Tools for Writing Trophy Guides, Creating Themes, and Recording Gameplay

This is a discussion on Tools for Writing Trophy Guides, Creating Themes, and Recording Gameplay within the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Since getting into writing trophy guides, recording videos and creating themes I've come across some good (and mostly free) tools. ...

Synthwave <3

Tools for Writing Trophy Guides, Creating Themes, and Recording Gameplay

Since getting into writing trophy guides, recording videos and creating themes I've come across some good (and mostly free) tools. I thought I'd share them on here as it might make some of your lives easier (especially if you're just getting into this kind of stuff). Feel free to post anything that you've found to be useful as I always like to try out new things.

Trophy Guides:

Google Docs - I’m in love with Google Docs. Not only is it free but I don’t have to worry about losing anything if my computer crashes. Every time I type something it saves it instantly. I can also access my saved files from any computer with internet access and send my files via e-mail very easily.

Box.com - Yet another service that makes life easier. You can start off with a free 5 GB plan to see if you like it and upgrade from there whenever you want. There are so many uses for Box that I won’t go into them all. I like using Box for backing up various files. You can upload documents, pictures, music, videos, and more. You can easily access these files via the internet on any computer, Android device or iPad. You can also easily share your files with others if you want. You can also invite people to collaborate on files with you. You can also use Google Docs in your Box and it will automatically save it to your Box for you.

How-To: Use the Forum's BBCode
    - here is a guide by Manny on how to use this site's BB Code, which can be useful in your guides and other threads.

Photo editing and image hosting:

Picasa - This is one of my favorite free photo-editing programs. It doesn’t have extensive tools, but it definitely does the job that I need it to do.

Fotosizer - This is a free simple-to-use program that allows you to resize multiple images and change image formats.

If you need a free place to host your images here are some good sites:

imgur
    Photobucket
    Photoshop
    Flikr

Gameplay recording:

Arcsoft Total Media Extreme - This program came free with our Hauppauge HD PVR. I like it because it’s free and easy to use!

Windows Live Movie Maker - This is a free program that you can use to make your videos look more polished. You can easily add pictures, slides and captions to your videos. You can also add some cool effects.

Media Player Classic - I like to use this free program to capture and save screenshots from videos.

Theme creating:

PS3 Theme Builder - This is a great free program provided by Lili Chan that you can use to create your own PS3 themes. This program is pretty easy to use and there are plenty of tutorials on the internet if you need help.

Xross Media Simulator - Another free program by Lili Chan. This one allows you to preview the themes you have created so that you can see what they will look like on a PS3.

Dynamic Theme Editor - I haven’t had a chance to use this program yet, but it’s on my list of things-to-do. This is a free program by zembor0. It allows you to edit dynamic themes and replace the images within them with your own. You can also exclude existing images/effects.

GIMP 2 - This is another program on my bucket list as I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. GIMP is a free software graphics application for the editing and creation of original images, icons, graphical elements of web pages and art for user interface elements. To make dynamic themes you will need something like Photoshop. This was recommended to me as a good free alternative to Photoshop.

I hope you find this list useful. What tools do you like to use that you can recommend?
    Last edited by bnecker717; 06-21-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hey there! Fantastic thread. Very helpful. Definitely worth some rep as soon as I can dish some out again!

I do have one question though. Clearly, you use the HD PVR to record gameplay and take pics. I was considering getting this but was wondering what other options there are for me. Do you have any knowledge/experience of any other tools (hardware or software) that allow you to record and take screenshots?

PRO Member

Good thread, I thought I'd just share another free image hosting site, Minus.

http://min.us/rbhZUZPt <--- If you use that link to sign up, we both get an extra free GB of storage, you normally start off with 10GB.
    Last edited by SideEffect; 06-22-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Sig by - ~ Avatar by - DaRe

Zombie Killin' Business
    Are you a Professional Zombie Slayer? Join now!

Side Project
    My (incomplete) checklist, and trophy guides.

The GGA
    Sig Battles, SotW, SotM, and more!

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

Synthwave <3

Quote Originally Posted by UKobra View Post
    Hey there! Fantastic thread. Very helpful. Definitely worth some rep as soon as I can dish some out again!

I do have one question though. Clearly, you use the HD PVR to record gameplay and take pics. I was considering getting this but was wondering what other options there are for me. Do you have any knowledge/experience of any other tools (hardware or software) that allow you to record and take screenshots?
    Thanks! I'm glad that it helped you and thanks in advance for the rep!

I researched some other recorders before purchasing the Hauppauge HD PVR, but wasn't very impressed by their capabilities. I was looking for something that could record in HD. The others I found were good prices but didn't record in hd or had black bars on the sides.

Here are the names of some of the other recorders out there so that you can research them:

Dazzle
    Roxio
    Pinnacle Video Transfer
    Movie Box
    Intensity Pro

If anyone can think of anymore to add please share. Something I would really like to see in the future is a recorder that can record 1920x1080p on the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by SideEffect View Post
    Good thread, I thought I'd just share another free image hosting site, Minus.

http://min.us/rbhZUZP <--- If you use that link to sign up, we both get an extra free GB of storage, you normally start off with 10GB.
    Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard of that site, but will have to check it out. There are a few other good sites I've come across since my OP. I'll add them soon.

EDIT: I clicked your link SideEffect but it said that the page couldn't be found.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks Bnecker. I've looked into a couple of them, including Roxio. Main problem for me is that, from what I've seen, you need a laptop or computer handy via USB to initiate recording on most of them. That's an issue for me as the nearest computer for me is ten metres away in another room. If only there was a way of recording from an app in the PS3 or simply via the hardware of the recorder. Hm...

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by bnecker717 View Post
    EDIT: I clicked your link SideEffect but it said that the page couldn't be found.
    Fixed, lol.

Sig by - ~ Avatar by - DaRe

Zombie Killin' Business
    Are you a Professional Zombie Slayer? Join now!

Side Project
    My (incomplete) checklist, and trophy guides.

The GGA
    Sig Battles, SotW, SotM, and more!

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

Synthwave <3

Quote Originally Posted by UKobra View Post
    Thanks Bnecker. I've looked into a couple of them, including Roxio. Main problem for me is that, from what I've seen, you need a laptop or computer handy via USB to initiate recording on most of them. That's an issue for me as the nearest computer for me is ten metres away in another room. If only there was a way of recording from an app in the PS3 or simply via the hardware of the recorder. Hm...
    You're welcome! Yeah, that does pose a problem, doesn't it? We're lucky that we have a laptop which works out for the recording, but I'm not sure what other options there are. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by SideEffect View Post
    Fixed, lol.
    Yay, thanks!

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Very informative stuff. Me and a friend are working on a legit YT channel with trophy guides and walkthroughs, live streaming too, should be up by the new year and be really cool.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Capturing the video is one thing. Do you have an experience to share on how most efficiently to prepare the videos for upload (cutting, adding additional commentary by speech or in writing, etc.)?