to the two older Fatties. One of the Slims will be delegated to "workhorse" duties instead.

My launch Fat 60 was reconditioned by Sony in 2010 and is still operational, but has been relegated to media player duties. I'll possibly get the Fat 80 reballed and put it out to pasture too, but that's about $200 and I can buy a second-hand Slim for that with much less risk of it dying longer-term. Or I might just get a reflow for $100, get my saves and run the risk of it dying again. Or maybe do nothing and just replay the 20 hours I've lost on the X:COM C/I run.

A bit pissed about the X:COM save game - it was only 192KB in size and the upload failed, which wiped out my PS+ copy. It's no big deal, everything else is safely backed up.

PRO Member

Damn. Sorry to hear about your YLOD, Ant1. I suffered one in June and I even attempted to fix it myself...unsuccessful though I have no idea what I did wrong. Seeing as you have tons of systems, I'm sure you're off just fine

Sucks about the save though. Luckily it was only 20 and not 100.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Oh man, your CL is amazing. Its refreshing to see a change of pace. I'm still drooly over your gaming set-up and the collection

Sorry to hear about the YLODs, but looks like you got yourself covered in case of an emergency

+Rep for the CL, really really cool :thumbsup

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

YLOD's do suck ass royally man. I also have a recon 60 GB fatty from Sony from a previous YLOD. When my Ps3 gave me that lovely light, It had FF13 stuck in and it would not give it back. So, armed with a 3 part you tube vid and the necessary equipment, I set about bringing it back to life, just to retrieve the game and it worked . You sound like you have it covered though man

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by User011010 View Post
    Oh man, your CL is amazing. Its refreshing to see a change of pace. I'm still drooly over your gaming set-up and the collection

Sorry to hear about the YLODs, but looks like you got yourself covered in case of an emergency

+Rep for the CL, really really cool
    Thanks. It was fun to put together, but it's a bit behind what I planned it to be. I haven't had much time, but that'll change heading into Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    YLOD's do suck ass royally man. I also have a recon 60 GB fatty from Sony from a previous YLOD. When my Ps3 gave me that lovely light, It had FF13 stuck in and it would not give it back. So, armed with a 3 part you tube vid and the necessary equipment, I set about bringing it back to life, just to retrieve the game and it worked . You sound like you have it covered though man
    I managed to get my X:COM disc out of this one, whereas the previous one dropped dead straight away and kept the disc.

It was a weird build-up over an hour, I didn't even realise it was yellow-lighting until the final reboot. PS3s don't seem to like warmer weather here in Oz, so it was noisier than normal but nothing unusual for this time of year.

X:COM has forced repeated reboots since I bought the game, so I figured it was business as usual and it even allowed me to run a couple of missions before dying on the save upload.

Anyway...I'm not doing this to whinge, I expect all Fatties to go at some point in time thanks to their lead-free solder. It's just a reminder to the community that YLoD can and will strike down a Fatboy at any time, so be prepared.

Thank Sony for PS+ is all I can say!

Kiwi Defender

I feel your loss, Ant1. Times two, to be exact.

Yeah, about that? Can't really do it . Not to mention I love that fatass PlayStation 3 so much that I'll just keep getting it fixed over and over and over and over.... and over again. I just can't help but wonder when I won't be able to anymore and all that save data will go to Oblivion .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I feel your loss, Ant1. Times two, to be exact.

Yeah, about that? Can't really do it . Not to mention I love that fatass PlayStation 3 so much that I'll just keep getting it fixed over and over and over and over.... and over again. I just can't help but wonder when I won't be able to anymore and all that save data will go to Oblivion .
    Are you reflowing it every time? It sounds like you've done a decent job of it if it's only died twice.

A reball should sort it out permanently (as much as it can be permanent) by replacing the lead-free solder with leaded solder (like in the Slims), but it's pretty expensive and not without risk.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the various PS3 YLoD repair methods and risks - Brisbane PS3 Repair - Pastebin.com

I lost hundreds of hours of saves first time around, I'm glad I planned for it this time...it's a huge kick in the nuts to lose your saves. $50 a year for PS+ is the best insurance policy you can buy for your PS3, especially now they've bumped Online Storage to 1GB.

I've lost my attachment to the Fatties, the Slims are proving to be more reliable. Everyone I know who owns a Fat has had hardware failure. I'm thinking of repairing the Fat 80 and selling it and might do the same with the launch 60 while it still holds decent value. As soon as the PS4 hits the market, they'll be all but worthless.

Kiwi Defender

Are you reflowing it every time? It sounds like you've done a decent job of it if it's only died twice.

A reball should sort it out permanently (as much as it can be permanent) by replacing the lead-free solder with leaded solder (like in the Slims), but it's pretty expensive and not without risk.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the various PS3 YLoD repair methods and risks - Brisbane PS3 Repair - Pastebin.com

I lost hundreds of hours of saves first time around, I'm glad I planned for it this time...it's a huge kick in the nuts to lose your saves. $50 a year for PS+ is the best insurance policy you can buy for your PS3, especially now they've bumped Online Storage to 1GB.

I've lost my attachment to the Fatties, the Slims are proving to be more reliable. Everyone I know who owns a Fat has had hardware failure. I'm thinking of repairing the Fat 80 and selling it and might do the same with the launch 60 while it still holds decent value. As soon as the PS4 hits the market, they'll be all but worthless.
    I haven't fixed them myself. The first time it happened (a year ago), I took it to the same guy who told me my blu-ray laser had malfunctioned and got it replaced and after a day or two I picked it up. The last time, I took it to another place (since I moved) and, not only was it about $10-20 cheaper, they fixed it faster lol.

Yeah, the fatass PS3 models aren't very reliable, but alas, I'm nostalgic and I'm not in a position to spend $300~ on stuff that's not essential for my survival. Then again, a friend has had his since 2008 (he bought the PS3 bundle after his other PS3 was accidentally murdered by his cousins or something) and it hasn't sufferred any kind of issues yet.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Wait a minute...looks like the X:COM save might be intact. It appears that the file on PS+ isn't overwritten until the upload is 100% successful, which makes sense from an automation point of view when using Auto-Save.

That means only one small UFO mission to repeat...thank fuckity fuck :phew:

With that in mind, I replaced the dead Fatty with a new second-hand Slim. It was cheaper to do that than repair the Fatboy properly. Spare parts for the Fat 60 isn't a bad trade-off.

illegal in 9 countries

Needed a break from X-COM for a couple of days, so I banged out Plat #30 - The Walking Dead.

The Walking Dead is more interactive movie than game, but enjoyable nonetheless. Your decisions feel meaningful, even though the story follows the same basic plotline no matter what choices you make. I killed off anyone who was a threat to the group, so not many survived

Now back to the X-COM grind - two playthroughs to go. My save game was safe afterall...thank Krom. After three playthroughs I'm over it and want to move on. Five are needed for the Plat.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-03-2013 at 07:45 PM.

> Restart Button <

I WAS going to check out your CL but all the pics are failing so I'll check this tonight at home. Congrats on The Walking Dead

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Beast Incarnate

Congrats on hitting 30 plats man, and on The Walking Dead plat

Local Drunk

Congrats on platting The Walking Dead mate and hitting 30 plats

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

PRO Member

Well done on TWD

#30 !

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Amazing Checlist so unique and beautiful i just have one question though why do u have 4 PS3 i understand that u love gaming we all do but what's the point of havin four consoles ??

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast