Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

How-To: Rebuild The PS3 Database For Better Speed

This is a discussion on How-To: Rebuild The PS3 Database For Better Speed within the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s I'm one of those folks warning against this too. If you're running a large HDD in ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I'm one of those folks warning against this too.

If you're running a large HDD in your PS3 (100GB+), it can corrupt it leaving the drive unreadable. I've had this happen twice http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ne...y&p=10175while running this tool.

Sony built the Backup / Restore, Transfer and Recovery Menu tools with the 60GB launch model in mind. They don't work properly when you get into the 250GB+ territory.

If you're having problems with the speed of your PS3, a clean format is the way to go.
    Yep, happened to me once. And ya, the bigger the HD the easier it seems to corrupt.

Lvl 7 - Gold

i think people who do this and think that its making things run smoother or faster are imagining things,kind of like a placebo effect.ive tried it a few times and i cant tell a bit of difference.

Lvl 5 - Silver

thanks for reposting it
    PERFECT PLATINUM STREAK

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    i think people who do this and think that its making things run smoother or faster are imagining things,kind of like a placebo effect.ive tried it a few times and i cant tell a bit of difference.
    This.

I still do it once a month anyway just for the placebo effect.

As for it screwing up your HDD if you have more than 100+ GB, I personally think that's B.S. Maybe on a few rare occasions, but not consistently enough.

I have a 320GB and never had any problems.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    This.

I still do it once a month anyway just for the placebo effect.

As for it screwing up your HDD if you have more than 100+ GB, I personally think that's B.S. Maybe on a few rare occasions, but not consistently enough.

I have a 320GB and never had any problems.
    Of course you think it's BS because it hasn't happened to you yet. And the theory is it happens more often with larger HD's that have a lot of content on them. You have a 320gb HD but how much is used? But don't take it from me, Anth and I have both run the utility and got fk'ed. We both had to format and start fresh on our HD because of it. Now I've been fk'ed by it more than 4x due to it forcing you to do a database rebuild when it finds a corrupt file. A 320gb is small, this has happened to my 1tb 1x, 1 of my 500gb 2x, and another 500gb 1x. Each time I had 200-300 PSN games installed + game data for a bunch of retailed games. With that much content on the HD, it can become corrupt very easily. Even if you try your best to take care of your system. The XMB is shit when it comes to this. It happens all the time, so I'd say it's pretty fking consistent to the point I never have more than 250gb's taken up on my systems anymore.

Get bent...

Now, now. Don't get your panties in a twist.

I've been doing the database rebuild and the file restore about once a month.

I don't think either one of them help all that much the way others believe. I've never noticed any change whatsoever after doing those.

However, I still do it because the "placebo effect" gives me that false sense of security that I crave.

I only have about 4-5GB left on my HDD due to all the music, installed games, photos, and movies. So it's pretty full.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    ud think itd work though! makes sense that freeing up space should make it quicker but, no such luck. tried it myself, but i agree, cant tell a difference really.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I dont know if i should try this after seeing these negative comments, sometimes the sound comes and goes and maybe this will fix this, i have a 320g what do yall think i should do?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTMARE View Post
    I dont know if i should try this after seeing these negative comments, sometimes the sound comes and goes and maybe this will fix this, i have a 320g what do yall think i should do?
    I would look into your TV and cable first, are your HDMI/AV cables faulty?

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    Now, now. Don't get your panties in a twist.

I've been doing the database rebuild and the file restore about once a month.

I don't think either one of them help all that much the way others believe. I've never noticed any change whatsoever after doing those.

However, I still do it because the "placebo effect" gives me that false sense of security that I crave.

I only have about 4-5GB left on my HDD due to all the music, installed games, photos, and movies. So it's pretty full.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
    Just listing facts of what I've experienced, and I'm not alone. And I have never experienced a increased speed from doing this as well. But I'd never do it again anyways just based off my experience. How many hours do you spend on your ps3(s) and are you installing and deleting games often? Maybe because you run it on a monthly basis you eliminate the chance of your HD ever becoming corrupted. Or possibly your playing games that were developed really well for the Ps3 .

Quote Originally Posted by Frostmourne89 View Post
    ud think itd work though! makes sense that freeing up space should make it quicker but, no such luck. tried it myself, but i agree, cant tell a difference really.
    It's not really freeing up space.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I'm one of those folks warning against this too.

If you're running a large HDD in your PS3 (100GB+), it can corrupt it leaving the drive unreadable. I've had this happen twice while running this tool.

Sony built the Backup / Restore, Transfer and Recovery Menu tools with the 60GB launch model in mind. They don't work properly when you get into the 250GB+ territory.

If you're having problems with the speed of your PS3, a clean format is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Yes, I was one of the users warning people. That and unless your system is really corrupt, you will not notice a difference in speed after doing this.
    Okay, I was about to try this, but now I'm not. I've seen that both of you know what you're talking about in other posts... thanks for the tip. Imaginary rep your way.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

+1

I'd just like to add I was having problems with a psn while playing black ops, I forget which error code.

My issues were being kicked off after 15 minutes and starting the game with a 5 second delay, so I never capped the first flag while playing domination.

Rebuilding the hd fixed both these issues instantly.
    FML

Lvl 3 - Bronze

When having issues that stop you from using you PS3 effectively, this is the way to go. Otherwise, if you're just looking for a speed boost, not really advised. Your PS3 isn't broken so don't try and fix it.

An old-fashioned cowboy

Yeah I've done this twice and haven't really notice any difference in speed. One more thing i should mention is that doing this deletes your custom music playlists. The actual music stays fine but just the playlists themselves get deleted.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks for re-posting! First time i've rebuilt the database in a while and just wanted to refresh myself on accessing the recovery menu. Thanks

PSN: joshualeuty96-2-
    XBL Gamertag: joshualeuty1996
    I DON'T ACCEPT BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS, IF YOU WANT TO ADD ME SAY YOU ARE FROM PS3TROPHIES.COM IN THE FRIEND REQUEST MESSAGE!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I have a 320GB HDD and it worked fine, but after reading some comments i got pretty scared D:

Lvl 1 - Bronze

My policy is... If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i have 320g slim and lately I'm experiencing slow loading in all of my games. I have already tried the recover system files but it does not fix the problem. Should I try this rebuild database?

Lvl 4 - Silver

I normally rebuild my data base when my PS3 freezes just for safety measures. It doesn't take much time. Good guide though on how to do it.

Signature And Avatar Made By DjungList!
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Platinum #10

Hidden Saint

I will do this, since mine is slowing down, and I recently got Arkham City and I want it running like hell

deviantART
    Check pieces I do on Photoshop

Thunder's Checklist
    Make your opinion about my checklist

The Thundercloud
    Request me some art [closed by now]

Avatar and signature by apokolypz
    Platinum bar by me, request on my shop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast