Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Denaratuck's 3P's (Platinum Procrastination Presentation)

This is a discussion on Denaratuck's 3P's (Platinum Procrastination Presentation) within the Trophy Checklists forum, part of the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles; Originally Posted by wandarer I hear ya on the DLC. I've resigned to just earning the plat on moving on ...

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    I hear ya on the DLC. I've resigned to just earning the plat on moving on myself. I do strive for the plat, but usually won't download the DLC. The only reason I had DLC trophies in Borderlands is because I gotten the GOTY edition, which came with the codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebit10 View Post
    I usualy don't bother with DLC either. Like Wandarer said. I get the plat and move on. Made some exceptions. got most of the dlc trophies in the first LBP, bought some of the extra cases for LA Noire and I have the episodes for liberty city and the undead nightmare disc for RDR.
    This is part of the reason why I almost wish trophies and achievements were never invented in the first place. If they weren't around I'd beat a game and move onto the next one unless it was really fun and kept me interested like how GoldenEye or Pefect Dark did pack on the N64 years ago. However, now they we have trophies and achievements, the completionist in me wants to earn 100% of the trophies before moving onto something else. Not to mention I feel bad when scrolling through my list and seeing so many 100%'s, I still have several games without the plat and DLC not finished.

I still don't know if I'll be able to finish everything, and realistically, I'm gonna have to force myself to do some things I don't really want to just for some stupid trophies. I'm just struggling with letting go of the trophies and moving on I guess.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    This is part of the reason why I almost wish trophies and achievements were never invented in the first place. If they weren't around I'd beat a game and move onto the next one unless it was really fun and kept me interested like how GoldenEye or Pefect Dark did pack on the N64 years ago. However, now they we have trophies and achievements, the completionist in me wants to earn 100% of the trophies before moving onto something else. Not to mention I feel bad when scrolling through my list and seeing so many 100%'s, I still have several games without the plat and DLC not finished.

I still don't know if I'll be able to finish everything, and realistically, I'm gonna have to force myself to do some things I don't really want to just for some stupid trophies. I'm just struggling with letting go of the trophies and moving on I guess.
    I guess part of me says instead of spending money on a lot of Dlc I can instead use that money for another game. The thing I am struggling with right now is trying to complete the games I have started instead of starting a new one but I get that urge every once in a while to start something new. I like have unplayed games but then again I don't. Another thing is a while back I got rid of some games I hadn't finished and I recently bought some of them again and plan on getting some of the others again that I need to complete that I either borrowed or rented and didn't finish.

In short I kind of agree with what you said about trophies. They can be a blessing and a curse.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Gotham's Reckoning

Ths is my problem too as I am a completionist myself and cannot stand to see a platted game with a bunch of several trophies that I have yet to get so I end up forking out for a PSN card which means it would be a while before I move onto a new game whereas before trophies even existed, I would move onto a new game even if a hadn't finished my current game.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by snakebit10 View Post
    I guess part of me says instead of spending money on a lot of Dlc I can instead use that money for another game. The thing I am struggling with right now is trying to complete the games I have started instead of starting a new one but I get that urge every once in a while to start something new. I like have unplayed games but then again I don't. Another thing is a while back I got rid of some games I hadn't finished and I recently bought some of them again and plan on getting some of the others again that I need to complete that I either borrowed or rented and didn't finish.

In short I kind of agree with what you said about trophies. They can be a blessing and a curse.
    Trophies definitely are a blessing a curse lol. I think my biggest problem now is the fact that I have more games than I ever did while growing up. Back during the NES and N64 era, I would only get a few games a year from my parents and unless I saved up money for weeks and months myself, that's all I would get. They had to last me for months at a time and we (my friends and myself) played them for hundreds of hours. Now all of my friends no longer live around me so I'm forced to play by myself or online with strangers. Also, throw in the fact I can buy and play any game I want, its just not the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gamelord-2007 View Post
    This is my problem too as I am a completionist myself and cannot stand to see a platted game with a bunch of several trophies that I have yet to get so I end up forking out for a PSN card which means it would be a while before I move onto a new game whereas before trophies even existed, I would move onto a new game even if a hadn't finished my current game.
    I know how you feel. I especially hate how Modern Warfare 3 ended up on my list while I was at a friends house and now if I want to get the game up to 100%, I'll have to buy all the DLC. I know that its going to be like Black Ops and have at least four DLC packs and at $15 a piece, that's another $60 I have to spend just to get the game at 100%!!!.

A plat a month!

I know how you feel. I especially hate how Modern Warfare 3 ended up on my list while I was at a friends house and now if I want to get the game up to 100%, I'll have to buy all the DLC. I know that its going to be like Black Ops and have at least four DLC packs and at $15 a piece, that's another $60 I have to spend just to get the game at 100%!!!.
    We must find a way to break you of this completionist mentality.

Beast Incarnate

I'm not too bothered about going for 100% in most games. Usually once I have the plat I'll trade that game in and get another, so by the time they release DLC I no longer have the game.

Its very admirable that you have that drive to get 100% in all games, I just can't do that, it can get very expensive and most DLC is very sub-par. Every now and then, if I like the game that much, then I'm happy to purchase DLC and go for the 100%, but I'm never too fussed. As long as I have the plat, then that's good enough for me.

Just do what makes you happy man, if getting the 100% is that important, then go for it. But if it annoys/frustrates you, and you don't enjoy it, then move on, otherwise you may burn yourself out and go off games all together.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    We must find a way to break you of this completionist mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post
    I'm not too bothered about going for 100% in most games. Usually once I have the plat I'll trade that game in and get another, so by the time they release DLC I no longer have the game.

Its very admirable that you have that drive to get 100% in all games, I just can't do that, it can get very expensive and most DLC is very sub-par. Every now and then, if I like the game that much, then I'm happy to purchase DLC and go for the 100%, but I'm never too fussed. As long as I have the plat, then that's good enough for me.

Just do what makes you happy man, if getting the 100% is that important, then go for it. But if it annoys/frustrates you, and you don't enjoy it, then move on, otherwise you may burn yourself out and go off games all together.
    Right now, that's the biggest issue. Breaking the urge to obtain 100% in every game. Its even affected how I approach my games. For example, I've had Street Fighter IV and Star Ocean: International for probably a year or so. However, because the trophies for those games are very time consuming or hard, I'll probably never play them, not on my main account at least.

Its funny cause I was talking to my younger brother today about certain games and the topic of trophies and achievements came up. He only plays the 360 while I only play my PS3. The biggest difference between the two is that when people compare them, if you're looking at someone achievements, really you're only concerned with how much total Gamer Score they have. Whereas when comparing someones trophies, the platinum number is what really matters to most people. You could have 10,000 Gamer Score for example and not have completed half of the achievements for every game and its still pretty impressive. However, if you look at someone with say 1,000 total trophies but only one or two platinum trophies, its not as impressive.

Beast Incarnate

Right now, that's the biggest issue. Breaking the urge to obtain 100% in every game. Its even affected how I approach my games. For example, I've had Street Fighter IV and Star Ocean: International for probably a year or so. However, because the trophies for those games are very time consuming or hard, I'll probably never play them, not on my main account at least.

Its funny cause I was talking to my younger brother today about certain games and the topic of trophies and achievements came up. He only plays the 360 while I only play my PS3. The biggest difference between the two is that when people compare them, if you're looking at someone achievements, really you're only concerned with how much total Gamer Score they have. Whereas when comparing someones trophies, the platinum number is what really matters to most people. You could have 10,000 Gamer Score for example and not have completed half of the achievements for every game and its still pretty impressive. However, if you look at someone with say 1,000 total trophies but only one or two platinum trophies, its not as impressive.
    Yeah I have quite a few friends with a 360, and I rarely hear them compare percentages from specific games, but they always compare gamer score. Its the price we pay for picking PS3, but I still prefer the trophy system.

Just forget 100%'s for a while, play what you want to play, whether it be for a platinum or not, just play what takes your fancy. Then, if you still absolutely must get 100% in everything, go back to the games after you've taken the break. Personally, unless you really loved the game, I think its a waste of time for you to go for 100%. As I said before, you'll just end up burning yourself out.

As for Star Ocean, I too have that in my back log, but I'm saving it for a special number

Player Hater

I admire the 100% approach. I'm trying to update my list as much as I can to try and achieve 100% in most titles, but for me it will be an impossible task. I have heaps of no longer plattable games as well as games with DLC I will never achieve. I kinda wished I planned my playing a little bit better from the start, but there's no point starting again. I'm too proud of what I've currently got.

Royal Flush X2

I usually just care about the platinum, DLC eh if it seems fun then I might get them. I think Star Ocean you would get but yeah it would probably be the only you'll play for the rest of the year for the plat. If you want that 100% avoid Street Fighter IV like the plague.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by DragonWolfVII View Post
    Yeah I have quite a few friends with a 360, and I rarely hear them compare percentages from specific games, but they always compare gamer score. Its the price we pay for picking PS3, but I still prefer the trophy system.

Just forget 100%'s for a while, play what you want to play, whether it be for a platinum or not, just play what takes your fancy. Then, if you still absolutely must get 100% in everything, go back to the games after you've taken the break. Personally, unless you really loved the game, I think its a waste of time for you to go for 100%. As I said before, you'll just end up burning yourself out.

As for Star Ocean, I too have that in my back log, but I'm saving it for a special number
    I agree with you and like the trophy system over the Gamer Score. However, its still hard to go for new plats knowing that I have stuff unfinished on my list now. After the summer my play time will drop drastically and I barely want to play anything now and I have tons of time.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    I admire the 100% approach. I'm trying to update my list as much as I can to try and achieve 100% in most titles, but for me it will be an impossible task. I have heaps of no longer plattable games as well as games with DLC I will never achieve. I kinda wished I planned my playing a little bit better from the start, but there's no point starting again. I'm too proud of what I've currently got.
    I definitely wouldn't start over. I thought about it in the past, but now I feel like I've come to far to do it. Plus, I wouldn't want to replay a lot of the games I've already done.

Quote Originally Posted by omnislash View Post
    I usually just care about the platinum, DLC eh if it seems fun then I might get them. I think Star Ocean you would get but yeah it would probably be the only you'll play for the rest of the year for the plat. If you want that 100% avoid Street Fighter IV like the plague.
    Well I normally don't like fighting games and only bought SFIV because it was the last copy left at my local WalMart for only $10 so I couldn't pass that deal up, even if it was just another game to pad my collection with. I know you'll finish it off one day just like you did with MvC3 and NGS2. Then you'll have another great plat to add to your already great collection.

Legend...Nuff Said

Whereas when comparing someones trophies, the platinum number is what really matters to most people. You could have 10,000 Gamer Score for example and not have completed half of the achievements for every game and its still pretty impressive. However, if you look at someone with say 1,000 total trophies but only one or two platinum trophies, its not as impressive.
    When I was but a wee child I used to believe in the hype known as platinums. I thought, wow, look at all those shiny platinums. Aren't they cool? But then I grew up and realized a platinum is just a free trophy you get for doing everything else. I could have 100 platinums but if I only played Hannah Montana's what does that say? But then again why should that matter if I only played Hannah Montana's if it's what I like to play?

My point being is just play and enjoy. Screw the 100%'s or platinums because at the end of the day there is going to be one game that ends up fucking you up because of a glitch or server issue, and you'll hit that wall at full speed. Best to take a deep breathe, and run the car into the wall yourself at a safer speed. At the end of the day over 50% of the trophies in games are to do stupid shit that realistically a person would never do. Seriously, why would I ever have the urge to make 500 magical objects in a single stage in Trine 1, or however many you need for the trophy. Seriously, it takes longer to do that than beat half the game.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I appreciate how you feel mate and its always nice when you look at your trophy collection and see a nice streak of 100%'s and yours is certainly a collection to be proud of.I usually just go for the plat and then im happy.The plat count matters to me and then if i enjoyed a game so much then ill go get the dlc like i did with Castlevania:LoS.I also agree with yourself when you say that if trophies werent invented,id probably play then move on just like i did back in the day,i too played Goldeneye on the N64 and lost countless hours but it was such a great game.The perfectionist in you is reflected in your trophy collection and i take my hat off to you good sir and i hope you eventually break this curse if you like and just play to plat and not worry about anything else.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    When I was but a wee child I used to believe in the hype known as platinums. I thought, wow, look at all those shiny platinums. Aren't they cool? But then I grew up and realized a platinum is just a free trophy you get for doing everything else. I could have 100 platinums but if I only played Hannah Montana's what does that say? But then again why should that matter if I only played Hannah Montana's if it's what I like to play?

My point being is just play and enjoy. Screw the 100%'s or platinums because at the end of the day there is going to be one game that ends up fucking you up because of a glitch or server issue, and you'll hit that wall at full speed. Best to take a deep breathe, and run the car into the wall yourself at a safer speed. At the end of the day over 50% of the trophies in games are to do stupid shit that realistically a person would never do. Seriously, why would I ever have the urge to make 500 magical objects in a single stage in Trine 1, or however many you need for the trophy. Seriously, it takes longer to do that than beat half the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    I appreciate how you feel mate and its always nice when you look at your trophy collection and see a nice streak of 100%'s and yours is certainly a collection to be proud of.I usually just go for the plat and then im happy.The plat count matters to me and then if i enjoyed a game so much then ill go get the dlc like i did with Castlevania:LoS.I also agree with yourself when you say that if trophies werent invented,id probably play then move on just like i did back in the day,i too played Goldeneye on the N64 and lost countless hours but it was such a great game.The perfectionist in you is reflected in your trophy collection and i take my hat off to you good sir and i hope you eventually break this curse if you like and just play to plat and not worry about anything else.
    Thanks for the comments and support guys. Even though I still haven't given up on my goal of getting 100% of the trophies which is annoying and painful at times. I am felling pretty good as I've made some good progress in Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011 which I was dreading going back to. Hopefully I'll be able to get the plat in the next few days but with a buddy flying home today for two weeks, it'll probably be put on hold.

Platinum Procrastinator

Well after not getting much of anything done over the last few weeks it feels good to announce that today I finished off my professional run of Resident Evil 4 bringing the game to 100% as well as giving me 101 games in total sitting at 100%.

After doing two playthroughs back to back, it put me in the mood to start Resident Evil 5 which I've had sitting on my shelf for almost two years. However, I've seen a lot of people show interest in playing Red Dead Redemption so I might try and finish off the DLC for that and bring it back to 100% instead.

Finally, even though I haven't earned a platinum trophy in a long time and it'll probably be awhile yet before I go for another one, I have to say I'm finally starting to feel good about earning trophies again because for the longest time I was burned out due to college and from all of the trophy competitions I've entered in the past. I think from now on, I'll be picking my games more carefully and will worry about the fun factor more so than my platinum count.

Retired...

I feel you, those long and hard time consuming games do slow progress for plat hunting as that what it has been like for me most of this year.

Congrats on your 100% PSN. I really love RE5 so much on my PC before I bought my first PS3 especially Albert Wesker because I love his style! Good luck in your pursuit of RE5's platinum!

Signature made by dsluckay & PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

The One and Only

Congratz on your new plat, and I completely understand where you're coming from with being burnt out on trophies. You working hard on earning trophies in trophy competitions, being tired from college, all of that kinda helps you realize that maybe trophies are a bit much of a hassle. Playing a game for the fun factor then becomes more important to you, and it's more enjoyable playing games when not so worried about trophies, even though you still have it in you to earn trophies, right? Have fun in your ongoing gaming adventures.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Change is mediocre

Nice job on Resident Evil 4's 100% man. We all go through burn out sessions, and it looks like you hit it big time. Hopefully you can get back on your feet with Resident Evil 5 though. I played about 5 minutes of that game when I had a friend over. It was his and he had to leave, so he took the game with him. Forever 0%

Beast Incarnate

Congratulations on your new 100% man. I'm glad you have got your motivation back, the way I'm playing lately you'll soon catch me back up again. Good luck with RE5 man, I've got that too and its sat on my shelf for years.

illegal in 9 countries

Well after not getting much of anything done over the last few weeks it feels good to announce that today I finished off my professional run of Resident Evil 4 bringing the game to 100% as well as giving me 101 games in total sitting at 100%.

After doing two playthroughs back to back, it put me in the mood to start Resident Evil 5 which I've had sitting on my shelf for almost two years. However, I've seen a lot of people show interest in playing Red Dead Redemption so I might try and finish off the DLC for that and bring it back to 100% instead.

Finally, even though I haven't earned a platinum trophy in a long time and it'll probably be awhile yet before I go for another one, I have to say I'm finally starting to feel good about earning trophies again because for the longest time I was burned out due to college and from all of the trophy competitions I've entered in the past. I think from now on, I'll be picking my games more carefully and will worry about the fun factor more so than my platinum count.
    Nice work trooper. I've been meaning to crack the seal on RE5 myself and I've been planning to get back into RDR to knock over the Plat.

I've had a week's break from the PS3 to catch up on work and play with my checklist. As much as looking at my trophy card mildly depresses me and makes me want to clean it up, it's been nice not to push pressure on myself during downtime to achieve anything other than rest and relaxation.

Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast