This is a good thing to do from time to time to keep your PS3 running smoothly and happy. I did this for the first time in over 4 years, so long over due. Earlier this week I was trying to watch some videos off the internal hard drive and it was lagging and sound came in and out for some reason.
So I thought I’d try to rebuild the PS3 database to see if it would fix it. It was perfect after that. So if you have other slow down, a weird glitch or maybe your trophies take a while to sync this would be wise to do. Check out the FAQ at the bottom of this post if you have any queries.
- Turn off your PS3 so you see that glowing red light we are all familiar with.
- Turn on your PS3 and HOLD the power button. Keep holding until it turns off.
- Now turn it on again but this time it will be a little different. Press and hold the power button and you will hear. 1 Beep …. 1 Beep ….. then 2 quick Beeps at this point release the power button. If you release it to late it will just turn off again. Return to step 2 if this happens.
- You will be greeted with a screen asking you to connect a controller with a USB cable.
- Welcome to the PS3 Recovery Menu you’ve made it! Select option 4 “Rebuild Database” and press X. For info on what the other options do check out the FAQ tab.
- After pressing X you will see this screen. Just select Yes to continue. Don’t worry this won’t takes hours. I have a 160GB hard drive and it took less than 5 minutes. Anyway after pressing X your PS3 will reboot.
- If you have a HDMI cable you’ll see this screen. Obviously select yes. If you connect your PS3 another way you’ll get a simliar screen. Just select yes.
- Press X and sit back and wait for a few minutes and let it do it’s magic.
- The rebuild database in action, pretty exciting eh? Like I said earlier this took about 5 minutes for me.
- After it’s complete your PS3 will reboot and your hard drive will be as happy as Sackboy is above!
Question: What do I lose from doing this?
Answer: It will remove messages received and sent. Any playlists you have set up. If you organize your games/videos/music/photos into albums or as I like to call them “folders” you will have to set that up again.
Question: Will this delete any game saves or game data on my PS3?
Question: Will this delete any of my games, photos, music or videos?
Question: Will this remove or effect my trophies in any way?
Question: Will this work on any PS3 Console?
Answer: Yes all PS3′s have this recovery menu.
Question: Will this damage my PS3?
Answer: Not at all
Question: What about my other accounts on the PS3?
Answer: You will not have to re-activate the accounts on your PS3.
Question: What do the other options in the recovery menu do?
- Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION 3 System.
- Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
- Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
- Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION 3.
- Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
- System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION 3 System