How-To: Set Up a DMZ for Better PS3 Online Performance

This is a discussion on How-To: Set Up a DMZ for Better PS3 Online Performance within the Trophy Guides, Reviews & Articles forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This is a guide for setting up a DMZ for your PS3. This will open all ports with your internet ...

On the edge

How-To: Set Up a DMZ for Better PS3 Online Performance

This is a guide for setting up a DMZ for your PS3.

This will open all ports with your internet connection so that you will be less likely to encounter problems such as: Issues with headsets (either not being heard by others or by others not being able to hear you) / Issues with joining private/public games / Connectivity and stability issues with PSN.

We will start with the PS3 side.

You will need to make a static IP address for your PS3. (By manually assigning an IP address for your console you are just ensuring that it will always have the same IP address every time that it is connected to the internet.....when you choose 'automatic', you risk the console being assigned a different address)

Now on your XMB go to SETTINGS -> NETWORK SETTINGS -> INTERNET CONNECTION SETTINGS -> CUSTOM.

Choose if you are going to be using wired or wireless and then enter your WLAN and WLAN Security Settings.

When you get to the IP ADDRESS SETTING menu select MANUAL and enter the following...

IP ADDRESS - 192.168.1.50 (This is going to be the manually assigned static address)

Now for SUBNET MASK and DEFAULT ROUTER do this:
    Get on your computer and go to:
    START -> RUN -> Type in cmd in the box and then click OK -> When the MS-Dos
    window pops up then type in ipconfig and then hit enter.

Enter what is shown for SUBNET MASK and then enter the numbers from the DEFAULT GATEWAY on your computer for the DEFAULT ROUTER.

As for the PRIMARY and SECONDARY DNS you can take this link to find a list of free public DNS servers --> Free Fast Public DNS Servers List

After you enter everything on that page then click:
    MTU - AUTOMATIC
    PROXY SERVER - DO NOT USE
    UPnP - ENABLE

Now hit to save settings and then turn off the PS3 system for now.

Now you will need to go to your router's configuration page by typing in the DEFAULT GATEWAY address into the address bar of your computers browser. (For Linksys owners, the default address is 192.168.1.1 and then enter admin for username and password if prompted)

On the configuration page go to the APPLICATIONS AND GAMING tab -> then go to DMZ.

Check the ENABLE option and enter 192.168.1.50 (your PS3's static address) into the destination address box.

Click on SAVE SETTINGS and then exit.

Now just for safe measures make sure to turn off the router and the PS3 for a few minutes and then restart the router then PS3 so that the new settings can take effect.

That is all that there is to it. Hopefully now you will have a much better connection with a lot less problems.

sig by Mercinarie

Get bent...

Does this also help download speeds when downloading from the PS Store or getting updates?
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Great Guide mate, i will definitely try this out, will any of this improve download speeds or online play speed? And if there is any issue, is it completely possible to resort back to old settings?

Latest Platinum: Trine 2
    Currently Playing: Dead Rising 2: Off The Record (22%) Bioshock 2 (7%) Brutal Legend (6%) The Walking Dead (20%)
    Recent studies have shown, there is direct inverse correlation between the amount of trophies a gamer has, and the lack of sex he/she is getting-Some Guy

On the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    Does this also help download speeds when downloading from the PS Store or getting updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead_Cannibal View Post
    Great Guide mate, i will definitely try this out, will any of this improve download speeds or online play speed? And if there is any issue, is it completely possible to resort back to old settings?
    It will increase overall connectivity but it is highly recommended for better online play.

sig by Mercinarie

illegal in 9 countries

Adding your PS3 to the DMZ is primarily to help with dodgy multiplayer servers, like EA's. The most noticeable difference is the stability of your connection, you won't get booted from the servers as often.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Get bent...

This would be great, but I can't really change the new static IP in my DMZ settings on my gateway.

You said to change the PS3 IP to 192.168.1.50 but when I go into my gateway settings, it only allows me to change the last 2 digits (the .50 basically). It's forcing me to leave the IP as 192.168.0.whatever.

Any ideas?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

the .0 will be because the default gateway for your router is likely 192.168.0.1. Check on the ipconfig through command prompt for that. Most routers use 192.168.0 or.1 for the gateway. So in effect it's the same set of instructions, just substitute the penultimate number.

If someone else has set up the router and everything for you, it is possible that they have put on some custom settings, but the difference for you is minimal.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

Get bent...

I kinda figured as much, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks for the input.

Lvl 5 - Silver

nice guide, will try it out, but is this for headset or overall?
    PERFECT PLATINUM STREAK

The Shadow

Now you will need to go to your router's configuration page by typing in the DEFAULT GATEWAY address into the address bar of your computers browser?

IM STUCK ON THAT pls take a [pic on what you suppose to do now
    Meh........

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

help please....when trying to get ot my default gateway address im presented with username and password and when i type in admin for both pw and username it does not work...any ideas?

EDIT: i got in but now i dont have an application and gaming tab
    im using a netgear router
    Last edited by The Secret Society; 01-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Awesome Guide, thanks man

On the edge

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    help please....when trying to get ot my default gateway address im presented with username and password and when i type in admin for both pw and username it does not work...any ideas?

EDIT: i got in but now i dont have an application and gaming tab
    im using a netgear router
    Netgear is a bit different but I can still help......here > DMZ - Netgear

sig by Mercinarie

On the edge

Quote Originally Posted by saumiyan View Post
    nice guide, will try it out, but is this for headset or overall?
    Overall

sig by Mercinarie

Lvl 7 - Gold

Will this mess up anything else for anybody in the household? For example, if I were to do this to my PS3, would somebody else be fucked by doing this in the same house/same router?

I would like to know because before I try this out, I want to make sure nobody will have any problems if I were to do this.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Putting your PS3 in the DMZ means that anything that is sent to your router from outside your private network, ie in the home, goes to the PS3 by default. If a pc in the home calls a web page then that will go to the pc that calls it. This is assuming that the dmz is set up properly.

Mine is set up in the dmz on my netgear and none of the other devices on my network have a problem.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Gave this a try and actually lost speed. Tested it twice and noticed a 4-5/mbps speed decrease when I switched to DMZ. So I left it on default. Thanks anyways for the idea.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

I found this exact method on http://www.**************** and i did it, turns out it made no difference absolutely, so i changed mine backed to normal settings. TBH, i think it made it worse than normal, i kept disconnecting.
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

The Site Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by ichris26 View Post
    Netgear is a bit different but I can still help......here > DMZ - Netgear
    My Netgear is not listed, I checked everywhere for DMZ but couldn't find it. While I would love more stability my current router is quite stable, 150MB/S transfer speeds on the 2.5 GHTz band and 300 MG/S on the 5GHTz band. Overall great guide.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend and brotha DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.